Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-30-2022, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pio1980 View Post
The article was wrong on one point. A criminal conviction alone won't keep tRump from running in 2024. It will take the Dems being in control of the Senate in the interim. If the Repubs gain control of the Senate anything Donny gets convicted of will get tossed. No rule will be unbent, no law will immune from a set aside in their quest to but their leader in the top spot.
Old 01-30-2022, 10:06 AM

^^I don't see how the Senate plays a role if 45 gets criminally convicted. Also technically a moot point since the constitution does not bar a felon from running for POTUS. Per the constitution, the candidate should be 35 years old, native born and a resident of America.

The Resolute desk may have to be moved to Sing Sing, or Trump Tower if 45 gets home confinement. Trump will probably launch a lawsuit that he wants the desk moved to Mar-a-Lago.
Old 01-30-2022, 10:48 AM

Valid point except the GOP doesn't give a rat's ass about the US Constitution if it gets in their way to control of the country. If they did they'd have done something about Bunker Boys flouting of the constitution already. Rules are made to be broken ya' know
Old 01-30-2022, 06:51 PM

from the article I posted a link to

"..........Short of treason, a related federal law prohibiting rebellion or insurrection states that a person who incites “any rebellion or insurrection against the authority of the United States or the laws thereof, or gives aid or comfort thereto,” has committed a serious felony and is disqualified from holding federal office. This description is similar to the current article of impeachment against Trump: “for inciting violence against the Government of the United States.” If two-thirds of senators vote to convict Trump, a majority of the Senate could then vote to bar him from future federal office. But a Senate conviction requires the votes of at least seventeen Republicans and, so far, looks unlikely. A federal criminal conviction for inciting rebellion or insurrection may offer an alternative route to disqualifying Trump from holding office............"

and a clip of the federal law talked about in the above paragraph

"18 U.S. Code § 2383 - Rebellion or insurrection
U.S. Code

Whoever incites, sets on foot, assists, or engages in any rebellion or insurrection against the authority of the United States or the laws thereof, or gives aid or comfort thereto, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

(June 25, 1948, ch. 645, 62 Stat. 808; Pub. L. 103–322, title XXXIII, § 330016(1)(L), Sept. 13, 1994, 108 Stat. 2147.)"

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/2383

Last edited by JCricket; 01-30-2022 at 06:53 PM.
Old 01-30-2022, 07:05 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCricket View Post

"..........Short of treason, a related federal law prohibiting rebellion or insurrection states that a person who incites “any rebellion or insurrection against the authority of the United States or the laws thereof, or gives aid or comfort thereto,” has committed a serious felony and is disqualified from holding federal office. This description is similar to the current article of impeachment against Trump: “for inciting violence against the Government of the United States.” If two-thirds of senators vote to convict Trump, a majority of the Senate could then vote to bar him from future federal office. But a Senate conviction requires the votes of at least seventeen Republicans and, so far, looks unlikely. A federal criminal conviction for inciting rebellion or insurrection may offer an alternative route to disqualifying Trump from holding office............"
AKA political suicide. None of them have the stones to do what's right.
Old 01-30-2022, 07:34 PM
Ready

What is done by statute can be undone by statute, so yes the Repubs could remove Trumps putative disability to hold office, by legislation. But not before 2024 in any case, unless they have to votes to overcome Biden's veto.

I really think the Trump saga will reach it's climax by means other than electoral, before the next presidential election.
Old 01-30-2022, 07:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
I feel it is treason. The question is weather or not the justice department determines this to be an act of war against the United States.
Treason is a very specific offense. To commit treason one has to get caught providing aid and comfort to an enemy nation during wartime. Nixon committed treason just before the 1968 election when he sabotaged the Paris peace talks.

Last edited by Ike Bana; 01-30-2022 at 08:07 PM.
Old 01-30-2022, 08:01 PM

Quote:

and a clip of the federal law talked about in the above paragraph

"18 U.S. Code § 2383 - Rebellion or insurrection
U.S. Code

Whoever incites, sets on foot, assists, or engages in any rebellion or insurrection against the authority of the United States or the laws thereof, or gives aid or comfort thereto, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

(June 25, 1948, ch. 645, 62 Stat. 808; Pub. L. 103–322, title XXXIII, § 330016(1)(L), Sept. 13, 1994, 108 Stat. 2147.)"

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/2383
The point I am referring to in my post is that there is a federal law that can bar him from holding office. This law is completely outside the reach of congress. They will have no say in the sentence if trump were to be convicted of this criminal law.
Old 01-31-2022, 07:10 AM

Just better hurry up and do it!
Old 01-31-2022, 07:43 AM

per trump

"If these radical, vicious racist prosecutors do anything wrong or illegal I hope we are going to have in this country the biggest protest we have ever had ... in Washington DC, in New York, in Atlanta and elsewhere because our country and our elections are corrupt"