Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Economy

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-24-2015, 01:08 PM
Persona non grata

How Privatization Rips Us All Off

This big push to privatize government functions started in the 1980's and has gone hand in hand with trickle down economics. I watched in unfold at the state level in Florida during m career at the DOT and it resulted in dramatic cost increases. I watched out budgets for "consultants" balloon out of control, but the Politicians didn't mind at all. In fact there were times when it looked like we would have consultant money left over at the end of the year and we would have meetings where our management would encouraged us to find ways to spend it all up. It was surreal.

Quote:
The Project on Government Oversight found that in 33 of 35 cases the federal government spent more on private contractors than on public employees for the same services. The authors of the report summarized, "Our findings were shocking."
continued
Old 03-24-2015, 02:05 PM

It's all about cronyism, TJ. It has always gone on in one form or another but now, after a decades long campaign to paint "big government" as the source of all out problems, we have a sizable portion of the population believing that privatization is the fiscally responsible and "businesslike" way to do things.

By the way, it ain't just us. The UK just privatized the Royal Mail and will probably get around to the National Health before long. Privatized detention facilities for asylum seekers in the UK are a huge scandal right now and the British government is blocking access to them by the press and human rights organizations.
Old 03-24-2015, 04:50 PM
Jigsawed

The banksters/investors clique love privatization; it is a gold mine for them.

They inhabit the IMF and they love when soci@list countries try to transition to
capitalist ones.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:40 PM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
The UK just privatized the Royal Mail and will probably get around to the National Health before long.
God I hope for their sake they don't privatize their NHS.

That would be a huge mistake.

They should readily be able to see that by looking at how costly our privatized Health Care system is.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Joad View Post
They should readily be able to see that by looking at how costly our privatized Health Care system is.
That doesn't matter. It's all about hiving off governmental agencies so that the oligarchs can turn a profit on them.

John
Old 03-25-2015, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
It's all about cronyism, TJ. It has always gone on in one form or another but now, after a decades long campaign to paint "big government" as the source of all out problems, we have a sizable portion of the population believing that privatization is the fiscally responsible and "businesslike" way to do things.

By the way, it ain't just us. The UK just privatized the Royal Mail and will probably get around to the National Health before long. Privatized detention facilities for asylum seekers in the UK are a huge scandal right now and the British government is blocking access to them by the press and human rights organizations.
Western Europe and the UK have never had an issue about the concept of Civil Service. For some reason it is a big negative here. Although I think the UK under Cameron has cut back significantly on government employment since the Great Recession.

I love being a government worker. I am almost done reading my science fiction novel.
Old 03-25-2015, 03:48 PM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
Western Europe and the UK have never had an issue about the concept of Civil Service. For some reason it is a big negative here. Although I think the UK under Cameron has cut back significantly on government employment since the Great Recession.

I love being a government worker. I am almost done reading my science fiction novel.
One thing that is crazy here is when an incoming POTUS gets to appoint civil servants way down into the ranks. In most countries everyone below cabinet rank is a civil servant. Oh and the head of government does not have to have his/her cabinet approved by the opposition, advise and consent imagine if corporations had to do that.