Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-06-2009, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
I believe he is but I also believe he transformed our country and society for the worse.

John
That's kinda what I was implying. I don't know if I've mentioned it here before, but I'm not a fan.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:54 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonereal View Post
It's funny you say that.
People look at me like I have two heads when I tell them I used to be a Ronnie rah-rah and am now an Obama supporter. Seems you are supposed to get greedier the older you get, not the reverse. I tend to think the only thing that has change is that I have learned the truth about the poor and the robber barons.
My sister and I were talking about this just last weekend. It's striking the amount of people we each know who have said the same thing.

Dave
Old 11-06-2009, 09:00 PM
Area Man

Quote:
I believe he is but I also believe he transformed our country and society for the worse.

John
+1

"Conservatives are men of narrow vision, who live in constant fear of the future."-- FDR.

Does this sum up what you're thinking, John?

Dave
Old 11-06-2009, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
+1

"Conservatives are men of narrow vision, who live in constant fear of the future."-- FDR.

Does this sum up what you're thinking, John?

Dave
It's consistent with my view of Conservatives but doesn't really sum them up. I think John Dean's analysis of Conservatives in "Conservatives Without Conscience" offers some significant insight. He draws heavily on research into right-wing authoritarianism of University of Manitoba Professor Robert Altemeyer.

Dean maintains that Conservatism appeals to people with strong authoritarian tendencies, often a the result of being the children of strict parents who never really offered much in the way of love or nurture. Many are classic "kiss up, kick down" types.

John
Old 11-06-2009, 09:52 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
It's consistent with my view of Conservatives but doesn't really sum them up. I think John Dean's analysis of Conservatives in "Conservatives Without Conscience" offers some significant insight. He draws heavily on research into right-wing authoritarianism of University of Manitoba Professor Robert Altemeyer.

Dean maintains that Conservatism appeals to people with strong authoritarian tendencies, often a the result of being the children of strict parents who never really offered much in the way of love or nurture. Many are classic "kiss up, kick down" types.

John
Family values includes beating your kids into submission? Nurturing is for sissies?

Ever wonder what kind of upbringing O'Reilly or Limbaugh had? Do people learn that level of arrogance from their parents?

I'm glad I didn't rely on physical punishment with my kids to establish authority, cause they could both probably take me down now. They did, however, consider my lectures cruel and unusual punishment.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 11-07-2009, 05:57 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
They did, however, consider my lectures cruel and unusual punishment.
so do we

Old 11-07-2009, 07:23 AM
Resident octogenarian

Speaking as someone who considers himself to be a conservative I would argue that there are no conservatives in the GOP. I don't excatly know what it is that they are, probably all the worst things of libertarianism.

The expression that sums of conservatism to me is "Don't throw out the baby with the bath water." Of course back then the proper name of my party was The Pregressive Conservative Party of Canada. Basically you don't fix what is not broken and you remain open minded.
Old 11-07-2009, 07:34 AM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonereal View Post
so do we

Hey! I represent that.

My kids especially hated it because they knew I was right.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 11-07-2009, 07:48 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
Hey! I represent that.

My kids especially hated it because they knew I was right.

Regards,

D-Ray
well it's differant here
Old 11-07-2009, 08:01 AM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Speaking as someone who considers himself to be a conservative I would argue that there are no conservatives in the GOP. I don't excatly know what it is that they are, probably all the worst things of libertarianism.

The expression that sums of conservatism to me is "Don't throw out the baby with the bath water." Of course back then the proper name of my party was The Pregressive Conservative Party of Canada. Basically you don't fix what is not broken and you remain open minded.
Yeah, the "conservatives" in the GOP forget about libertarianism when it comes to one's private life.

Your definition of conservatism describes the current President pretty well. It fits in with the the perspective given by one of the newer members (can't remember names to save my life), that our left would be considered center-right in most of the western world. As much as the GOP wants to paint Obama as a leftist, he is committed to the politics of the possible.

Regards,

D-Ray