Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-08-2016, 08:43 AM

If only----, interesting quote, thnx for that. And, about the KKK?
A mistake, like D.W. Griffith's glorification of it with Birth of a Nation?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Last edited by Pio1980; 03-08-2016 at 08:51 AM.
Old 03-08-2016, 08:56 AM
Rational Anarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
"I will say to you and to the colored race that men who bore arms and followed the flag of the Confederacy are, with very few exceptions, your friends. I have an opportunity of saying what I have always felt – that I am your friend, for my interests are your interests, and your interests are my interests. We were born on the same soil, breathe the same air, and live in the same land. Why, then, can we not live as brothers? I will say that when the war broke out I felt it my duty to stand by my people. When the time came I did the best I could, and I don't believe I flickered. I came here with the jeers of some white people, who think that I am doing wrong. I believe that I can exert some influence, and do much to assist the people in strengthening fraternal relations, and shall do all in my power to bring about peace. It has always been my motto to elevate every man- to depress none. (Applause.) I want to elevate you to take positions in law offices, in stores, on farms, and wherever you are capable of going."

Nathan Bedford Forrest: July, 1875.
He was lying.
Old 03-08-2016, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
"I will say to you and to the colored race that men who bore arms and followed the flag of the Confederacy are, with very few exceptions, your friends. I have an opportunity of saying what I have always felt – that I am your friend, for my interests are your interests, and your interests are my interests. We were born on the same soil, breathe the same air, and live in the same land. Why, then, can we not live as brothers? I will say that when the war broke out I felt it my duty to stand by my people. When the time came I did the best I could, and I don't believe I flickered. I came here with the jeers of some white people, who think that I am doing wrong. I believe that I can exert some influence, and do much to assist the people in strengthening fraternal relations, and shall do all in my power to bring about peace. It has always been my motto to elevate every man- to depress none. (Applause.) I want to elevate you to take positions in law offices, in stores, on farms, and wherever you are capable of going."

Nathan Bedford Forrest: July, 1875.
Words. Pffft!

Things which speak louder than them.

Forrest was a very prosperous slave trader before the Civil War and the first Grand Wizard of the Klan afterward. During the War, he was responsible for the Fort Pillow Massacre where his troops killed over 300 black Union Army prisoners, their officers and a number of Southern Union sympathizers.
Old 03-08-2016, 09:18 AM
Rational Anarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
Words. Pffft!

Things which speak louder than them.

Forrest was a very prosperous slave trader before the Civil War and the first Grand Wizard of the Klan afterward. During the War, he was responsible for the Fort Pillow Massacre where his troops killed over 300 black Union Army prisoners, their officers and a number of Southern Union sympathizers.
Forrest was a white supremacist. Thinking of him as the Klan's first Grand Wizard is Lost Cause mythology if one thinks of the Reconstruction "Klan" as a single entity with a head.

Last edited by nailer; 03-08-2016 at 09:21 AM.
Old 03-08-2016, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailer View Post
Forrest was a white supremacist. Thinking of him as the Klan's first Grand Wizard is Lost Cause mythology.
How so? The Lost Cause myth was/is a self aggrandizing effort to rewrite history as a somewhat more "noble" fiction, originating afaik with Jubal Early. NBF was the first GW of the KKK.

Old 03-08-2016, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Forrest was a white supremacist. Thinking of him as the Klan's first Grand Wizard is Lost Cause mythology if one thinks of the Reconstruction "Klan" as a single entity with a head.
Your comments make little if any sense.

The "Lost Cause mythology" was one of the things the KKK used and, in some measure, concocted to justify its own existence.

And when first formed, the Klan was a single entity with a head, namely Forrest.
Old 03-08-2016, 10:01 AM
Rational Anarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pio1980 View Post
How so? The Lost Cause myth was/is a self aggrandizing effort to rewrite history as a somewhat more "noble" fiction, originating afaik with Jubal Early. NBF was the first GW of the KKK.

After Lee's death, Jubal Early was one of the group of Virginians who created the Mars Lee myth which is a pillar of the Lost Cause myth. The KKK's role in Reconstruction is another pillar of the myth. White Terror played a role in reasserting White Supremacy in the South. It was not as large, or as widespread, as the Lost Cause would have us believe. The leadership of the White Terror movement was local. The Lost Cause myth exaggerates Forrest's role and impact within the White Terror movement.
Old 03-08-2016, 10:13 AM
Rational Anarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
Your comments make little if any sense.

The "Lost Cause mythology" was one of the things the KKK used and, in some measure, concocted to justify its own existence.

And when first formed, the Klan was a single entity with a head, namely Forrest.
At the time of Reconstruction there was no Lost Cause myth.

When first formed Forrest wasn't a member. One of the points made in White Terror: The Ku Klux Klan Conspiracy and Southern Reconstruction was that the Ku Klux Klan wasn't a single entity.
Old 03-08-2016, 10:14 AM

Part of my understanding of the times was that the Klan was the common man's manifestation of local governance by terror. Subliminally, the Masonic order was the real government of the region, without Federal oversight. The regular political system was for show.

Old 03-08-2016, 10:26 AM

Quote:
At the time of Reconstruction there was no Lost Cause myth.
No, there wasn't. It grew later, being nurtured in part by Klansmen in positions to influence popular perceptions.

Quote:
When first formed Forrest wasn't a member. One of the points made in White Terror: The Ku Klux Klan Conspiracy and Southern Reconstruction was that the Ku Klux Klan wasn't a single entity.
Forrest was the first person to be named Grand Wizard. Whether that occurred at the creation of the Klan or later is immaterial.

Your arguments are just the picking of imaginary nits which change nothing relative to Forrest, his actions or his beliefs.