Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-20-2017, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HypnoToad View Post
The ACA has made some things better and some things worse, but the system overall is getting worse by the year, and what can be done to fix it?

Greedy healthcare providers, insurers and pharmaceutical companies don't care about people only the bottom line.
I just got back from the Philippines.
You have the money or you die there.

So my views about how bad our system is tempered by how some systems are horrible.

We are hardly the best but by no means the worst either.

Isn't there a a separate aussie tax for health care coverage on top of the income tax?
Old 02-20-2017, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post

Isn't there a a separate aussie tax for health care coverage on top of the income tax?
"Medicare gives Australian residents access to health care. It is partly funded by taxpayers who pay a Medicare levy of 2% of their taxable income.

Your Medicare levy is reduced if your taxable income is below a certain threshold. In some cases you may not have to pay the levy at all."

https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Medicare-levy/

Also if you want to get five star service at hospitals etc you can buy private health insurance, so people have that option if they don't like the standard public one. The dearest policy in Australia costs up to $1,344.35 (per year) for hospital and ancillary services for a family, and that covers major dental costs up to $1,000.00 per year.

https://www.finder.com.au/press-rele...alth-insurance
Old 02-20-2017, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Totally anecdotal and subjective.
I explained it in another post and won't go through it again.

But, I had Obamacare last year and paid $23,000 in healthcare cost out of pocket.

Which is likely more than I paid for healthcare in the rest of my life combined.

More than 30% of my wife and I's total income.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:21 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:

So my views about how bad our system is tempered by how some systems are horrible.

If Oz is like Canada it was 0.8% on your taxable income, which by the way is less than here if you get a detailed pay stub.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:25 AM
Persona non grata

Quote:

Great, let's travel the world over and instead of looking at places that do it better like Western Europe and Canada and learn from them, let's instead find some third world shitholes where it's worse and pat ourselves on the back for being better than they are.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Joad View Post
Great, let's travel the world over and instead of looking at places that do it better like Western Europe and Canada and learn from them, let's instead find some third world shitholes where it's worse and pat ourselves on the back for being better than they are.
It is all the ACA's fault Tom?
You sound tortured.

I mean it seems like you sit at your keyboard all day fuming about things you can't really control. I mean I like single payer too, but I don't believe in the Easter Bunny delivering it any time soon. You can blame corporate Democrats, Hillary, Obama, me, whoever but at the end of the day many people who feel as you do about the establishment voted through out the America for Republicans who have absolutely no intention of ever passing a single-payer health plan. That is the fact.

I will tell you how to get single payer Tom.

1. You vote straight Democratic all down the ticket that way you get both Houses.
2. You vote for the Democratic Nominee, no matter who the hell it is. That is essential.
3. Then you tell you tell your Democratic congress person that if they pull a Leiberman or Joe Mansion you will primary them with someone who will pass Single Payer.

Multiply the above steps a gazillion times with all the people in America.

I mean that is how the GOP does things.

You don't support a person like Trump who is basically a Roy Cohn trained charlatan. The Big Lie is already getting old.

You think everyone like me is an elitist for some reason. Trust me until people across America start to vote the same way as the people in the so called "coastal elite" states vote there is not going to be single-payer.

I have found visiting so-called "shit hole' countries rewarding, fun and educational. You should try it sometime.

Last edited by icenine; 02-20-2017 at 10:04 AM.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:05 AM
Rational Anarchist

Quote:
You sound tortured.

I mean it seems like you sit at your keyboard all day fuming about things you can't really control. I mean I like single payer too, but I don't believe in the Easter Bunny delivering it any time soon. You can blame corporate Democrats, Hillary, Obama, me, whoever but at the end of the day many people who feel as you do about the establishment voted through out the America for Republicans who have absolutely no intention of ever passing a single-payer health plan. That is the fact.

1. You vote straight Democratic all down the ticket that way you get both Houses.
2. You vote for the Democratic Nominee, no matter who the hell it is. That is essential.
3. Then you tell you tell your Democratic congress person that if they pull a Leiberman or Joe Mansion you will primary them with someone who will pass Single Payer.

You don't support a person like Trump who is basically a Roy Cohn trained charlatan. The Big Lie is already getting old.

You think everyone like me is an elitist for some reason. Trust me until people across America start to vote the same way as the people in the so called "coastal elite" states vote there is not going to be single-payer.

I have found visiting so-called "shit hole' countries rewarding, fun and educational. You should try it sometime.
What on Earth does this have to do with the post you're replying too?
Old 02-20-2017, 10:25 AM
Persona non grata

Quote:
You sound tortured.

You are either a fool, or a tool.

I'm gonna go with "both".

Both the Democrats and the Republicans have completely sold out to the ruling class.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:09 AM

Single Payer and Gun Control are sort of the same side of a mythical coin that so far has not been minted in America, mainly because of deep cultural bias against both.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:28 AM

Oops I just remembered that was the Air Force.

My apologies to US Army vets everywhere.