Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
"But in January, United Healthcare sent me a letter announcing that they were pulling out of the individual California market. The company suggested I look to Covered California starting in October."

So a corporate decision is Obama's fault. Sounds like my wife's friend who said that her son's three person landscaping business failed because of Obamacare.

Regards,

D-Ray
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3537396.html

There's no question that provisions in health care reform that impact how carriers can price their product in the individual and small group markets have influenced carriers decisions to exit certain markets. So, yes, UHC's decision to exit the individual and small group market was traceable to health care reform.

Further, the individual in the article is finding it difficult to purchase an comparable health insurance plan on the exchange that will cover his choice of medical provider, since carriers have had to modify coverage and shrink provider networks of the plans sold on the exchange to meet the price points (60%, 70%, 80% and 90% of actuarial value) required under health care reform. So again, yes, the individual's difficulty in securing alternative appropriate coverage is traceable to health care reform.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
The greater good, Mike. If your party had done their damn job in congress through normal practices instead of voting 48 times to defund it and withholding additional funds to make it work right, we wouldn't be sitting here having to hear these very few cases where people are unhappy. Sorry but this is just more crocodile tears.
Oh horseshit, Bob. Congress's actions had nothing to do with the roll out of the exchanges in California, where this individual lives. CA applied for and received their grant from the Feds to help fund their set up of their exchange, and CA has proceeded on their own to get the thing set up, just like the other states that have opted out of the Federal exchange . In fact, you've been crowing on this forum any number of times about how well the exchanges in CA have been working...such as they are.

It took $400 MM to get them up and running, but its all for the greater good, I guess.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:16 AM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3537396.html

There's no question that provisions in health care reform that impact how carriers can price their product in the individual and small group markets have influenced carriers decisions to exit certain markets. So, yes, UHC's decision to exit the individual and small group market was traceable to health care reform.

Further, the individual in the article is finding it difficult to purchase an comparable health insurance plan on the exchange that will cover his choice of medical provider, since carriers have had to modify coverage and shrink provider networks of the plans sold on the exchange to meet the price points (60%, 70%, 80% and 90% of actuarial value) required under health care reform. So again, yes, the individual's difficulty in securing alternative appropriate coverage is traceable to health care reform.
So we absolve the corporation of all responsibility for its business decision. Not in my book.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 11-04-2013, 08:23 AM

Quote:
So we absolve the corporation of all responsibility for its business decision. Not in my book.

Regards,

D-Ray
Cool. So let's pass a law that an insurance company must stay in a particular market, even if they're unable to take in sufficient premium to cover claims in that market. Brilliant!
Old 11-04-2013, 08:45 AM
Loyal Opposition

Actually, I would rather pass a law that does not rely on commercial insurance companies to cover medical care. That being said, I just don't buy a corporation saying "the devil made me do it." It made a choice to remove itself from a particular market. No one banned the company from that market.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 11-04-2013, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Good idea. It was the wrong solution anyway, so throw it out and craft the right solution. One that doesn't involve disrupting the lives of individuals, their preference of how to cover their own health care needs, and their medical care.
The Tea Party and the GOP are incapable of passing their own plan, and would stop any Democratic proposal, even if the Democrats wanted to exactly copy what the GOP/Tea Party proposed. Where the hell have you been?

what is the GOP alternative? I mean they do not like this Hertiage foundation plan...
Old 11-04-2013, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Actually, I would rather pass a law that does not rely on commercial insurance companies to cover medical care. That being said, I just don't buy a corporation saying "the devil made me do it." It made a choice to remove itself from a particular market. No one banned the company from that market.

Regards,

D-Ray
And nothing compels them to remain in the market either, nor remain in a market where they would end up "upside-down" on claims. But I don't think they'd ever refer to the president as "the devil".

I'm actually with you on disconnecting insurance carriers from serving as the primary funding mechanism for health care, but I suspect we'd disagree past that point on what the alternatives look like.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
The Tea Party and the GOP are incapable of passing their own plan, and would stop any Democratic proposal, even if the Democrats wanted to exactly copy what the GOP/Tea Party proposed. Where the hell have you been?

what is the GOP alternative? I mean they do not like this Hertiage foundation plan...
I remember Democrats and unions pitching a bitch about High Deductible Health Plans and Health Savings accounts when they became available in 2003. In fact, I believe most unions won't even sit at a bargaining table to discuss an HDHP/HSA option. However, until we're willing to accept the premise that the consumer has to be part of the solution to control health care spending, there will be no sustainable alternative.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:23 AM

Quote:
I remember Democrats and unions pitching a bitch about High Deductible Health Plans and Health Savings accounts when they became available in 2003. In fact, I believe most unions won't even sit at a bargaining table to discuss an HDHP/HSA option. However, until we're willing to accept the premise that the consumer has to be part of the solution to control health care spending, there will be no sustainable alternative.
I do not get you...you are always worried about government deficit spending but when a plan is passed to make consumers more responsible for paying for their own health care you do not like it.

I work in the er. I see the guys come in from motorcycle crashes with crushed bones and no insurance. You, me, and the doctor get stuck. The doctor gets paid less and your insurance goes up.

Here is the truth: Louis Goehmert is too busy tripping over his white robe to even think about formulating an alternative health care plan, much less vote for one. He is swinging his wrecking ball around trying not to get primaried.

peace and love
ringo
Old 11-04-2013, 09:24 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
This false premise is based upon the notion that a consumer is actually able and willing to engage in market-based analysis/decisions when it comes to health care. When you have a heart attack, stroke, car wreck or the urgent need for medical services, you don't take the time to do a full-blown analysis/comparison of your health care options. Health care isn't the same as buying widgets.