Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > The Unemployment Line

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-21-2017, 02:37 PM
Admin

The Case For Government Employee's Unions

"House Republicans greeted current and future federal employees with two controversial body blows in recent days — one amounts to a pay cut and the other would allow new feds to be fired for “no cause at all.”
The House Budget Committee approved a spending plan that would save the government $163.5 billion over 10 years by taking that amount from federal employees. They would pay that in the form of “greater contributions to their own defined benefit retirement plans,” according to the panel’s budget document.
Republicans call their plan “Building a Better America.”**** But the Americans now working to build a better country through their federal jobs would be called on to sacrifice again, as they have repeatedly over the years.
“Since 2010, these employees have already lost $182 billion in pay and benefits,” Tony Reardon, president of the National Treasury Employees Union, said in a letter to the committee. Those losses occurred through measures including a partial three-year pay freeze and previous retirement hits under the Obama administration.
Rep. Anthony G. Brown (D-Md.) offered legislation****on Monday to repeal the previous retirement cuts. Don’t expect his bill to pass, not with this Congress.
Future federal employees could lose their jobs much more easily under legislation introduced by Rep. Todd Rokita (R-Ind.). He wants all new feds to be considered at-will employees, meaning they “may be removed/suspended without notice or right to appeal for good cause, bad cause, or no cause at all,” according to a summary of the legislation.
This represents no understanding that civil service protections are designed to protect not just staffers, but also the public from a government bureaucracy riven with political favoritism, as was the case under the spoils system. Even members of Congress eager to fire feds faster must know that this drastic proposal runs afoul of a basic and long-standing principle that says government staffers should be protected from willy-nilly punishment by political operatives." WaPo

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.a13304e3a1b3
Old 07-21-2017, 05:07 PM
Ready

Conservatives are supposed to know that 'traditions are solutions to problems we've forgotten about." Applies big time to civil service laws. Of course, I shouldn't confuse the GOP with conservatives.
Old 07-21-2017, 06:19 PM

Republicans, turning anything they touch into a shit sandwich.
Old 07-21-2017, 08:28 PM
Rational Anarchist

The civil service needs a good shakeup and getting rid of poor performers is a good idea. GAO has been doing that to a degree since the mid 80's. Don't know impact the union has had. It was voted in in 2008, same year I left.

Anyone else notice that Obama took away more $$$ than Trump will?

Last edited by nailer; 07-22-2017 at 08:06 AM.
Old 09-11-2017, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
Conservatives are supposed to know that 'traditions are solutions to problems we've forgotten about." Applies big time to civil service laws. Of course, I shouldn't confuse the GOP with conservatives.
The virtual guarantee of employment is not a tradition.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:10 AM
Ready

Because you are Czar of all the Definitions?

Certainly there are downsides to 'civil service protections.' But history shows the rampant corruption resulting from it's lack is worse.