Go Back   Political Forums > Global political discussions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-03-2014, 03:14 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
4-2-7 I further disagree. Almost everyone here disagrees with me and almost everyone here gets along. As a matter of fact many who disagree with me most often and perhaps most completely are also friends, some of whom have proved it, completely out of the blue (not that that's necessary fellow posters. But feel free to send large amounts of money.)

Not everything is sweetness and light of course. Such is life. A counter viewpoint is best defended with reasoned argument.

Pete
Thanks Pete.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:17 PM
Admin

Is someone feeling paranoid this afternoon? Huff some lacquer thinner and everything will be alright.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:09 PM

Clicking ignore, already visualizing the duct tape over someone mouth! (I am)

Barney

Last edited by Oerets; 03-03-2014 at 03:11 PM.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:50 PM

I'm all for debate but cut and paste of large articles written by looney tunes is far from debate. It simply says I've been brainwashed by this guy so here is my regurgitation of everything he spews. Hell I post links to Huff post articles and I'm as far away from them politically as possible.

As for the Ukraine, how soon til the shit hits the fan globally over this? Or is Putin going to give lessons on how to deal with a radical muslim uprising?
Old 03-03-2014, 04:08 PM
Admin

I seriously doubt that Russia invading the Ukraine is going to spark any sort of shooting war with the US or the EU countries. The western Ukraine may start shooting back if it comes to it but I hope not.

Putin has gone off the rails in this effective partitioning of the Ukraine, I hope the Russian people force him into an early retirement over the economic hurt he's going to cause the Russian Federation. Economic warfare is the only thing we're going to see come of this. Business as usual.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:03 PM
Jigsawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
I seriously doubt that Russia invading the Ukraine is going to spark any sort of shooting war with the US or the EU countries. The western Ukraine may start shooting back if it comes to it but I hope not.

Putin has gone off the rails in this effective partitioning of the Ukraine, I hope the Russian people force him into an early retirement over the economic hurt he's going to cause the Russian Federation. Economic warfare is the only thing we're going to see come of this. Business as usual.

I believe the Russian people are steeped in the history of Sevastopol to bear
with any economic punishment.

There were two famous sieges of Sevastopol, 1854-55 and 1941-42. The latter has strong oral history. After surviving the destruction of several armies by Erich Von Manstein (in by opinion the best general in WW11)
the Soviets held on dearly to Sevastopol for a long time but were forced to surrender because of super accurate bombing by the German air force.

I also believe there is going to be problem around Kharhiv. Here again it was in that area the wily Manstein faked, punched, bled and mauled the Soviets even when strategically they the soviets had the upper hand.

Every year, May 9, victory day is a huge celebration throughout Russia. It is acelebration which marks the defeat of the Hitler's Third Reich.

They, the Russians, will not now hand over certain concrete memorials to Hitler's sons who have once again reared their ugly heads in several former soviet countries.

I think the Russian people understands this and will forbear with their leaders.

Our foreign affairs department needs influential historians.

Last edited by Dondilion; 03-03-2014 at 06:05 PM.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:47 PM
Jigsawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondilion View Post
I believe the Russian people are steeped in the history of Sevastopol to bear
with any economic punishment.

There were two famous sieges of Sevastopol, 1854-55 and 1941-42. The latter has strong oral history. After surviving the destruction of several armies by Erich Von Manstein (in by opinion the best general in WW11)
the Soviets held on dearly to Sevastopol for a long time but were forced to surrender because of super accurate bombing by the German air force.

I also believe there is going to be problem around Kharhiv. Here again it was in that area the wily Manstein faked, punched, bled and mauled the Soviets even when strategically they the soviets had the upper hand.

Every year, May 9, victory day is a huge celebration throughout Russia. It is acelebration which marks the defeat of the Hitler's Third Reich.

They, the Russians, will not now hand over certain concrete memorials to Hitler's sons who have once again reared their ugly heads in several former soviet countries.

I think the Russian people understands this and will forbear with their leaders.

Our foreign affairs department needs influential historians.
I need to clarify this post.

Sevastopol is in Crimea.

Kharkiv is in Eastern Ukraine.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondilion View Post
I need to clarify this post.

Sevastopol is in Crimea.

Kharkiv is in Eastern Ukraine.
I always thought that was Kharkov. Turns out it's both, with Kharkiv being preferred. Damn Cyrillic alphabet! Even my spill chucker hates Kharkiv!

Another hugely important place in Crimea is Balaclava where the "Charge of the Light Brigade" occurred. Crimea is hugely important in the Russian zeitgeist. I think what will happen is that Crimea will be "hived off" of Ukraine and become either an autonomous Russian republic or given nation status within the CIS.

John
Old 03-03-2014, 05:15 PM

I see the opposite. Putin is going to send in the military to restore order and squash the muslim faction. I'm no Putin fan but I like how he handles these radical groups. I doubt there will be any beating around the bush. The retaking of the capital, airports, and border was a strong showing.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:19 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG22 View Post
I see the opposite. Putin is going to send in the military to restore order and squash the muslim faction. I'm no Putin fan but I like how he handles these radical groups. I doubt there will be any beating around the bush. The retaking of the capital, airports, and border was a strong showing.
Muslims aren't the issue in Ukraine as they make up only 12% (mostly Tatars).