Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-09-2022, 09:37 AM

Do you dare? Political topology quiz

I took this quiz recently and was somewhat surprised by the results, as was my wife: https://www.pewresearch.org/politics...ical-typology/

Essentially, you answer a few questions, and then the program tells you roughly where you are on the political spectrum. I thought it might be fun to share and see where folks end up. Share if you dare!

Disclaimer - I did find the questions/responses in the survey somewhat "stereotypical", and there wasn't an option for me with some questions to elect the answer that I would likely give if asked the same question outside the survey. Your mileage may vary.

I don't think anyone would be surprised that I surveyed to the right of center. Here is where the survey put me:

Ambivalent Right
On issues ranging from the size of the federal government to views about business, gender and race, Ambivalent Right hold many views that are largely consistent with core conservative values. Yet they also hold more moderate stances on several social issues like abortion and same-sex marriage, and they differ from some other segments of the GOP coalition in their more internationalist view of foreign policy and less restrictive stance on immigration.

Ambivalent Right are distinct from other Republican-oriented groups in their views of Donald Trump. While large majorities of each of the other Republican-oriented groups say they feel warmly toward Trump, Ambivalent Right are much less likely to say this.
Old 11-09-2022, 10:30 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Ambivalent Right

As a guy who once believed in what the GOP said it stood for and currently tired of the Democrats' focus on "wokeness" and niche cultural issues to the detriment of open discourse, I suppose I'm not too surprised though I expected to be pretty much smack dab in the middle though the middle ground is described as Stressed Sideliners and I don't comport very closely to the provided description.

I'll be the first to admit, however, that Trump has poisoned the well for me. Unless and until the GOP openly renounces Trumpism and discontinues its efforts to discredit and/or subvert elections, they'll never get my vote. The maintenance/strengthening of American democracy far outweighs any of my other policy beliefs and Trumpism's primary objective seems to be to tear down American institutions in favor of an autocracy.

The description of Outsider Left also pretty clearly describes my views other than the attribute of being young.

Last edited by finnbow; 11-09-2022 at 10:41 AM.
Old 11-09-2022, 10:55 AM

On another test was labeled a Libertarian with Fiscally Conservative Socially Liberal beliefs.

This test says ..... Democratic Mainstays.
Old 11-09-2022, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
I'll be the first to admit, however, that Trump has poisoned the well for me. Unless and until the GOP openly renounces Trumpism and discontinues its efforts to discredit and/or subvert elections, they'll never get my vote.
It was starting to happen, but it's picking up steam after last night.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/12/u...ling-2024.html

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/con...e-election-win

Noteworthy as well, JD Vance didn't mention Trump at all during his post-election speech, while a number of Trump-endorsed candidates crashed and burned last night.
Old 11-09-2022, 11:10 AM
Admin

Establishment Libby

"Roughly half of Establishment Liberals describe their political views as liberal. They hold liberal positions on nearly all issues and support an expanded role for government and a larger social safety net. They also hold liberal attitudes on issues of racial and ethnic equality. Establishment Liberals are more likely than any other group to say that compromise is how things get done in politics. About half say they are satisfied with the way things are going in the country today, and an overwhelming majority say they approve of the job Joe Biden is doing as president."

Sounds about right.
Old 11-09-2022, 11:30 AM

I took it twice and changed the few I could go either way on.

So, I am either Establishment Liberal or Ambivalent Right.

Does that make me the purple hat wearing clown I claim to be? lol
Old 11-09-2022, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GChief View Post
I took it twice and changed the few I could go either way on.

So, I am either Establishment Liberal or Ambivalent Right.

Does that make me the purple hat wearing clown I claim to be? lol
Lol
Old 11-09-2022, 11:51 PM

I wasn't sure how the test would categorize me as the choice of answers for a number of questions were a poor fit for my political philosophy.

Given that I agree with the result: Democratic Mainstays
Old 11-11-2022, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Your best fit is…
Democratic Mainstays
… along with 16% of the public
I thought I am a bit more independent since most of my family and friends who are ultra liberal get pissed off at me for my political thoughts.

From Pew:
Quote:
Democratic Mainstays are one of the largest groups in the political typology and the largest single group as a share of the Democratic coalition. They generally favor policies that expand the social safety net and support higher taxes on corporations. But they are somewhat more hawkish than other Democratic-oriented groups on foreign policy and less liberal on immigration policy and some social issues.

Like their fellow Democratic coalition group, Establishment Liberals, they are very committed to the Democratic Party – nearly half (49%) consider themselves “strong Democrats.” Democratic Mainstays were among Joe Biden’s strongest supporters in the 2020 Democratic primaries, and 92% voted for him in the November 2020 general election. As of September 2021, nearly eight-in-ten (79%) say they approve of the president’s job performance, with roughly six-in-ten (59%) saying they strongly approve.

Last edited by Rajoo; 11-11-2022 at 07:15 PM.
Old 11-11-2022, 06:24 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajoo View Post
I thought I am a bit more independent since most of my family and friends who are ultra liberal get pissed off at me for my political thoughts.
Before Trump, my conservative friends thought I was a liberal and my liberal friends thought I was conservative. Similarly, my southern friends call me a Yankee and my northern friends remark on my southerness. My redneck friends think I'm (mostly) a city slicker, whereas my city friends think I'm a redneck (because I bowhunt and fish). I guess I'm a renaissance redneck.