Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-16-2014, 02:02 PM

I think what frequently happens is that a lobbyist or agent of either American Traffic Solutions or Redflex will insert a local citizen into the city council's view and then suggest the wonderful safety AND financial benefits a contract will produce. In Murrieta they figured out who had brought the idea to the City Council. They were in place for 6 years.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
I got one of those traffic cam tickets from Riverside curtesy of Redflex.
I received the images but not the actual courtesy notice from the Riverside courthouse with the fine.

I did not know I did it. From what it appears I did a California roll onto the 91 Westbound freeway coming off of Tyler in downtown Riverside.

It will be about $500 bucks I imagine plus the usual traffic school.

Should I go to the court and fight it? If the guy who reviewed the camera footage does not show up will that help me?
500 bucks and school for a rolling stop? WTF?

Wall street wizards can rip off trillion from the people of this country without so much as a slap on the wrist but a 500 dollar fine for a rolling stop?

How about a lawsuit for unequal application of the law.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
I got one of those traffic cam tickets from Riverside curtesy of Redflex.
I received the images but not the actual courtesy notice from the Riverside courthouse with the fine.

I did not know I did it. From what it appears I did a California roll onto the 91 Westbound freeway coming off of Tyler in downtown Riverside.

It will be about $500 bucks I imagine plus the usual traffic school.

Should I go to the court and fight it? If the guy who reviewed the camera footage does not show up will that help me?
Outside of at the suchi bar, I'm not sure what a California roll is. I know that it's pretty difficult to beat any cam tickets in court. The only people I know of who have beaten any are for red light violations. Illinois law states that the yellow must be at least 3 seconds, similar in most states. If you get a red light ticket you can go time the yellow (best to run a smartphone video) and if it's less than 3 seconds, the judge will dismiss the ticket. These are the only cases I've ever heard of where it was dismissed in court.

But I'm guessing this is some other kind of violation.

I don't think there's any in hell way to beat a speeding, or some sort of improper lane usage camera violation.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Bana View Post
Outside of at the suchi bar, I'm not sure what a California roll is. I know that it's pretty difficult to beat any cam tickets in court. The only people I know of who have beaten any are for red light violations. Illinois law states that the yellow must be at least 3 seconds, similar in most states. If you get a red light ticket you can go time the yellow (best to run a smartphone video) and if it's less than 3 seconds, the judge will dismiss the ticket. These are the only cases I've ever heard of where it was dismissed in court.

But I'm guessing this is some other kind of violation.

I don't think there's any in hell way to beat a speeding, or some sort of improper lane usage camera violation.
I assume he's referring to the California "rolling stop" where you don't actually come to a complete stop. As I remember it works very well, and saves a buttload of energy and pollution. There was a time when a cop would never cite you for it.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:49 PM
AKA Sister Mary JJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
I've gotten bit by the cameras three times; A rolling stop, running a red light (daydreaming behind the wheel), and speeding.

I deserved all three. In fact, I can only think of one ticket I've gotten in my entire life, (and I've accrued a LOT of them), that I didn't deserve.

Dave
You're a man after my own heart. In North Carolina, back when I was in High School, driving a '66 Mustang GT, if you accumulated 12 points you lost your license for a year. I managed to keep my points balance somewhere around 9/11 points for 4 years.

(I've learned since then.)
Old 04-16-2014, 06:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
We got rid of our traffic cams in Murrieta. I was in a far right lane on a freeway on-ramp during heavy traffic. I have to review the the camera film. I was not blowing through a 4-lane intersection. I wonder if people in the oncoming lane (i.e. on the opposite side) can even make a left turn onto that ramp.

One thing I wonder about is the socio-economic make up of populations where these cams are located. I can afford this ticket but I would be lying if I said it will not cause some pain. What do poor people do? Community service?

One thing most people do not realize is that (in California at least) these cams are done (i.e approved) by mayors and city councils. You can ditch the cams if enough people start giving the local government a hard enough time.
I thought you liked the jackboot police state atmosphere. Oh and what good is a punishment if you don't feel any pain form it.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:59 PM
Admin

No feeding the trolls.

Last edited by bobabode; 04-16-2014 at 07:02 PM.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:22 PM

Last year I got a surprise in the mail. It was a camera ticket. It gave picts of the car, tag, and a website to go watch the whole event in rolling action when and where it happened. Wasn't me, car is in my name but it's not mine and I didn't buy the car nore drive it. It's one of my daughters cars that she bought herself but being under 18 had to put them in my name. Ticket was 50.00, and she handed me 50.00 to pay it with. Here, if you don't contest a camera ticket it does not go on your record. If you try to take it to court because YOU were the the car owner but not the one driving it WILL go on your record after they make you pay it anyway. Here, folks just pay it as you aren't going to win. Plus if you argue about it you get stuck with court cost on top of the ticket. Best to just stick a money order in the mail and be done with it, here. Nowhere to pay it local.. our camera tickets are collected hours away in Knoxville and have to be mailed there rather than the county it happened in.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
No feeding the trolls.

hmm Bob seems like somebody got a Ouija board out and his calling Breitbart....
Old 04-16-2014, 09:04 PM

In these parts you fight a ticket the fine goes up. They add court costs and such. Cheaper to do the school and pay the fine most say. Knock on wood I haven't received a ticket in over twenty some odd years.

But live in the backwaters I guess, cameras at intersections???? Next they will be putting cameras in police cars!

O course I jest, the big stink in the Derby is the cameras in patrol cars storing licenses plates from their shift in a data base for future use in solving crimes. Talk about big brother......

Barney