Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-16-2014, 01:03 PM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondilion View Post
If you go through a red light - I am for big fines.
In the Maryland MVA driving rules if you are within 100 feet of an intersection and the light goes yellow you are not required to stop. At one time they actually painted the dashed lane dividers solid for 100 feet from the intersectio, now they no longer do that. Plus there is no defined time duration for the yellow light and some jurisdictions make it exstremely short.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:17 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Here they did a study and found that most folks who got red light camera tickets were definitely blowing the light.

Speeding cameras however... racket.

Pete
Old 04-16-2014, 01:27 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunter View Post
This is California. Don't even think about tossing something out of a window. We had red light cams here in San Diego, but the one good thing Filner did was remove the cameras. I have not had a ticket since 1991, but never liked the cameras. It seemed like people that were aware of them would actually speed up when approaching the intersection.
So, it's okay with you if people litter? Are you going to start a rebellion claiming your constitutional "Litterbug Rights"?

Littering on the road (Or anywhere, really.) here is $500. Seems expensive to me too........

Except, you don't see much litter around here.....

Dave
Old 04-16-2014, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Here they did a study and found that most folks who got red light camera tickets were definitely blowing the light.

Speeding cameras however... racket.

Pete
I've seen some of the pictures of friends. They're smiling away when the camera caught them. The triggering and length of yellow I know can be manipulated to get more or less positives. Also, the registered owner gets the ticket and then needs to jump some hoops to have the "criminal" ticket transferred to the driver. The old cams here had a strobe firing at night that temporarily blinded anyone in the intersection.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:31 PM
Area Man

I've gotten bit by the cameras three times; A rolling stop, running a red light (daydreaming behind the wheel), and speeding.

I deserved all three. In fact, I can only think of one ticket I've gotten in my entire life, (and I've accrued a LOT of them), that I didn't deserve.

Dave
Old 04-16-2014, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
So, it's okay with you if people litter? Are you going to start a rebellion claiming your constitutional "Litterbug Rights"?

Littering on the road (Or anywhere, really.) here is $500. Seems expensive to me too........

Except, you don't see much litter around here.....

Dave
I was alluding to the high ticket prices here. I actually chase people and yell at them when I see them litter. One of these days, I'll get shot doing so. Here it's advertised at $1000.00. The cigarette throwers seem to all come from the Midwest.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
I've gotten bit by the cameras three times; A rolling stop, running a red light (daydreaming behind the wheel), and speeding.

I deserved all three. In fact, I can only think of one ticket I've gotten in my entire life, (and I've accrued a LOT of them), that I didn't deserve.

Dave
I would have lots of tickets, if I had that hotrod you drive. Of course, when I had my 1969 Charger in HS, I had several tickets.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:52 PM
Area Man

Quote:
I was alluding to the high ticket prices here. I actually chase people and yell at them when I see them litter. One of these days, I'll get shot doing so. Here it's advertised at $1000.00. The cigarette throwers seem to all come from the Midwest.
It was humor, Brent.

I got stopped for littering once. When I told the cop "It's an apple core. (Lie) What horrible thing is going to happen? A squirrel gets a free meal? An apple tree grows?" The cop curtly replied, "Wait here!".

I thought to myself, "Smooth move, dumbass, there goes another $500.".

She came back with an apple core in her hand and said, "You got lucky, today. You're free to go."

I kept quiet, for once, and drove off.

Dave
Old 04-16-2014, 01:55 PM

Quote:
A lot of people don't. People love the cams because they think they will increase safety; however, the real use is to generate revenue. Like Finn mentioned, a partnership with the cam maker with whom they share the windfall. It's an easy sell to cash strapped municipalities. Oh, and then, every damn agency has their hands in the pie. Here's another area where I'd like to have numbers and statistics to measure the efficacy of the cameras.
We got rid of our traffic cams in Murrieta. I was in a far right lane on a freeway on-ramp during heavy traffic. I have to review the the camera film. I was not blowing through a 4-lane intersection. I wonder if people in the oncoming lane (i.e. on the opposite side) can even make a left turn onto that ramp.

One thing I wonder about is the socio-economic make up of populations where these cams are located. I can afford this ticket but I would be lying if I said it will not cause some pain. What do poor people do? Community service?

One thing most people do not realize is that (in California at least) these cams are done (i.e approved) by mayors and city councils. You can ditch the cams if enough people start giving the local government a hard enough time.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:58 PM
Area Man

Actually, I've only had one ticket in that car. The rolling stop mentioned above.

I was stopped for 72 in a 55 once, but the cop started looking at the car and struck up a conversation, asking me how fast it goes, how much HP it has, etc., etc.

When he was done, he said; "Alright. Beautiful car. Now, let's see if the wife will let me spring for one....... Have a nice day and drive safe, Sir."

At first I was pissed, but then realized he was letting me go, so.........Just smile, nod and drive away.

Dave