Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:54 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

I used the word 'savages' to describe the practice of leaving unwanted babies outside to die.

Heck, you can kill'em, but for goodness sake don't dare spank one in public.

Pete
Old 02-08-2011, 10:03 AM
Area Man

I know, Pete.

I just happen to think I am intelligent enough to know it isn't pretty. I don't need to have it shoved in my face, especially not by a losing political candidate. The whole episode just seemed pathetic to me. No different than anti-war protesters waving around gory pictures of dead soldiers.

Dave
Old 02-08-2011, 10:14 AM
Resident octogenarian

There are several possible outcome if abortions are banned;

Coathangers in some dark alley, (the woman later dies due to sepsis)

Woman carries to term and abandons the baby,

She has the baby and keeps it (and is reminded of the bastard who raped her for the rest of her life).

The child is put up for adoption and spends 18 years in an orphanage, (because our adoption laws are bloody stupid, why do you think adoptive parents go overseas)

The woman dies, because her doctor was right.

My attitude may be slightly colored because my own Mother was not supposed to have any more children after my brother, but birth control was more art than science. She developed Padgett's Disease in her late fifties probably due to my having robbed her of calcium - nature is funny that way, the foetus gets everything, the woman gets whatever is left over.

Padgett's Disease is pretty damn painful, developing it in your fifties and living until 91 can make for a pretty painful existence, she would have been better to have aborted me but that was not a choice.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:21 AM
Area Man

I'd say you should be grateful your mother had you then. She couldn't have known, at the time of your birth, that she would contract Padgetts later on anyways.

Dave
Old 02-08-2011, 10:39 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
I'd say you should be grateful your mother had you then. She couldn't have known, at the time of your birth, that she would contract Padgetts later on anyways.

Dave
I am certainly not ungrateful, indeed I was more than fortunate in parents in that at no time in my life did I doubt their love, for each other and for all their children. I used to pray that He would let me take her pain, but I guess things don't work that way.

The medical opinion was that she should not have any more children after the first three, and to top it all off I was a difficult birth having tried to be a breech birth. Granted she could not have known about Padgett's but there was whatever other risk the doctor assumed might happen.

Of course I am glad to be alive, Florence is more than glad, but I am not at all certain that I was worth the price.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:20 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

I like your attitude Rob. But we'd certainly been the poorer without your insights and sense of humor.

Pete
Old 02-08-2011, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
If you read my posts in this thread you'd see where I stand Blue. But not stating clearly what's at stake reminds me of the folks who wanted to stop showing the footage of the twin towers burning because it hurt their cause. Or the folks back during ww2 who wanted to stop showing the footage of pearl harbor burning because it hurt their cause. Over and over.
Or the folks who didn't want video of the coffins of American soldiers shown while they were trying to rally the public.

Or the folks who didn't want their "interrogation" techniques made public.

Or the folks who want executions to be done in private so people do see what the systematic murder of Americans looks like.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:54 PM

I just wish we spent half - hell one quarter -the energy we expend fighting over the unborn on the born.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:55 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Grown folks have choices.

Pete
Old 02-08-2011, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Grown folks have choices.

Pete
Whatever gets you through the night, Pete. Sanctity of human life my ass.

Nobody got to choose who their parents were. We're all concerned about some poor woman in the projects aborting her fetus, but once it pops out, we're quick to complain about welfare or food stamps or public education. We offer nothing to clean up the areas of our country that offer almost zero chance of growing up in any manner that will result in anything less than jail. We're mighty quick to build the jails, though. And have little trouble murdering the "child" 20 or 30 years later.

The people who happened to be under our bombs when we decided to liberate them had little say in the matter either, Pete. But some things just have to be done. No sanctity of human life there. Sorry, we need the oil too badly.

We can be all for preserving human life. I think that's a noble cause. But to say we're doing it in one case then so clearly not doing it in so many others is far more of a societal sin than abortion in my opinion.