Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-02-2013, 01:33 PM
Area Man

"Stealing from our Children!" ?

A few years ago, whilst watching Tea Party demonstration, I noticed people holding up babies and signs claiming "Obama is stealing my future!"............

Once again, on "Morning Joe" the other day, I heard people make the claim that "..the elderly.." are "...stealing from our kids.". This time it was in regards to SS, Medicare and other programs designed to benefit the elderly.

The assertion made was that the wealth in this country, because of "New Deal and Great Society Era" programs, is now concentrated in the elderly and children are being asked to pay the price.........(I thought conservatives believed that "It's not a zero sum game". At least that used to be Limbaughs mantra.)

In otherwords, Grandma is stealing food from the mouths of babes.

Personally, I think this is just an absurd attempt to emotionalize the issue of SS and Medicare cuts by those who have seen such programs as evil "so(c)ialism" all along. And has little basis in reality.

First off, I don't buy that wealth has become "concentrated in the elderly". And it sure as hell won't be when my generation and those following us begin to leave the workforce. That notion is ridiculous. My neighborhood and family is full of elderly people struggling to get by. Some of them trying to re-enter the workforce---"Welcome to Walmart. Can I get you a cart?'

Secondly, I frequently see young, poor and mostly Black women using food stamps to by Similac and diapers.

Sorry, but I just don't see how "the elderly" are "stealing from babies".

And, furthermore, I'd say if you want to look and see where the wealth is being concentrated.......

Perhaps you should start by looking to the wealthy.

Regards,
Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 03-02-2013 at 01:38 PM.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:44 PM
Resident octogenarian

Yeah but like a former governor of Colorado said we old folks have a duty to commit suicide and save the country money.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:51 PM

According to the Elder Economic Index, in most areas the data indicates that the gap between being able to make ends meet and being eligible for aid in the senior population has increased substantially.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Yeah but like a former governor of Colorado said we old folks have a duty to commit suicide and save the country money.
Old vets are doing their share of the heavy lifting.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/melanieh...ide-every-day/

Maybe the easy ride on welfare isn't all it's advertised to be.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:12 PM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbara View Post
According to the Elder Economic Index, in most areas the data indicates that the gap between being able to make ends meet and being eligible for aid in the senior population has increased substantially.
The stories about older people eating cat food because they can't afford proper food are probably going to stop. When I see what it costs to feed our (now) three ferals I doubt they will be able to afford it.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:37 PM
Area Man

I just find it interesting and more than a little dismaying that some of us have moved on to demonizing the elderly as thieves, stealing food from babies, to serve what is little more than a political goal. It's bad enough we have successfully villified our own workforce and the poor, but now the elderly?

Where does it end?

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 03-02-2013 at 02:40 PM.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:50 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
I just find it interesting and more than a little dismaying that some of us have moved on to demonizing the elderly as thieves, stealing food from babies, to serve what is little more than a political goal. It's bad enough we have successfully villified our own workforce and the poor, but now the elderly?

Where does it end?

Dave
When we hear the rain of "winner take all" capitalist's bodies hitting the pavement down on Wall Street? Suicide of the assisted type by their broke customers...

Is it any wonder those windows in skyscrapers don't open anymore!
Old 03-02-2013, 03:01 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

I think there is a certain truth to the notion that the heretofore untouchable Social Security and Medicaid Programs are now paying out far more in benefits than the recipients have paid in during their lifetimes. Ultimately, somebody will need to pay the difference and it won't be old folks as they are no longer paying FICA taxes to fund these programs. So, yes, ultimately younger (and still working) folks will pay for these programs unless program benefits are cut to the point that current incoming funds will adequately resource the programs. This is highly doubtful because old folks vote in higher percentages than young folks and many are singularly focused on SS and Medicare.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:15 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
I think there is a certain truth to the notion that the heretofore untouchable Social Security and Medicaid Programs are now paying out far more in benefits than the recipients have paid in during their lifetimes. Ultimately, somebody will need to pay the difference and it won't be old folks as they are no longer paying FICA taxes to fund these programs. So, yes, ultimately younger (and still working) folks will pay for these programs unless program benefits are cut to the point that current incoming funds will adequately resource the programs. This is highly doubtful because old folks vote in higher percentages than young folks and many are singularly focused on SS and Medicare.
I understand that. But, what I don't understand is why anyone has a problem with it, much less considers it "theft". And from "babies"? Oh, come on. You and I and everyone else have already been paying out to these programs for our whole lives to benefit our parents and grandparents. So what? Are you starving? I'm certainly not. I know they benefit elderly folks, I've seen it. My reaction is "Cool. Glad I could help."

I just don't understand the mentality of it. Are they raising their kids on the premise that helping others is bad? (Unless, of course that someone can pay them handsomely for their assistance...)

If so, this does not bode well for the future.

And, I believe the motivation is selfish, greedy and little more than political beyond that.

Regards,
Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 03-02-2013 at 03:17 PM.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:18 PM
Area Man

Find me a baby that pays taxes.

Dave