Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-18-2023, 07:01 AM

Echoes of George Floyd?

https://www.cnn.com/2023/03/17/us/ir...now/index.html

On March 3, Otieno was arrested by Henrico County police who were responding to a report of a possible burglary, according to a police news release. The officers, accompanied by members of the county’s crisis intervention team, placed him under an emergency custody order.

The officers transported him to a hospital where authorities say he assaulted three officers. Police took him to county jail and he was booked.

On March 6, Otieno was taken to a state mental health facility in Dinwiddie County and died during the intake process, according to Baskervill.

“They smothered him to death,” the prosecutor said.

More:
Later, at Central State Hospital, Otieno was on the ground at one point with at least 10 people on top of him, Baskervill said.

“They’re putting their back into it, leaning down. And this is from head to toe, from his braids at the top of his head, unfortunately, to his toes,” she said.

Baskervill said Otieno was eventually put on his stomach, with the pressure on him continuing, and he died in that position.
Old 03-18-2023, 08:22 AM
Ready

Biggest difference is one person doing the murder, vs a mob. Takes a psycho to slowly murder someone all by themselves. More normal people can get caught up in a mob action.
Old 04-10-2023, 08:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
https://www.cnn.com/2023/03/17/us/ir...now/index.html

On March 3, Otieno was arrested by Henrico County police who were responding to a report of a possible burglary, according to a police news release. The officers, accompanied by members of the county’s crisis intervention team, placed him under an emergency custody order.

The officers transported him to a hospital where authorities say he assaulted three officers. Police took him to county jail and he was booked.

On March 6, Otieno was taken to a state mental health facility in Dinwiddie County and died during the intake process, according to Baskervill.

“They smothered him to death,” the prosecutor said.

More:
Later, at Central State Hospital, Otieno was on the ground at one point with at least 10 people on top of him, Baskervill said.

“They’re putting their back into it, leaning down. And this is from head to toe, from his braids at the top of his head, unfortunately, to his toes,” she said.

Baskervill said Otieno was eventually put on his stomach, with the pressure on him continuing, and he died in that position.

I just ran accross this. Any speculation on what whell's point might be?
Old 04-10-2023, 10:10 AM
Jigsawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
More normal people can get caught up in a mob action.
I once had to talk down a mob from doing more serious damage to a fellow human. Some of the most vociferous and active members of the mob seemed transformed from the regular persons I knew.
Old 04-10-2023, 10:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondilion View Post
I once had to talk down a mob from doing more serious damage to a fellow human. Some of the most vociferous and active members of the mob seemed transformed from the regular persons I knew.
We are social animals, pack animals, and we are omnivores so we are genetically programmed to hunt in the safety of a pack.

And of course we are mankind and inclined to both destructive and self-destructive behavior.

I distinctly remember in Marine Corps basic training that my fellow recruits were much more likely to go after a guy who had already been identified by the DI's as a fuckup. Anybody remember the soap bar in a towel gang assault on Private Pyle scene in Full Metal Jacket? Pyle was just weak, vulnerable and managing poorly...an easy target for those inclined to take out their anger and frustration over the treatment they were getting from the drill instructors on somebody else.

Thats why I love mankind. - Randy Newman

Last edited by Ike Bana; 04-10-2023 at 05:23 PM.
Old 04-10-2023, 06:03 PM
Ready

I think we have instincts to bully, drive away, or get-together-and-kill the mentally ill, odd ducks, or people who pose a threat to everyone else in the community. Call it the pre-historic police instinct. It's why people still have an unreasoning, emotional desire for the death penalty for scary violent offenders.
Old 04-11-2023, 03:40 PM
Banned

We have held the peculiar notion that a person or society that is a little different from us, whoever we are, is somehow strange or bizarre, to be distrusted or loathed. Think of the negative connotations of words like alien or outlandish. And yet the monuments and cultures of each of our civilizations merely represent different ways of being human. An extraterrestrial visitor, looking at the differences among human beings and their societies, would find those differences trivial compared to the similarities. The Cosmos may be densely populated with intelligent beings. But the Darwinian lesson is clear: There will be no humans elsewhere. Only here. Only on this small planet. We are a rare as well as an endangered species. Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.

Carl Sagan, Cosmos