Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-30-2022, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Insane View Post
Though I agree with the statement, I think a better way of putting it would be, "Labeling statements as "true" doesn't confer support by facts.

Simple example: Fact: Ocean levels at some places are rising. False truth some may infer: Ocean levels are rising.

Why is it a false truth? Because in some places ocean levels are falling. The fact ignored is that in some places land falls and in other places it rises, whereas sea levels reach a constant. They're much more fluid.

So, the "fact" that the sea level at a particular place is rising is only "proof" that the sea level is rising in that one place. It could be that the water is rising OR that the land is sinking. And both DO happen all the time.
Many "Facts" are facts in appropriate context, some are universal. The speed of light is taken as a constant, it's a universal value in relationship to a stationary point if there's agreement on that context. The speed of light in one direction measured from the aspect of light directed in the opposite direction makes for an interesting discussion concerning the absolute relative speed vs the theoretical context.
Old 05-01-2022, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pio1980 View Post
Many "Facts" are facts in appropriate context, some are universal. The speed of light is taken as a constant, it's a universal value in relationship to a stationary point if there's agreement on that context. The speed of light in one direction measured from the aspect of light directed in the opposite direction makes for an interesting discussion concerning the absolute relative speed vs the theoretical context.
Taking that into account, the speed of light is a constant that is constantly broken.

Now we know what Elon is thinking about when he smokes reefer.

Last edited by BigElCat; 05-01-2022 at 08:33 AM.
Old 05-01-2022, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pio1980 View Post
But the speed of light slows down in water.
Is The Speed of Light Everywhere the Same?

I'm not trying to be argumentative, rather, I'm using that "fact" as a great example of how often facts we all take for granted are not even real facts. I find I get in the most trouble in both leftist centric and right wing centric sites when I start skewering "facts" everyone there is taking for granted. I get in trouble regarding the Ukraine, whether I be in left or right wing sites because I'm much less reticent to take a side, for virtually all of us on those sites only know what we're being told, and that depends on the reliability and veracity of our sources.

Last edited by Not Insane; 05-01-2022 at 11:37 AM.
Old 05-01-2022, 11:53 AM
Jigsawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Insane View Post
But the speed of light slows down in water.
Is The Speed of Light Everywhere the Same?

. I get in trouble regarding the Ukraine, whether I be in left or right wing sites because I'm much less reticent to take a side, for virtually all of us on those sites only know what we're being told, and that depends on the reliability and veracity of our sources.
Sources re Ukraine are all suspect. You have to rely on common sense buttressed by a deep knowledge of the history of geopolitics.
Old 05-01-2022, 05:31 PM
Admin

Goat roper 'Mike Lindell' gets banned again after three hours.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/my...7503b84c57d71c
Old 05-01-2022, 05:39 PM
Admin

Anyone with a high school edumacation who actually paid attention knows that the 'speed of light' roughly 186k per second figure is measured in a vacuum. Not in your bathtub or anywhere near a black hole. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_of_light

That's some Tucker Swanson level 'parsing' crapola y'all are slingin'.

Last edited by bobabode; 05-01-2022 at 05:42 PM.
Old 05-01-2022, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post

That's some Tucker Swanson level 'parsing' crapola y'all are slingin'.
Hey, he's "just asking questions"...
Old 05-02-2022, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Goat roper 'Mike Lindell' gets banned again after three hours.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/my...7503b84c57d71c
There's always Truth Social isn't there?
Old 05-02-2022, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondilion View Post
Sources re Ukraine are all suspect. You have to rely on common sense buttressed by a deep knowledge of the history of geopolitics.
So true. Knowing the history actually can help you decipher some of what we are hearing and reading. That's one of the reasons I've not really taken a side on this one. BTW, I can tell you that I knew quite a few Russians and Ukranians when I lived in Seattle, and Ukranians HATED being mistaken for Russians.
Old 05-02-2022, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Anyone with a high school edumacation who actually paid attention knows that the 'speed of light' roughly 186k per second figure is measured in a vacuum. Not in your bathtub or anywhere near a black hole. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_of_light
I agree. But if it slows down when passing through water it means its speed is not constant. However, if someone says its speed is constant in a vacuum, I'd agree with that statement. Precision of language matters in affairs of science.