Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-16-2011, 11:26 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simi View Post
Have you seen any of these people speak at any of the demonstrations? So far only Unions have been allowed. They haven't let the religious zealots speak, nor any politicians, and they are even starting to back off from letting the union leaders speak...
Just so they don't let any corporate thugs speak.
Old 10-16-2011, 11:41 AM

That's not gonna happen either..

I've been reading a few articles written by some well known and respected social and political observers that are saying to hold on to your tutu because this is just the head of the monster starting to show. Many are saying that economic collapse is imminent, and civil unrest is sure to follow if something surious doesn't change very soon...

It's getting scary out here, and it's only a matter of time if the politicians don't wake up like the public is starting to.

Here's a Cliff Notes edition.. http://theeconomiccollapseblog.com/a...er-should-know

Last edited by simi; 10-16-2011 at 11:43 AM.
Old 10-16-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simi View Post
That's not gonna happen either..

I've been reading a few articles written by some well known and respected social and political observers that are saying to hold on to your tutu because this is just the head of the monster starting to show. Many are saying that economic collapse is imminent, and civil unrest is sure to follow if something surious doesn't change very soon...

It's getting scary out here, and it's only a matter of time if the politicians don't wake up like the public is starting to.

Here's a Cliff Notes edition.. http://theeconomiccollapseblog.com/a...er-should-know
Very interesting link Simi, thanks for posting it. I'm curious as to how you figure Obama into all this. Is any of it his fault, half of it, all of it? Also, I'd like to know what your feelings on the marchers were yesterday. From what I can see on the news, there are some very good points being made, but also a lot of cooks, who just seem to be hanging out and getting stoned (not that there's anything wrong with that). What do you think will happen when it gets cold outside? Most of those protesters don't look like the rugged mountain man type. I sincerely hope they can change some things, but they have to remember that they need to portray an image that regular voting folks can relate to. I think voting is all we have ya know. They can't beat the cops, or the National guard, or the US Army, so voting is it.
Old 10-16-2011, 02:25 PM

Obama fits in because he started off talking about change and transparency. He's provided neither. Then once he got a look and taste of all the big money available to his coffers once he's out, and since he sees his puppet masters making so much, he's not going to do a damn thing to right it. He's only going to jump on the gravy wagon.

As far as the speakers at the protests, they are putting things in simple terms and trying to get information out to the public so they can see what is going on. Problem is, the public hears, te speakers, but they don't believe it because they don't see it in the news. They think a lot of the people bring the information out are fanatics. People are too lazy to do the research to find out it's much worse than what is being talked about.

I think and hope once the lawsuit against Goldman for selling naked shorts gets started it will get enough coverage in some of the media that it might put a better light on how bamboozled we've been.

However, right now, I don't have much faith in "the people" because they've sat for so long they've become afraid of change, and will wait for others to fix it for them. What they don't get is they keep voting for people to fix it for them, and they keep telling them lies and they don't believe the guy they voted for would lie to them.

Lots of people have stopped voting because they feel it does no good. Well ok then, if that's the way you feel about it, take t the streets and start screaming about it. The squeakier the wheel, the more oil it's gonna get..

I also hope that on NOV 5th the public will all join together and start moving their money out of the big banks into small local ones. However, once again, that would be too hard for people to do. It's easier to keep getting ripped off by big money..

I also think some people are going to be surprised at how many of the true diehards that are involved in OWS will stck it out through the winter. Most of them have no where else to go anyway... Many of them were robbed blind and lost everything. People like me will help them too. I've already left my number with them so if anyone needs my wife and I can bring them home with us, let them take a shower, give them a good hot meal, and let them get a good nights sleep in our guest room. That is part of what is great about this movement. People helping people.

Last edited by simi; 10-16-2011 at 02:30 PM.
Old 10-16-2011, 02:40 PM

Good stuff Simi, and good on you for offering folks your home like that. I think Americans as a whole have gotten fat and lazy (me included). Give them a big screen and a piece of crap car and house, and they are happy. IME, pain is what causes change, and I don't see that much pain happening yet. That's probably why they keep extending unemployment benefits. Keep just enough oil on the wheels and they won't squeak too loudly. Maybe the OWS folks have had enough pain. The number one issue as I see it today is China, and all the money we owe them, along with their devaluation of their dollar which is bullshit. Is it just a coincidence that they just launched their first aircraft carrier, and are designing and building planes for it. Why do they need to build a war machine all the sudden?
Old 10-16-2011, 02:44 PM

I don't know where you live TD, but if you can, you should get down to a OWS protest near you.

Watch how many people walk up to you and say hi and introduce their self. See how many ask what your story is, and how many share theirs. There are some really sad stories that connect directly to healthcare, war, and banks... It is a serious eye opener. THe speakers can't even begin to convey those stories..

And at the same time, see how many of those people will offer you their last smoke, or a dry pair of shoes. The movement is the true meaning of people for people.
Old 10-16-2011, 02:47 PM

After I get some of my crap taken care of around here I need too (family coming to visit) I'll be down at OWS a lot more, and I'll be getting video of a lot of the people talking to help put a face on this movement. It's sad man. I feel like shit every time I leave there to go back to my home, knowing how fuckin lucky I am. I have to remember though, the office I work in had over 50 people less than two years ago. We're down to 19 now.. I'm not far from a lot of the people that are doing the protesting.