We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-28-2013, 12:11 PM

So taxes are The fault of the US of A!

Interesting article on taxation from a Canadian perspective:

http://ww2.nationalpost.com/m/wp/blo...appy-uncle-sam
Old 12-28-2013, 02:00 PM
Resident octogenarian

Erik when I came down here to marry Florence my first job here pretty much matched the income I was getting at Bell. So did the combination of Fed income tax, FICA and State income tax. The difference was that in Canada I had healthcare.
Old 12-28-2013, 02:37 PM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Erik when I came down here to marry Florence my first job here pretty much matched the income I was getting at Bell. So did the combination of Fed income tax, FICA and State income tax. The difference was that in Canada I had healthcare.
The difference is in Canada you get Healthcare for your tax dollars.

Here you get a share of an $800,000 Cruise missile.
Old 12-30-2013, 01:54 PM

You don't have to watch Canadian media for long to see that the USA is to blame for just about every problem they have in Canada.
Old 12-30-2013, 02:55 PM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasillaguy View Post
You don't have to watch Canadian media for long to see that the USA is to blame for just about every problem they have in Canada.
Was I recall speaking to ma guy here who was working for a Canadian company. He was bitching about the fact that all the management at the top came from Canada. I laughed out loud and asked him how he liked it when the shoe was now on the other foot. Remember the iron ore mining company in Quebec, the U.S. got the ore and Canada got the shaft.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasillaguy View Post
Well, after the US attacked our currency and bought up our domestic manufacturing base, what did you think would happen?
Old 12-31-2013, 05:02 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigerik View Post
Well, after the US attacked our currency and bought up our domestic manufacturing base, what did you think would happen?
As we abandoned our own. Instead of blaming Canadians, maybe we should blame ourselves? Oh, no. THAT'S not going to happen. Not that America is now the land of perpetual victimhood.

Even our business leaders and ultra wealthy are all "victims" now. Did you know that, Erik?

Dave
Old 12-31-2013, 05:50 AM
Ready

Every economic transaction between "the U.S." and "Canada" was actually between firms, making their own decisions in a free market, wasn't it? If a firm buys a controlling interest in another and takes over it's management, the 'buying' was a free market transaction between willing buyers and willing sellers, wasn't it?

If anyone doesn't like how all this works out, just what about it do you think needs to be changed?
Old 12-31-2013, 06:20 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
Every economic transaction between "the U.S." and "Canada" was actually between firms, making their own decisions in a free market, wasn't it? If a firm buys a controlling interest in another and takes over it's management, the 'buying' was a free market transaction between willing buyers and willing sellers, wasn't it?

If anyone doesn't like how all this works out, just what about it do you think needs to be changed?
Don there are friendly buyouts and hostile buyouts. Some of that changed when Mitchell Sharpe was Minister of Trade - Sharpe is the neme and sharpe is the game they used to say.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:55 AM
Ready

But 'friendly and hostile' are in relation to the existing management. The buyout is in relation to owners of stock. Not some thing.

Again, is the idea here that some people should be stopped from buying stock sometimes? Or what?