Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:14 AM

India Strikes A Blow Against "Evergreening"

It seems even after a 20 year period of patent exclusitivity the big drug companies want to continue to be able to charge higher prices by not letting cheaper versions be sold by manufacturers of generic medicines. In short the drug company in question wanted to patent a "new drug" that was in effect the same old drug...just to keep the rights to it. That is what evergreening means.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21992724

I was listening to the BBC World Service on the Xm radio on the way to work.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:23 AM

They play the game in the U.S., too. First they patent the drug. When the patent is about to expire they play tricky-dick and try to patent metabolites that are unique to the drug. It's not my practice area but I'm pretty sure the patent office is fed up with them.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebacon View Post
They play the game in the U.S., too. First they patent the drug. When the patent is about to expire they play tricky-dick and try to patent metabolites that are unique to the drug. It's not my practice area but I'm pretty sure the patent office is fed up with them.
Profit is more important than people getting the drugs they need. Is'nt 20 years enough?
Old 04-01-2013, 12:40 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Hopefully, the SCOTUS will rule against the practice of Big Pharma paying off generic drug manufacturers for not introducing generics as soon as the law allows.

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/mar...erics-20130326
Old 04-01-2013, 01:10 PM
Area Man

OMG the government is trying to stop Big Pharma from ripping us off? We have to put a stop to this Fascist chit IMMEDIATELY!
Old 04-01-2013, 01:41 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Perhaps Obie could have a closed door meeting with the heads of Big Pharma....

Pete
Old 04-01-2013, 04:17 PM
Jigsawed

I believe Big Phar has enough patents in both sides.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:48 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Perhaps Obie could have a closed door meeting with the heads of Big Pharma....

Pete
Just what we need, more windbags spouting nonsense about how the black dude is going to throw Granma from the crazy train.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:47 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Yep, more windbag nonsense...

But I suspect you've got the wrong windbags.

Obama campaigning:

"The pharmaceutical industry wrote into the prescription drug plan that Medicare could not negotiate with drug companies. And you know what the chairman of the committee, who pushed the law through went to work for the pharmaceutical industry making 2 million dollars a year.

Imagine that.

That's an example of the same old game playing in Washington. You know I don't want to learn how to play the game better, I want to put an end to the game playing."

"Congress exempted Medicare from being able to negotiate for the cheapest available price. And that was a profound mistake."

"First, we'll take on the drug and insurance companies and hold them accountable for the prices they charge and the harm they cause... And then we'll tell the pharmaceutical companies, 'Thanks but no thanks for overpriced drugs'. Drugs that cost twice as much here as they do in Europe and Canada and Mexico. We'll let Medicare negotiate for lower prices. We'll stop drug companies from blocking generic drugs that are just as effective and far less expensive. We'll allow the safe reimportation of low-cost drugs from countries like Canada."

And my favorite:

"I'm going to listen to everybody. We'll have the doctors and the nurses and the members of Congress and patient advocates. I'll have the insurance and drug companies at the table. They just won't be able to buy every chair. And we will... And I'll be at the table. I'll have the biggest chair, because I'm president. If people have other ideas and I don't assume that I've got every single idea. It can be improved and I want input. We're going to have to make some compromises.

But here's the thing. We're going to do all these negotiations on C-SPAN."

Obama governing:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/0..._n_254833.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/0..._n_258285.html

Pete
Old 04-02-2013, 01:06 PM
Admin

Do you reboot every weekend? or does the Mrs. lock up your laptop?