Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-18-2014, 11:18 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
I always here the tube pre and the solid state amp are supposedly great sounding.....but are you saying the reverse is true> tube amp with ss pre?
Yes, that's my story and I'm stickin' to it . Just repeating what I've heard over in the tube forum from some smart fellers over the years. LIke I said I may be all wet.

What tube pre are you using?
Old 04-19-2014, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
Yes, that's my story and I'm stickin' to it . Just repeating what I've heard over in the tube forum from some smart fellers over the years. LIke I said I may be all wet.

What tube pre are you using?
that Chinese Music Angel pre amp with the 6v6

with the 197 6BQ5 I use a solid state Onkyo pre
Old 04-19-2014, 09:41 AM
reflexionar

I have an AMP81 and a 9304. Both are in queue for restoration after I am done with my Craftsmen 500's. Stolen pics, but identical amps.

Old 04-19-2014, 10:41 AM

The Amp81 is the Concert Grand ? I mean it has really two amps..one for the low and high ends? I see three output trannies...
Old 04-19-2014, 10:57 AM
reflexionar

Quote:
The Amp81 is the Concert Grand ? I mean it has really two amps..one for the low and high ends? I see three output trannies...
The Concert Grand has two mono amps. Push-pull parallel for the low end and SE for the highs. This amp is actually from the next step down Imperial, which is stereo P-P low and SE high on the same chassis and it has 4 output transformers. I think Bob has Concert Grand amps.
Old 04-19-2014, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpholland View Post
The Concert Grand has two mono amps. Push-pull parallel for the low end and SE for the highs. This amp is actually from the next step down Imperial, which is stereo P-P low and SE high on the same chassis and it has 4 output transformers. I think Bob has Concert Grand amps.
OK.......... I see. You are not going to need a sub-woofer with that one!
I have a Motorola 6BM8 three channel. The 6BM8s on the high end in stereo and a 6BQ5 on the mono low end. It does not sound as nice as the Maggies but the low end hooked up to a passive Bose sub from an Accoustimass system provides a really strong low end I cannot replicate with the other tube amps I have.

Last edited by icenine; 04-19-2014 at 06:35 PM.
Old 04-19-2014, 11:38 AM
reflexionar

I think the 9304 has a better low end, but asn't biamped. The 6V6 doesn't actually shine on the lows, but it does OK. The x-over point is somewhere around 1000-1200hz. I would actually like to rebuild the AMP81 to use a 6L6 variant, something like a 5881, and see if it improves the sound at all.
Old 04-19-2014, 05:50 PM
Admin

Hiya Marc, IIRC the CG's used a pair of amp148. My 150s are out of two top of the line mono consoles from '57, right before Magnavox went to the stereo CG in '58.
Old 04-19-2014, 05:52 PM
Admin

Quote:
The little OT off to the right is really a choke in the power supply.
Old 04-19-2014, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpholland View Post
I think the 9304 has a better low end, but asn't biamped. The 6V6 doesn't actually shine on the lows, but it does OK. The x-over point is somewhere around 1000-1200hz. I would actually like to rebuild the AMP81 to use a 6L6 variant, something like a 5881, and see if it improves the sound at all.
Why is the 6L6 such a big deal? They are expensive I know and are they the same as those big KT88s?

I think the Mcintosh tube amps used them right?