Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-03-2013, 12:20 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
What Morning Joe Scarbourough was saying Dave was actually that you and I were stealing not grandma. Scarbourough is good sometimes annoying at other times. I think the real issue is that our economy is changing radically, and the old system that worked well post-WWII will not work for today's generation. In other words we may be like Great Britain in after WWII....not the great power we were. Figuring out how to fund these programs should be our effort, not laying blame on grand ma. They all talk about austerity, which is just another way of saying how can we live with less, which is another way of saying life in America will not be as good for our children as it was for us.
I always wondered if Scarbourough got a Congressional retirement....
Yeah, "you and I"....but not him. That says it all.

You and I will be the "elderly" that are "stealing from our kids" should SS and Medicare survive that long. So, yes, laying blame on Grandpa, you and I, is exactly what they were doing.

Regards,
Dave
Old 03-03-2013, 12:21 PM
reflexionar

I just figure I am going to have to make do on whatever I get. That means it is pretty much up to me to make sure my house is paid off and I have very limited or no other debt when I retire. 401K and savings, plus a rental income and whatever I get from SS should let me get by as long as I don't have to give it all up in taxes by then.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:29 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpholland View Post
I just figure I am going to have to make do on whatever I get. That means it is pretty much up to me to make sure my house is paid off and I have very limited or no other debt when I retire. 401K and savings, plus a rental income and whatever I get from SS should let me get by as long as I don't have to give it all up in taxes by then.
That has always been the case for most Americans. I'd just like to know there is something there that is a little less directly connected to the volatile stock market. Which, I believe, is only a reasonable concern. A 401k (I have two.) is pretty much worthless in that regard. Income from rentals is not much better, and chances are you will only be able to manage rental properties for only so long into your twilight years.

Regards,
Dave
Old 03-03-2013, 02:05 PM
Sir Lord Vader of Cheam

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Have you been affected yet, Ice? I have a few retired military friends, rightwingers, who are howling right now. My comment to them was, "You asked for cuts, you got them. I guess it's only good when it's someone else?"

You can imagine the response.

Regards,
Dave
Fucking beautiful.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:10 PM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Have you been affected yet, Ice? I have a few retired military friends, rightwingers, who are howling right now. My comment to them was, "You asked for cuts, you got them. I guess it's only good when it's someone else?"

Regards,
Dave
Hoist by their own petard.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:50 PM

Quote:

Regards,
Dave
No, but that is because there is some sort of different fund for military health care from what the Admiral is saying. Plus I work in ancillary services, i.e allied health care.
In short we need x-ray techs, nurses, etc to keep the Wounded Warrior care going.
I may be furloughed but it will be in April and I may be last on the list.

But I do think non-health care government workers are already being told they are being furloughed...people that work at the Naval Station at 32nd Street, North Island,etc...

Plus it could hurt all the private businesses the MIC does sort of help out here in San Diego...time will tell I guess.

In this part of the Nation I hear occasional grumblings from retirees about Obama,
but in general not about big government (in real life not AM radio ). If you are bored and want to hear some old fashion complaining stand near a line of old retirees at a Naval Hospital Pharmacy.You would think the world was ending for them to have to wait for their medicine, which includes absolutely zero co-pays.

Last edited by icenine; 03-03-2013 at 02:56 PM.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
Fucking beautiful.
Yes it is really odd...there is a younger Tea Party guy across from me in an office at work...
he has all these gun magazines on his desk. He is a pretty nice guy actually we are pretty friendly. However he seemed more pissed off about the sequester than I did. I kind told him well that is what you wanted right? I think he is blaming Obama...I think he wanted the President to just cave to the Republicans. But he seems a bit upset with Boehner also.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:32 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
No, but that is because there is some sort of different fund for military health care from what the Admiral is saying. Plus I work in ancillary services, i.e allied health care.
In short we need x-ray techs, nurses, etc to keep the Wounded Warrior care going.
I may be furloughed but it will be in April and I may be last on the list.

But I do think non-health care government workers are already being told they are being furloughed...people that work at the Naval Station at 32nd Street, North Island,etc...

Plus it could hurt all the private businesses the MIC does sort of help out here in San Diego...time will tell I guess.

In this part of the Nation I hear occasional grumblings from retirees about Obama,
but in general not about big government (in real life not AM radio ). If you are bored and want to hear some old fashion complaining stand near a line of old retirees at a Naval Hospital Pharmacy.You would think the world was ending for them to have to wait for their medicine, which includes absolutely zero co-pays.
So Ice why, if the government is doing such a good job of looking after you guys, do I have at least three organization begging for money for our wounded, or for phone cards so they can call home? Hell I even gave all my flyying miles to one outfit because the Government is to damn cheap to fly them home past Dover AFB, converted muy Marriott bonuses int vouchers for the Red Cross also as there is no way we are going flying or need a hotel. IMHO the government and or the VA is dropping the ball.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
So Ice why, if the government is doing such a good job of looking after you guys, do I have at least three organization begging for money for our wounded, or for phone cards so they can call home? Hell I even gave all my flyying miles to one outfit because the Government is to damn cheap to fly them home past Dover AFB, converted muy Marriott bonuses int vouchers for the Red Cross also as there is no way we are going flying or need a hotel. IMHO the government and or the VA is dropping the ball.
Well Americans are pretty nice about supporting the troops, but I would be really wary who you give support to. In general do research. To be quite frank I would not give to anyone who says they need money for phone cards...in Iraq we found a way to call a a telephone line at a US Army base that was dedicated for outside calls..in other words we could call free sometimes. Plus the internet cafes have the IM chat programs so that made things easy.

Now if anyone gives you a line about not being flown past Dover that is a pile of crap. All returning troops from the war theatre are flown back to the base from which they originally left the continental US. Then either you drive your own car home or if you were from some other base in the USA the military will fly you back there (to your home unit).

If you are feeling patriotic maybe donate to the USO...for all other charities do some detailed research.

You have to remember Merrylander I was a lifer. So my military retirement benefits are probably much better than the VA benefits of a young trooper who did only three years but was scarred from the wars and went back into society having to rely on the VA system for benefits. The ones who lost limbs and were terribly injured are indeed given medical retirements and so on,but there are many more wounded veterans who appear ok but may fall through the cracks...now a decent charity for those would be a good organization to support. I do not know if you saw 60 minutes last night.

Last edited by icenine; 03-04-2013 at 09:02 AM.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:42 AM

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=50142077n

The Life and Death Of Clay Hunt