in keeping this site going.

Old 03-26-2014, 11:56 PM

And another thing. Until November 2013 I had no idea I had wrinkles! Shit
Old 03-27-2014, 12:49 AM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly View Post
That's about when I noticed my hair was silver. Then Romney was defeated and the color started coming back...
Old 03-27-2014, 06:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
Some of us just don't, while others, like me, need no period of adjustment. I did find that the transition in the lenses is a bit annoying, though, when looking at a computer screen. I now use readers for the computer or for print and another pair of glasses for everything else.

John
I'm the former. I've been wearing progressives for probably 5 years now, and, particularly when I'm out of doors with long views everywhere, I feel like my head is in a fishbowl. At first readers worked fine, but then my long vision started to go fuzzy and I went back and forth between 2.50's for reading and 1.0's for just walking around...the switching was just too much of a pain in the ass especially out wandering around in the world. And I'm too vain to have two pairs of glasses hanging around my neck...so it's the progressives. Besides...driving is impossible without the bi's/progressives...either the world is fuzzy or the dashboard is fuzzy.

I have this young, and very cute btw, doc at the eye clinic and vision center who does my checkups and writes the prescriptions. I remember my first exam when I got my first presc., for the progressives. I mentioned that even just 8-10 years prior I was still 20/15 in both eyes. I'll never forget her reaction..."Oh, you're one of those. Good luck with the adjusting." And she was right.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:00 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Many many thanks for the comments. I'm starting to get used to them although I did put my old ones back on for a couple hours yesterday.

On glasses, I almost forgot to use up my FSA so bought these and a pair of sports sunglasses, the kind that kinda wraparound and have rubber cups/gaskets around the eyes, and unbelievable tint or treatment or something on the lenses. They are AMAZING. I wore them in the snow and even overcast it was much clearer than untinted lenses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly View Post
LMAO!!

Pete
Old 03-27-2014, 12:58 PM

I had bifocals last time and just got the progressives a few months ago. Biggest problem is trying to watch TV laying down. Sometimes I just put 'em on upside down so I can look thru the top part of the lens.
I've always had the photogray lenses so I didn't have to deal with sunglasses, but this last visit I brought in a big old 1980's pair of aviator frames and had polarized gray prescription lenses installed. There's nothing like polarized for seeing the salmon in the water. Can't wait for the silver run this fall!

Last edited by Wasillaguy; 03-27-2014 at 01:00 PM.
Old 03-27-2014, 01:58 PM
Loyal Opposition

A big plus 1 on the polarized lenses.

I am just reaching the point where my medium distance vision needs help. I got some 1.0 to watch TV. I've been using readers for years. My distance vision is still OK. I like to use half-lens glasses. I let them ride a bit low on the nose in the car, so that I can look over the top for driving. They are also good in a meeting. Look over the top to see people's expressions, but I can look down to read exhibits and such.

As far as aging sneaking up on you - When I cut my ponytail off, I also cut off most of the dark hair. What was left was more grey than brown.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 03-27-2014, 02:29 PM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
I got progressives the last time, they sit in a drawer and I use separate pairs of $18 drugstore glasses. People do not realise that when they say they have to grind your lenses that is merely to make them fit the frames. Lenses come in standard diopters.
I got my reading glasses at Wally World for six bucks.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:06 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

An update: A LOT of it was the frame adjustment. I went back in, they spent an hour or so fussing with them, and while my brain is still learning how to autocorrect they are much better.

Pete
Old 04-11-2014, 12:16 PM

I have been wearing progressives for the last 20+ years. Needed quite a bit of getting used to. One negative impact was that I got a pinched nerve in my neck from the awkward head angle I needed for all day (and night) viewing of computer monitors. I then got specific reading glasses and they has worked well for me. I do need to hold the book or keep the monitor a set distance away for best eye resolution.
Old 04-11-2014, 01:48 PM

I finally realized my sight was failing when reading equations and the equal sign looked like a minus sign. Started with 1.25s and after 4 years switched to 1.5s. It is a pain in the ass, but I have respect for those that had poor sight from an early age.