Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-04-2012, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
Not to say that pharmaceutical manufacturers do no research but most of the real research is done by the NIH, CDC and American universities (with government funding). Much of the research that pharma does is figuring out how to change one molecule or one ingredient in a particular product, without materially affecting its efficacy, so that they can get a patent on a "new" drug. They do this when the patent on one of their drugs is about to expire or when they want to cut into the market share of a competitor with a "hot" new drug.

John

Well John,

I would start writing the FDA, after all they approve all new drugs. And if they are approving drugs like that, then call your Representatives and tell them to stop the FDA from doing business in that manner.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:22 AM
Resident octogenarian

Anyone who requires prescription drugs can tell you that the caosts have risen at three or four times the rate of inflation.

And was it not strange that Prilosec was a prescription drug until the patent ran out then it became available over the counter.

As to complaining to the FDA you would be better of shouting up a dead horse's arse, they are in the pocket of Big Pharma. Remember how they tried to stop people from bringing the same drugs, made by the same companies, in from Canada saying we could not trust them, utter bullshit. Florence's BP prescription just increased from $400 for a 90 day supply to $500.

In the 19th century doctors used leeches to bleed their patients, now they use Big Pharma.

What we really need to do is take all the higher management from Big Pharma and throw the lot of them in jail.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:25 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Bill View Post
Well John,

I would start writing the FDA, after all they approve all new drugs. And if they are approving drugs like that, then call your Representatives and tell them to stop the FDA from doing business in that manner.
From exactly where do you think our representatives get the money for election time?
Old 07-05-2012, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
From exactly where do you think our representatives get the money for election time?

That is why I posted this post Merrylander, and you answered all the questions !

Everyone has their hands out, and they are greedy and want all that they can get.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:23 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

D, I tend to agree, but how does one fix it without killing the golden goose?

Pete
Old 07-05-2012, 10:45 AM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
D, I tend to agree, but how does one fix it without killing the golden goose?

Pete
Tighten up the Patent Laws. I think price controls would be in order too. The pharmacological research is already largely socialized to the benefit of the drug companies. The drug companies also benefit from billions of medicare and other government dollars going to purchase medications. That should justify some influence in pricing.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 07-05-2012, 11:15 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Bill View Post
That is why I posted this post Merrylander, and you answered all the questions !

Everyone has their hands out, and they are greedy and want all that they can get.
Well there is some hanky panky going on with the middlemen (God that's all this country does - middlemen). Florence phoned the new Walgren's that opened about a year ago - same prescription the old drugstore wanted $500 for Walgren's will sell it to her for $283.

So it is not only the foreign Pharmas but our own countrymen screwing us. I guess I was right, this place does run on the Jack System.

Oops my error it is the new Wegmans that just opened here, not Walgren's

Last edited by merrylander; 07-05-2012 at 11:20 AM.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:18 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
Tighten up the Patent Laws. I think price controls would be in order too. The pharmacological research is already largely socialized to the benefit of the drug companies. The drug companies also benefit from billions of medicare and other government dollars going to purchase medications. That should justify some influence in pricing.

Regards,

D-Ray
The government lets the VA negotiate price with the drug companies but would not let them do so under Medicare Part D.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post

Regards,

D-Ray
While we're at it, we could amend Medicare Part D.

John
Old 07-05-2012, 11:34 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

"...

It says the White House agreed to oppose any congressional efforts to use the government's leverage to bargain for lower drug prices or import drugs from Canada -- and also agreed not to pursue Medicare rebates or shift some drugs from Medicare Part B to Medicare Part D, which would cost Big Pharma billions in reduced reimbursements.

..."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/0..._n_258285.html

Pete