Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Economy
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-18-2013, 05:06 PM
Loyal Opposition

Can someone explain the carried interest tax break

From what I understand, hedge fund managers are allowed to treat the income they make from handling client funds as capital gains, and thus pay only fifteen percent tax on their multi-million dollar salaries. I think it called the carried interest exemption. Can someone explain to me how the economy benefits from providing such tax breaks to money managers?

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 02-18-2013, 05:52 PM
Admin

No. It's a warm yellow rain is how I've always imagined it.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:49 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Ice I thought it was the left pushing free trade

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
No. It's a warm yellow rain is how I've always imagined it.
ROTFLMAO!!

Pete
Old 02-19-2013, 09:57 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post

ROTFLMAO!!

Pete
The right does no pushing back.

Regards,
Dave
Old 02-19-2013, 10:33 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
The right does no pushing back.

Regards,
Dave
To reiterate.

Regards,
Dave
Old 02-19-2013, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post

ROTFLMAO!!

Pete
I thought George Bush and Bill Clinton (moderate to right) pushing it no?

I am really not against free trade however I think the countries that benefit from it are not as welcoming to US imports. I mean the Communists can direct their economy to compete with ours without all the restrictions we have on our own businesses here.

In other words if the Chinese want to give GM a factory they can just direct one to be built and not worry about environmental impact studies, labor rules, etc....well I guess that is the impression anyway that I get.

Last edited by icenine; 02-19-2013 at 07:36 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:58 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
I thought George Bush and Bill Clinton (moderate to right) pushing it no?

I am really not against free trade however I think the countries that benefit from it are not as welcoming to US imports. I mean the Communists can direct their economy to compete with ours without all the restrictions we have on our own businesses here.

In other words if the Chinese want to give GM a factory they can just direct one to be built and not worry about environmental impact studies, labor rules, etc....well I guess that is the impression anyway that I get.
No, it's accurate.

Years ago, I worked for a rug importer. The owner often took trips to India, Pakistan, Europe and China to meet with manufacturers.

According to him, the worst was China. One factory was this vast structure with thousands of women hand knotting and weaving rugs on primitive wooden looms. It was run by the Chinese Army. The plant had no electric lights, so they worked one shift from sun up to sundown, seven days a week, only stopping for certain Communist holidays. One day he witnessed a soldier smacking a woman around for messing up the pattern on a rug. I mean he literally held her by the arm with one hand and beat her to the floor with the other.

Of course the greedy American wasn't shocked enough to take his business to another supplier. Oh, no. That would be too expensive.............

Regards,
Dave
Old 02-18-2013, 06:45 PM
Area Man

Well, they're "gaining capital"....right?

Regards,
Dave
Old 02-18-2013, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
From what I understand, hedge fund managers are allowed to treat the income they make from handling client funds as capital gains, and thus pay only fifteen percent tax on their multi-million dollar salaries. I think it called the carried interest exemption. Can someone explain to me how the economy benefits from providing such tax breaks to money managers?

Regards,

D-Ray
Hey you need these tax breaks so that the job creators can rent factories in China from the Chinese Communists, who in turn conscript young Chinese boys and girls to work in said factories for pennies on the dollar, thus making it possible to buy Ipads at Walmart for under $500 for a profit. Of course the workers at said Walmart are not that much better off than their brothers and sisters in China.

If the elder gods get their way said factories will be set up here in the states for even lower wages and thus more profits. They have convinced the sheep that this is liberty, and thus the Tea Party is born.

It is all in an album called Animals, by Pink Floyd, which amazingly was a prophecy promulgated in 1977 by some English dudes that made really cool electronic music. They were talking about today but we were too stoned to figure it out at the time.

No I am not stoned or drunk.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:01 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
. They have convinced the sheep that this is liberty, and thus the Tea Party is born.

It is all in an album called Animals, by Pink Floyd, which amazingly was a prophecy promulgated in 1977 by some English dudes that made really cool electronic music. They were talking about today but we were too stoned to figure it out at the time.

No I am not stoned or drunk.
In the bolded. If you want a taste of what far rightwing "Liberty" looks like, reread Bobs thread on "The Citadel" or look up Glenn Becks "Independence USA".

One supposed tyrant traded for another that is even worse, I'd say.

Regards,
Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 02-19-2013 at 10:31 AM.