Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Global political discussions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-04-2016, 04:52 PM
Persona non grata

Why Vladimir Putin’s People Love Him

The knee jerk demonization of Vladimir Putin has reached absurdity on this forum. It's about time somebody posted a more even handed POV.

http://thefederalist.com/2016/04/13/...ople-love-him/

Quote:
By certain traditional measures, Russian President Vladimir Putin is the pre-eminent statesman of his time. When he took power in the winter of 1999–2000, his defenseless and bankrupt country was being carved up by its new kleptocratic elites, in collusion with its old imperial rivals. Much as Kemal Atatürk had done in Turkey seven decades earlier, Putin rescued a nation-state from the ruins of an empire and gave it coherence and purpose.

He disciplined his country’s unaccountable plutocrats, restored its military strength, and refused, with ever-blunter rhetoric, the subservient role in an American-run world system that foreign politicians and business leaders had drawn up for Russia. His voters credit him with having “saved his country.” So do many of his Russian detractors, although they worry he has stayed in power too long.

He is among the more popular democratically elected leaders in the civilized world and, incidentally, a hero to certain right-wing rebels against the international order, particularly in Europe. This is awkward for him and for them, since, unlike Atatürk, Putin has no programmatic ideology.
continued
Old 11-04-2016, 04:59 PM
Rational Anarchist

I'm thinking you enjoy the absurdity.
Old 11-04-2016, 05:18 PM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailer View Post
I'm thinking you enjoy the absurdity.
I need the eggs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-M3Q2zhGd4

Last edited by Tom Joad; 11-04-2016 at 05:21 PM.
Old 11-04-2016, 05:24 PM
Rational Anarchist

Don't we all.
Old 11-04-2016, 05:38 PM
Admin

The Weekly Standard guy?
Old 11-04-2016, 05:48 PM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
The Weekly Standard guy?
You attack every source that you disagree with no matter where on the political spectrum it comes from.
Old 11-04-2016, 05:53 PM
Admin

Horse pucky. You're just pissed that someone noticed that your source is a far right nutjob.
Old 11-04-2016, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
Horse pucky. You're just pissed that someone noticed that your source is a far right nutjob.
Yeah, you kinda do, Bob.
Old 11-04-2016, 06:26 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
Yeah, you kinda do, Bob.
Sure John. Suuuure, because reading the article and then researching the author is somehow shooting the messenger. Ferfucksake, the Federalist is run by one of the co-founders of RedState and this slobbering Putin fanboy op-ed isn't a reasonable "evenhanded" counter viewpoint of Vlad Putin. Spare me....

Last edited by bobabode; 11-04-2016 at 11:26 PM.
Old 11-04-2016, 09:59 PM

There is a whole more of this story at the link for this clip.

Quote:
This massive Russian campaign has led to significant disputes within the Kremlin. Russian officials originally believed it could be conducted without any significant blowback from the United States. According to information obtained by the Western intelligence source, Sergei Ivanov, the chief of staff for the presidential executive office in the Kremlin, came to believe this summer that the hacking and disinformation campaign, which has been orchestrated in part by Peskov, had gone too far. Articles implying that Russian had been trying to split the supporters of Democratic primary runner-up Bernie Sanders and Clinton while building up Trump set off fears among Peskov and others that they would be held responsible for the backlash from the United States, according to the information obtained by the Western intelligence source.

Ivanov was also furious that Peskov led what he considered to be an ill-conceived and botched attempt to use the hacking and disinformation campaign to interfere in the failed coup attempt in Turkey in July. The web of relationships involving Turkey, Western Europe, the United States, Syria and Trump is complex, and Ivanov expressed disbelief that an attempt to interfere with the coup was undertaken without examining the possible ramifications. The Incirlik air base in Turkey has been used as a primary staging area for American bombers engaged in attacks on the Islamic State group in both Syria and Iraq; Russia supports President Bashar al-Assad, the Syrian president who is fighting off a variety of rebel outfits, including ISIS, which has led the Kremlin to authorize bombing campaigns there. Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan despises Trump and his associates because of the Republican nominee’s anti-Muslim rhetoric (in March, one of Trump’s Turkish business partners was indicted in what some Erdogan critics described as retribution). Erdogan has told associates he will not cooperate militarily with a Trump administration, according to a Middle Eastern financier in direct contact with senior Turkish officials.

By interfering in the Turkish coup with propaganda efforts, one faction in the Kremlin believes Moscow might have squandered the advantages to be gained from Erdogan’s contempt for Trump, according to both European and Middle Eastern intelligence sources. If Erdogan is angry at the next American president, the ability of the United States to engage in military action in Syria would be severely limited. If Russian interference in the coup leads Erdogan to turn his fury on Moscow, the Americans might maintain access to the air base.

Dmitry Medvedev, the Russian prime minister, is also deeply concerned about the cyberattacks and disinformation campaigns, according to information obtained by a Western intelligence source. He wants to maintain a close relationship with the United States so he can travel to America both officially and privately. As a result, he is refusing to support Peskov or to strongly combat U.S. charges about the hacking campaign.

Despite these qualms, Putin remained satisfied with the campaign, regardless of the outcome of the U.S. election, according to information obtained by the Western intelligence source. Should Clinton win, he has told associates, her administration would be bogged down trying to heal divisions within the United States brought about by releases and misrepresentations of hacked information, and would have little time or political capital to confront Russia’s efforts in Syria, Ukraine and other locales.

By August, however, fears began to emerge within the Kremlin that the effort was falling apart. Trump’s attacks on the parents of a slain Muslim American soldier following the father’s speech at the Democratic convention created dismay in the Kremlin. Top Russian officials came to believe Trump would be forced to withdraw from the race because of his psychological state and apparent unsuitability for the presidency, according to information obtained by the Western intelligence source. In particular, Kremlin officials feared they could not predict what impact it might have on Russia should Trump step aside. As a result, the Russians decided to stop forwarding material through channels to WikiLeaks, although some material was already in the pipeline.

Ivanov expressed his belief that, while the United States has failed to split the Russian elite with sanctions over its invasion of Ukraine, the cyberattacks had created political division in the United States. Still, he had strong concerns about the impact of continuing the campaign in the aftermath of Trump’s attack on the parents who had lost a child in war. By that time, though, the internal controversy over the cyberattacks and disinformation campaign had taken its toll, and a decision was reached to “sweep it all under the rug,” according to a report obtained by Western counterintelligence officials. On August 12, Ivanov—a close ally of Putin for decades—was forced out of office by the Russian strongman and replaced by Anton Vaino, who had been the deputy chief of staff.
http://www.newsweek.com/donald-trump...-europe-516895

Carl