Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Religion & Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-02-2011, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
If you can fix electrical components with a mallet, or better yet a thump of your finger...you have a bad connection.

Chas
Yes, but on the invoice it's "Reseated components, $25"
Old 12-02-2011, 05:05 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
There is a bit of good news, my son in law works for the giant tooling company Kennemetal, they're closing production in India and... China? and bringing it back here. They pay pretty well too, kinda a good old fashioned skilled blue collar job.

Antitrust is a joke. I spoke to a plastic supplier a few years back, he said if one giant oil company raised raw material prices a penny everyone else did too.

Pete
"Here", as in to Ohio? That would be cool. I'd love to see Ohio back on top. Ohio has produced some great people. Like you and me, for instance.

I used to work with plastics engineers from GE, Beyer and Wellman when I worked in the automotive industry. What that guy told you is very true. But, it's not just plastics, it's everything. Why do you think cars are all similarly priced, no matter who made it, or where it was made? Lowballers learn to play along or get run out of town in that industry. It's just the real ways of the world, I'm afraid.

Dave
Old 12-03-2011, 07:40 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Ever see 'Armageddon' with Bruce Willis? A Russkie cosmonaut is banging on an inoperative control panel with a wrench, yelling 'Russian electronics. American electronics. All made in Taiwan!'

Given that car parts come from everywhere, I'd think that if we slapped tariffs on everything cars would get more expensive.

And the 'free trade' agreements really aren't. You'd think I could simply ship stuff to Canada like anywhere else, but that sure isn't so. Extra paperwork and steps, lots of extra fees, border delays, it could be much more efficient.

China, those thieves. Let's get'em

Pete
Tell me about it, I just sent our son a cheque so he could get the two girls their Christmas presents. It is not just the damn forms but the Post Office seems to have a new rule on shipments to Canada - "How much are the contents worth? Ok that is the postage."
Old 12-03-2011, 07:47 AM
Resident octogenarian

Well I may soon be too busy to post here, just ordere 500 sq ft of Bruce flooring to put a floating floor in the playroom. When I can afford the drop ceiling then I will need to get a permiit. It is funny how you can do the walls and floor and not need a permit, but put in a ceiling . . .
Old 12-03-2011, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Tell me about it, I just sent our son a cheque so he could get the two girls their Christmas presents. It is not just the damn forms but the Post Office seems to have a new rule on shipments to Canada - "How much are the contents worth? Ok that is the postage."
Well, how else are the people in customs going to know if there is anything worth stealing in the package?

Years ago I bought an SME IIIs owners manual from a guy in Germany. He wanted payment in the form of $20 US cash. He notified me that he received the envelope but without the green. So I sent another.

Then I received an envelope minus the manual. As he had another, he sent it and it finally made it.

Now I can understand customs stealing the green money, but a SME manual? I imagine that only a few of them had any idea of what is was.

I also bought a case of Busha Brownes Pukka Sauce from Jamaica. When it arrived, it had been opened and one bottle stolen.

Low rent bastards.

I suppose I should be grateful that the ninja brigade didn't wait until I had taken the package indoors and then burst in and shot my dog.

Chas
Old 12-03-2011, 08:55 AM
Area Man

You have the worst luck, Chas. Good Lord.
I recently ordered some tubes from Canada.
Arrived safe and sound................

Dave
Old 12-03-2011, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Well I may soon be too busy to post here, just ordere 500 sq ft of Bruce flooring to put a floating floor in the playroom. When I can afford the drop ceiling then I will need to get a permiit. It is funny how you can do the walls and floor and not need a permit, but put in a ceiling . . .
You have to pull a permit to install a drop ceiling?

You should probably pick up a copy of the BOCA code to make sure that you're doing it right, otherwise the inspector will make you tear it down.

Chas
Old 12-03-2011, 10:17 AM
Resident octogenarian

The permit IMHO is simply so that the county will know that I just added about $50,000 to the value of the house so they can raise my property tax. The problem is my nosy beatch of a neighbour saw Owens Corning bringing in all the material and tools to do the walls. When she sees 500 sq ft of flooring coming in that will tear it and she will be on the phone to the county.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:34 AM
Area Man

Quote:
The permit IMHO is simply so that the county will know that I just added about $50,000 to the value of the house so they can raise my property tax. The problem is my nosy beatch of a neighbour saw Owens Corning bringing in all the material and tools to do the walls. When she sees 500 sq ft of flooring coming in that will tear it and she will be on the phone to the county.
Yep. I had a room added onto my house six years ago. When the city assessor came, she took pictures and measurements. Excessively thorough, for a 10x14 addition............................

Dave
Old 12-03-2011, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Yep. I had a room added onto my house six years ago. When the city assessor came, she took pictures and measurements. Excessively thorough, for a 10x14 addition............................

Dave
Whenever I added a 14x28 screened in porch to the rear of my abode, neither the assessor or any of his minions ever stopped by...even though he could see me doing it every time he walked out of the courthouse.

I think my Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde personality may of had something to do with that. That, and whenever they've shown up on one of my jobs asking questions, I've always told them that I was busy and if they wanted any specifics they needed to talk to the homeowner.

Fuck 'em. The county has never kicked any work my way, so I'll be damned if I'm going to help them do their job.

Chas