Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-08-2015, 03:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
That's probably true but, even if it does, that doesn't mean that they all swallow the bullshit promoted by LaPierre and The Nuge. Hell, 75% of NRA members are in favor of stricter gun laws.

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/...ck-gun-control
And what's the problem with Roseburg's gun control advocates? Nine innocent people were massacred on their Jr. College campus for christ's sake. They all go mute?

Last edited by Ike Bana; 10-08-2015 at 03:39 PM.
Old 10-08-2015, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Bana View Post
And what's the problem with Roseburg's gun control advocates? Nine innocent people were massacred on their Jr. College campus for christ's sake. They all go mute?
Well, it appears they made their village idiot the Sher'f, so, who knows?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Old 10-08-2015, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Roseburg's a small town in a very rural area between Medford and Eugene. I doubt they have many "advocates" of any kind. That being said, it's beginning to look like you only read the parts of the article that supported your preconceptions.

Quote:
And while the mass shooting here has pushed some people toward wanting to arm themselves, it has also pushed others in the opposite direction. Students like Devon Paasch, 36, whose writing teacher, Lawrence Levine, was among the victims, said the killings had intensified her belief that the country needed stricter gun laws. Ms. Paasch was not on campus that morning because she slept through her alarm; she has spent the past week tilting among grief, guilt and a fear of returning to school.

“No kind of gun control is going to stop everything,” Ms. Paasch said. “But in a situation like this, it could have saved 10 lives.”

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

But Ashley Schmidt, 28, said the horror she heard through the walls of the classrooms had nudged her toward supporting rules that would regulate guns the way cars are. She was in Classroom 14 in Snyder Hall when the shooting started and ran out amid a storm of gunfire, yelling “Gun! Gun! Gun!” at a girl in the hallway whose earbuds had blocked out the noise.
Old 10-08-2015, 06:25 PM
Persona non grata

http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/08/politi...ld-up-popeyes/

Quote:
Washington (CNN)GOP presidential candidate Ben Carson recounted Wednesday a story about being held at gunpoint, amid backlash over comments he made about the Oregon community college shooting in which he suggested victims of the shooting could have done more to fight back.

"I have had a gun held on me when I was in a Popeye's organization" in Baltimore, the retired neurosurgeon told Karen Hunter on Sirius XM Radio, referring to the fried chicken fast-food chain.

"Guy comes in, put the gun in my ribs. And I just said, 'I believe that you want the guy behind the counter,'" Carson.
Old 10-08-2015, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Joad View Post
Jesus! Suddenly it's not "Hey, guys, let's rush him!" anymore. It's "Don't shoot me. Shoot the other guy." How can anyone take this clown seriously?

By the way, I think I know that Popeye's "organization". It's on Broadway, more or less across the street from the old main building at Hopkins. It's in a VERY bad neighborhood. (Think "The Wire".) Hopkins staff get walked to and from, their cars by armed security, even if their cars are parked in the Hospital's covered parking garages. The idea of Carson walking into that Popeye's by himself is crazy!
Old 10-08-2015, 11:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
Roseburg's a small town in a very rural area between Medford and Eugene. I doubt they have many "advocates" of any kind. That being said, it's beginning to look like you only read the parts of the article that supported your preconceptions.
Gun control is bullshit.

All the background checks and concealed carry standards on earth will not stop the next rash of school shootings, theater shootings and church shootings in this country. It's too late for gun control in this country. We have a sick relationship with guns. The country demonstrated that it can't reasonably manage firearms in the culture a long time ago. The country can't manage a Second Amendment, and we've been aware of it since Charles Whitman killed his mother, his wife, then killed 14 more and wounded 31 inside and from the top of the UT Tower Building in Austin Texas in 1962.

And we're still thinking we can control this shit with background checks, concealed carry standards, and magazine capacity limits? This will all go away if we can just get guns out of the hands of the mentally ill, those prone to violence, and criminals? Fucking really?
Old 10-08-2015, 11:26 PM

My own attitude has shifted since thinking about the 2nd and it's influence over the last 10 years. Oversupply, lack of realistic accountability, and fanciful reinterpretation has turned whatever it was supposed to represent into a tragic cosmic curse of deaths, mystical bullshit and deliberate misrepresentation.
Yet still we tolerate the consequences with no meaningful constructive dialog toward a logical policy.

Last edited by Pio1980; 10-08-2015 at 11:34 PM.
Old 10-08-2015, 11:40 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pio1980 View Post
My own attitude has shifted since thinking about the 2nd over the last 10 years. Oversupply, lack of realistic accountability, and fanciful reinterpretation has turned whatever it was supposed to represent into a tragic cosmic curse of mystical bullshit and deliberate misrepresentation.
Yet still we tolerate the consequences with no meaningful constructive dialog toward a logical policy.

That's about the best assessment I have seen yet. I used to think the 2nd was the most essential Amendment. Now, I think it's become a nice, heavy pair of cement shoes in frigid water that's lapping at our chins.

I have gone from a mild disinterest in gun ownership to wanting to toss every one of the damned things into a smelter. (Along with anyone who tries to stop me.)
Old 10-08-2015, 11:47 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Gun control is bullshit.

All the background checks and concealed carry standards on earth will not stop the next rash of school shootings, theater shootings and church shootings in this country. It's too late for gun control in this country. We have a sick relationship with guns. The country demonstrated that it can't reasonably manage firearms in the culture a long time ago. The country can't manage a Second Amendment, and we've been aware of it since Charles Whitman killed his mother, his wife, then killed 14 more and wounded 31 inside and from the top of the UT Tower Building in Austin Texas in 1962.

And we're still thinking we can control this shit with background checks, concealed carry standards, and magazine capacity limits? This will all go away if we can just get guns out of the hands of the mentally ill, those prone to violence, and criminals? Fucking really?
"Go away"? No, that's unrealistic. But, I'll take a reduction, however slight. I would support gun control even if it ended up being little more than a sweet "FUCK YOU!" to the ammosexual lobby.

Sometimes, it's just fun to remind them that they are despised.
Old 10-09-2015, 12:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pio1980 View Post
My own attitude has shifted since thinking about the 2nd over the last 10 years. Oversupply, lack of realistic accountability, and fanciful reinterpretation has turned whatever it was supposed to represent into a tragic cosmic curse of mystical bullshit and deliberate misrepresentation.

There's so much gone wrong with this country. But y'know, even without all the other problems, the country is fucked simply because of the guns. And there's no way the solution will ever be enacted.