Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Global political discussions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-19-2022, 07:15 PM
Admin

Columbia Elects A Leftist President After 200 Years

"BOGOTÁ, Colombia — Gustavo Petro, a former rebel who rallied young and poor voters with promises to transform an unequal society, was elected Colombia’s first leftist president on Sunday, in a resounding rejection of the political establishment that has ruled the South American nation for two centuries.

Petro received more than 50 percent of the vote, according to preliminary results, riding a wave of support from Colombians desperate for change in a country struggling with high levels of poverty. The 62-year-old senator defeated outsider candidate Rodolfo Hernández, a wealthy businessman who garnered about 47 percent of the vote in a race initially expected to be tight.

Colombia, the third-largest nation in Latin America, now becomes the latest country to shift left in a region ravaged by the coronavirus pandemic’s economic assault. Petro’s triumph, in one of the most historically conservative countries on the continent, is a stunning example of how widespread discontent has shaken the status quo.

His win is remarkable not only because of his political ideology but also because of his life story: A former clandestine guerrilla, who served time in prison in the 1980s for his involvement with a rebel group, will now become president in a country still reeling from armed criminal violence. His presidency could have profound implications for Colombia’s economic model, role of government, and its relationship with other countries in the hemisphere — including the United States, its most important ally.

“Today is a party for the people,” Petro said in a tweet Sunday night. “Let us celebrate the first popular victory. May the sufferings of many now be cushioned in the joy that today floods the hearts of the Homeland.”" WP

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...petro-rodolfo/

Remarkable.
Old 06-19-2022, 07:48 PM
Admin

"Voters on Sunday also made history in electing the country’s first Black female vice president, Francia Márquez, an environmental activist, lawyer and former housekeeper who energized a large Afro-Colombian community that long felt forgotten by those in power." WP link above

This sounds good to this old cynic.

There may be some debate as to whether Uncle Sam has been a good neighbor in the region.
Old 06-19-2022, 08:26 PM
Ready

"There may be some debate as to whether Uncle Sam has been a good neighbor in the region."

The most delicate, gentle understatement I have ever seen!
Old 06-19-2022, 08:28 PM
Admin

I need to work on my sarcasm. (grin)
Old 06-19-2022, 11:45 PM
Jigsawed

Exclamation

Even when the constitutional court recognized the community rights of Afro Colombians to land powerful arm groups still dispossessed them.

I do not expect much to change. These armed groups
representing mega agro, narco and mining, are too powerful.