Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-18-2014, 02:04 PM
Loyal Opposition

Magnavox - Jump in?

I stopped by the Habitat Store today. They have a Magnavox console for $45. I have been thinking about getting into tubes, but have nearly no technical know-how for dealing with them. I am not afraid of a soldering iron and sandpaper, but I wonder if this is a good introduction to tubes. The $45 is not nearly as big a deal as running out of space for anything - and having a ton of other things to fix.

Any advice?

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 04-18-2014, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
I stopped by the Habitat Store today. They have a Magnavox console for $45. I have been thinking about getting into tubes, but have nearly no technical know-how for dealing with them. I am not afraid of a soldering iron and sandpaper, but I wonder if this is a good introduction to tubes. The $45 is not nearly as big a deal as running out of space for anything - and having a ton of other things to fix.

Any advice?

Regards,

D-Ray
if it is tube and a 6V6 Bob and myself can help you. That is the 175 amp.

But Bob really knows these amps. He helped me with mine.

they sound really nice with the right speakers.

Plus that guy with the cowgirl on his roof is right down the road (I am assuming lol) from you.

$45 bucks is well worth the sound in my opinion. These things sound really nice. As a matter of fact my Jolida is gathering dust.
I think much of the tube myth has to do with the high prices...or vice versa. This way you spend a little and get some nice sound with glowing firebottles.

Last edited by icenine; 04-18-2014 at 02:26 PM.
Old 04-18-2014, 02:27 PM
Admin

Quote:

Any advice?

Regards,

D-Ray
Did you see tubes in the back? If it says Astrosonic on the tuner faceplate? It's soiled state.
Old 04-18-2014, 02:28 PM

Sometimes when I have a ton of audio stuff to fix I just throw the broken item away. Less stress that way. The Maggie however is worth the trouble.
Old 04-18-2014, 02:40 PM
Admin

These Maggie console amps as standalones are really good, the speakers used in them aren't really much good. The 185/175 and the 93XX series will run run somewhat inefficient speakers in the 87d range pretty dang good, up in the 90d+ range they will go fairly loud.
Be happy to help with you with it Don. If you get it, toss the cabinet, speaks, turntable and tuner in Bartertown Pay it Forward.
Old 04-18-2014, 02:54 PM

Actually just yank out the amp and let the thrift throw away the console if you can.

Mine went in the garbage after sitting my garage for six months.

the amp will be connected by some easy to remove bolts. Just cut off all the speaker/preamp wires ....just leave some slack.

the console does make a good soldering desk lol

I mean pay it forward is a good idea.........but you can hurt your back moving that big wooden box.

Last edited by icenine; 04-18-2014 at 02:56 PM.
Old 04-18-2014, 03:19 PM
Loyal Opposition

They said I could pull the innards there. I'd better take a flashlight to make sure there are tubes before I buy it and pull the back off.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 04-18-2014, 03:26 PM
Admin

Quote:
They said I could pull the innards there. I'd better take a flashlight to make sure there are tubes before I buy it and pull the back off.

Regards,

D-Ray
I would drop what you're doing and go grab it, Don. The tuner will have a couple of tubes tucked up in it, don't miss those.
Old 04-18-2014, 03:48 PM

Yeah....there might be another person wasting their time looking for 50 year old Maggie Amps.

maybe a lurker is in their car now on the way
Old 04-18-2014, 04:11 PM
Loyal Opposition

False alarm - solid state.

But I did find a really good task chair to replace the one I have at my work bench.

Regards,

D-Ray