Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-15-2014, 03:04 PM

There is no organized left in the US. There are two parties. One is far right and one is Centre right. The US does not exist in of and by itself. And in the world where it exists as a continuously less important piece, it is beginning to look frighteningly right wing. More importantly, it is missing the boat on the way the world is going. And in a newly weak America can't afford that anymore. It is becoming the angry village idiot of the world community.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
Old 06-15-2014, 03:11 PM
Persona non grata

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigerik View Post
There is no organized left in the US. There are two parties. One is far right and one is Centre right. The US does not exist in of and by itself. And in the world where it exists as a continuously less important piece, it is beginning to look frighteningly right wing. More importantly, it is missing the boat on the way the world is going. And in a newly weak America can't afford that anymore. It is becoming the angry village idiot of the world community.

Finally, someone else who gets it!

Quoted for truth.

Last edited by Tom Joad; 06-15-2014 at 03:13 PM.
Old 06-15-2014, 04:12 PM
Area Man

Quote:

I've long had the feeling that eventually, globalization would burst the silly bubble we Americans have been living in. The notion that we are the best at everything, better than everyone else in every way, more righteous in our adventures abroad, the notion that we have some sort of "God given" right to run the world........

It's always been false. Supported by unique conditions that existed because of devastation wrought in Europe and Asia after the world wars and the ridiculous assumption that victory was Gods endorsement of our "exceptionalism" and superiority. A gigantic crock. The Grand Illusion, if you will.

I also find false and delusional the belief that America started out pure and utopian and has been backsliding ever since. In fact, if anything the reverse would be closer to reality. We started as a nation wherein human beings were bought and sold as commodities for decades after such trade had been outlawed in other nations. Huge numbers of indigenous peoples were forcibly relocated and detained on "reservations". Democracy was limited to wealthy, white, male property owners and all else were politically disenfranchised, at the mercy of these men.

We have NOT been trekking towards tyranny, were have been struggling against it for the last 240 years.

But, in the name of "freedom", some wish to turn back the hands of time?

Why, is beyond me. Perhaps it is just my perspective, based on experiences within the span of my life. But, it seems America was a slightly better place forty years ago, before the Conservative revolution started "fixing" it? We had problems, but the answer wasn't just to sit back and cheer as the boundlessly greedy abandoned our cities and eventually the nation itself, while politicians and media propagandists make the average American feel guilty for expecting a decent days pay for a days work.

Enjoy the rest of your Sunday. I'll be at work, enjoying my "freedom" to do as I'm told.

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 06-15-2014 at 04:14 PM.
Old 06-15-2014, 04:24 PM
Admin

Quote:

Sadly, I have to agree with that sentiment. We used to send our kids to Third World nations to teach people and to dig wells via the Peace Corps, now we send effin' drones and the Marine's at the drop of a hat. It's tragic and pitiful how we have squandered the enormous good will we built during and more importantly after WWII. Not to mention the precious treasure wasted on the Military Industrial Complex while fucking up everything we've touched overseas.
Old 06-15-2014, 04:35 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
Sadly, I have to agree with that sentiment. We used to send our kids to Third World nations to teach people and to dig wells via the Peace Corps, now we send effin' drones and the Marine's at the drop of a hat. It's tragic and pitiful how we have squandered the enormous good will we built during and more importantly after WWII. Not to mention the precious treasure wasted on the Military Industrial Complex while fucking up everything we've touched overseas.
Well, stated, Bob.
Old 06-15-2014, 04:41 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Well, stated, Bob.
Thanks Dave, you too. You swabbies have also done a lot. Those Navy mercy/hospital ships are famous in the Third World for the good work they've done.
Old 06-15-2014, 04:42 PM
reflexionar

Quote:
And all the neglect that has caused here at home. The Midas touch is now turning everything from gold to lead.
Old 06-15-2014, 04:45 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpholland View Post
And all the neglect that has caused here at home. The Midas touch is now turning everything from gold to lead.
Reminds me of an old Hollies tune. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_N3HrYOGpNQ
Old 06-15-2014, 04:47 PM
reflexionar

Quote:
Reminds me of an old Hollies tune. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_N3HrYOGpNQ
Indeed

He's not the man to hold your trust,
Everything he touches turns to dust in his hands.
Nothing he can do is right, he'd even like to sleep at night, but he can't.
Old 06-15-2014, 05:20 PM

The extremism has been fueled by Congress gerrymandering the majority of districts to ensure that the majority of populous districs are either extremely conservative or liberal.

There are exceedingly few districts which are 50/50 or even 48/52 these days. This redistricting has created a reelection machine, which is a nightmare for national legislation.