Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-03-2014, 04:08 PM

Letterman to retire

Letterman was a TV God when I was in college in the early '80's. Lacked Carson's class, but more than made up with that with his own brand of irreverent humor and antics. I always appreciated his shtick. While I admit that I've not watch much in recent years - kids and work preclude much late night TV watching - it'll be bittersweet when Dave hangs it up.

http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/davi...15-1201152380/
Old 04-03-2014, 04:17 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

He (and Leno) stopped being funny or relevant years ago. It'll be interesting to see who replaces him.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:17 PM
Banned

I don't know who was responsible for booking the musical acts, but whoever did it was the best on late night TV. Two of the more recent performances that I thought were just great were the Alabama Shakes and Seasick Steve. Who but Letterman would book Seasick Steve?

I don't know about relevance. I'm not sure I understand what would make a late night talk show host particularly relevant or irrelevant. Relevant compared with whom?

Last edited by Ike Bana; 04-03-2014 at 04:22 PM.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:18 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
Letterman was a TV God when I was in college in the early '80's. Lacked Carson's class, but more than made up with that with his own brand of irreverent humor and antics. I always appreciated his shtick. While I admit that I've not watch much in recent years - kids and work preclude much late night TV watching - it'll be bittersweet when Dave hangs it up.

http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/davi...15-1201152380/
See, I told you that common ground is possible.

Back in the day, I worked nights in a pipeline dispatch center, with a TV in the room. Letterman came on after Carson in those days. I couldn't wait for the Tonight show to be over so Letterman could get on.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 04-03-2014, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
He (and Leno) stopped being funny or relevant years ago. It'll be interesting to see who replaces him.
I really think the days of a late night "anchor" show on broadcast TV are over, as can be evidenced by the relatively poor showing over the last few years of the whole genre. I think the networks would be smart if they tried to do something different with the time slot, but the networks are often anything but creative.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
See, I told you that common ground is possible.

Back in the day, I worked nights in a pipeline dispatch center, with a TV in the room. Letterman came on after Carson in those days. I couldn't wait for the Tonight show to be over so Letterman could get on.

Regards,

D-Ray
So how did that work out: studying for law school, then the bar exam, while at work with Letterman on in the background.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:56 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
I really think the days of a late night "anchor" show on broadcast TV are over, as can be evidenced by the relatively poor showing over the last few years of the whole genre. I think the networks would be smart if they tried to do something different with the time slot, but the networks are often anything but creative.
The Colbert Report (in the same time slot) is so far superior to anything else at that time, though Fallon is doing a fine job in the format he's given to work with.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:16 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
So how did that work out: studying for law school, then the bar exam, while at work with Letterman on in the background.
Actually, I did find time to prepare for the LSAT. There wasn't much to stop the gas from flowing from 7p to 7a (except mild temperatures). I left the pipeline behind for law school. The only things to distract me in preparing for the bar exam were a newborn with jaundice and a move to a new city.

I think there will always be some form of talk show. Stewart and Colbert aren't that far removed from the talk show format. There is a monologue, some sketch comedy, an interview, and an occasional musical guest. Indeed, it seems like talk shows have proliferated. But it is true; it is unlikely that there will ever be any television show as familiar to the general population as the Tonight Show was.

But the same thing can be said for Baseball's Game of the Week, Monday Night Football, The Ed Sullivan Show, and The CBS Evening News with Walter Cronkite. Maybe the most universally recognized video entertainment source now is Youtube.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 04-03-2014, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
The Colbert Report (in the same time slot) is so far superior to anything else at that time, though Fallon is doing a fine job in the format he's given to work with.
Yeah, Fallon's doing ok. He knows humor is always more effective when it's true-

"That’s right, the White House said that it surpassed its goal for people enrolled in Obamacare. It’s amazing what you can achieve when you make something mandatory and fine people if they don't do it.”
Old 04-03-2014, 06:23 PM
Area Man

Speaking of Letterman;

Here's a video of Springsteen doing a song about my old haunts "Youngstown" on Letterman.

"....them Big Boys did what Hitler couldn't do." The "...them.." being the government and incompetent and/or greedy steel executives.

What did they do that Hitler couldn't do?

They put Youngstown on it's knees.

Dave