Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Economy
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-24-2014, 06:10 AM

Michigan governor on Immigration

Guess no American citizens need jobs in Michigan.

""Michigan governor urges 50,000 visas for skilled Detroit immigrants"
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...A0M1P120140123

Barney
Old 01-24-2014, 07:33 AM
Jigsawed

An infusion of immigrants made livable some of the areas in the New York
City. Of course the authority should be willing to deport the criminal immigrant.

Last edited by Dondilion; 01-24-2014 at 03:54 PM.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:31 AM

IMO, this is a very good proposal. Visas have always been granted to highly skilled (read educated) professionals that are in short supply in this country. You need these people to create employment opportunities and for a city like Detroit, it will be very hard to attract talent from within the US. Silicon Valley is booming again and if one takes a snap shot of the major companies, they are loaded with talented legal immigrants. Of course, we have our share and more of the illegal kind.

The alternative is to outsource. The US has had a dearth of technical talent for a long time. If you take a look at the graduate school student body in any major US university (Science & Engineering), you will see that US born students are a minority.

So it's outsource or import talent legally. This is what the Michigan governor is proposing, not displacing US workers which is against the law.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:29 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamOn View Post
IMO, this is a very good proposal. Visas have always been granted to highly skilled (read educated) professionals that are in short supply in this country. You need these people to create employment opportunities and for a city like Detroit, it will be very hard to attract talent from within the US. Silicon Valley is booming again and if one takes a snap shot of the major companies, they are loaded with talented legal immigrants. Of course, we have our share and more of the illegal kind.

The alternative is to outsource. The US has had a dearth of technical talent for a long time. If you take a look at the graduate school student body in any major US university (Science & Engineering), you will see that US born students are a minority.

So it's outsource or import talent legally. This is what the Michigan governor is proposing, not displacing US workers which is against the law.
I really hate to disppoint anyone but there is no dearth of native born talent just a dearth of employers willing to pay decent wages. I came down here on an H1B simply because it was better for Florence and I to live here and not back in Canada ind the sour taste left by a bitter divorce. My employer was very unhappy when we married and I got a green card and eventually citizenship. The H1B is simply the modern version of the colonial bond servant as you are tied to one employer.

Last edited by merrylander; 01-24-2014 at 11:22 AM.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:34 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamOn View Post
If you take a look at the graduate school student body in any major US university (Science & Engineering), you will see that US born students are a minority.
I think this observation applies almost exclusively to the computer science field and not so much other engineering disciplines (civil, mechanical, aerospace, biomedical, etc.). All three of my kids are engineers (as am I), but we're civil and biomedical engineers. These fields are almost exclusively American born, at least at the universities my kids attended (Virginia Tech and Marquette).
Old 01-24-2014, 11:24 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
I think this observation applies almost exclusively to the computer science field and not so much other engineering disciplines (civil, mechanical, aerospace, biomedical, etc.). All three of my kids are engineers (as am I), but we're civil and biomedical engineers. These fields are almost exclusively American born, at least at the universities my kids attended (Virginia Tech and Marquette).
That is one thing that puzzled me down here, there are practically no women in computer science. Back at Bell over half our programming staff were women and they do seem better suited to it than men. Remember Admiral Grace Hopper.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:26 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
That is one thing that puzzled me down here, there are practically no women in computer science. Back at Bell over half our programming staff were women and they do seem better suited to it than men. Remember Admiral Grace Hopper.
In that vein, civil engineering students are easily 95% male, if not more. OTOH, biomedical engineering students are at least 50% female.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:55 AM

When ever I hear a company making the statement, to the effect of.

""We are having a tough time finding or filling qualified talented (local) applicants" I figure the sentence should also include " for the wage/benefits offered"

Most of the time when a company imports a worker they hold the visa. There by the employee is at the mercy of the employer. Be sent home at a moments notice.

Just hard for me to believe out of the 5K openings no local talent is available.

I have no problem with immigration mind you. I have Grandparents who were illegal immigrants. Immigration has, will always be good for this country. But I see when tied to a job abuses will follow.

Barney
Old 01-24-2014, 12:18 PM
Area Man

It is an interesting twist.

Consider this;

Perhaps what they seek to import isn't so much foreign talent, but foreign work ethic?

Dave
Old 01-24-2014, 12:29 PM
Admin

I wouldn't throw lifeline to Rick Snyder if he was drowning in a vat of shit and piss at the local sewage treatment plant.