Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Religion & Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-11-2013, 01:28 PM
Resident octogenarian

An aside, have you ever noticed that in every depiction (paint, statuary, etc.) of Adam and Eve they both have navels? Why?

Oh and in keeping with this thread read Matthew 22:36-40
Old 05-11-2013, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
An aside, have you ever noticed that in every depiction (paint, statuary, etc.) of Adam and Eve they both have navels? Why?

Oh and in keeping with this thread read Matthew 22:36-40
a small aside myself

That is less shocking to me as all the incest that was going on as there was a ton of "begetting" but only one female mentioned for a very very long time.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:22 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Rob, he did it himself, he didn't tell us to do it.

Yes he said swords into plowshares and I believe in taking the entirety. He also said

21 “Brother will betray brother to death, and a father his child; and children will rise up against parents and cause them to be put to death. 22 “You will be hated by all because of My name, but it is the one who has endured to the end who will be saved.

34 “Don’t imagine that I came to bring peace to the earth! I came not to bring peace, but a sword.

...."

Again, the world is fallen.

Pete
Old 05-13-2013, 01:48 PM
Resident octogenarian

There is still no agreement one what he was saying at that moment. Some felt that He was predicting the futiure. Other scholars feel that he was simply telling his desciples what to expect as they set about spreading His word throughout Israel

A lot of problems with translations, frex in Corintians I Chapter 13 St. Paul used the Greek 'agape' yet the various Bibles translated that as 'charity' probably because they thought true charity is a special form of love (which is what agape means).

What needs to be remembered is that people interpret or define other people through the lens of their own personality - you might call it projection. Objectivity is a near impossible human achievment.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:55 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

I agree Rob.

But surely () some things are true and others are not. When he said, 'I am the way the truth and the life, no man shall come to the father except through me', that seems pretty clear.

Agreed though there's much to be discussed and understood. Or misunderstood. Every time wisdom is mentioned I dispair a little

Perhaps the plowshares comment is regarding the second coming? How could he believe that even when he predicted his own apostles and diciples being beaten and hated?

Pete
Old 05-13-2013, 02:34 PM

Matthew 5:9 “Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God.

Romans 14:17-19 For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking but of righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit. Whoever thus serves Christ is acceptable to God and approved by men. So then let us pursue what makes for peace and for mutual upbuilding.

2 Corinthians 13:11 Finally, brothers, rejoice. Aim for restoration, comfort one another,agree with one another, live in peace; and the God of love and peace will be with you.

Luke 6:27 “But I say to you who hear, Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you.

Romans 12:17 Repay no one evil for evil, but give thought to do what is honorable in the sight of all.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:39 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Rob, he did it himself, he didn't tell us to do it.

Yes he said swords into plowshares and I believe in taking the entirety. He also said

21 “Brother will betray brother to death, and a father his child; and children will rise up against parents and cause them to be put to death. 22 “You will be hated by all because of My name, but it is the one who has endured to the end who will be saved.

34 “Don’t imagine that I came to bring peace to the earth! I came not to bring peace, but a sword.

...."

Again, the world is fallen.

Pete
Christianity is so violent. No wonder the Musilims hate us.

Dave
Old 05-13-2013, 02:45 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
I agree Rob.

But surely () some things are true and others are not. When he said, 'I am the way the truth and the life, no man shall come to the father except through me', that seems pretty clear.

Oh, of course. Somethings are true and some are not. And depending on what you are determined to prove, you get to pick and choose which one are "true" and which are not. I've always thought that very convenient.

Perhaps the plowshares comment is regarding the second coming? How could he believe that even when he predicted his own apostles and diciples being beaten and hated?

Pete
Kind of the way Glenn Beck predicted he would be called a jackass and a lunatic? (Because he is a jackass and a lunatic.)
Old 05-13-2013, 02:56 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

LOL!

It depends on what your definition of is is

Pete
Old 05-13-2013, 03:07 PM
Resident octogenarian

Dr. Eben Alexander in "Proof of Heaven" defined God as "Unconditional Love" - works for me. In the book I just ordered "Love Power and Justice" Tillich says that Power without Love can never be Just.