Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Economy
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-26-2012, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
Unfortunately, like most everyone else, my cash is pretty worthless, but the election being so close sort of puts another variable in the equation.

Speaking of American cash, I was looking to buy some back up EL37s for my Fisher AZ80s today on epay, and found 5 NOS ones in GB. They were 150 each in GBP, and 270 dollars American! When did that happen? I nearly fainted.
It's never not happened. The British pound has been worth more than the dollar ever since I can remember.

This is why GB fought so hard for the UE then backed out at the last moment thus making sure their did not fall in the the Euro and making sure the pound stayed the top currency in the world.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex E. View Post
It's never not happened. The British pound has been worth more than the dollar ever since I can remember.
Yup! And at one time the pound was worth around $4.00. I was buying a lot of stuff from England at the time. It hurt a lot.

John
Old 08-26-2012, 08:05 PM

Quote:

This is why GB fought so hard for the UE then backed out at the last moment thus making sure their did not fall in the the Euro and making sure the pound stayed the top currency in the world.
Well, that's not exactly true, the dollar has been worth more, just a very long time ago. What I'm talking about is the ratio. I remember a couple years ago something would be 75pounds, and maybe 85 dollars. This was 150 to 270! I'll probably still buy them, I'd like to hear them in my all Acro Allens, but I'll likely contact the seller first to see about a package deal. He has 5 tubes, in separate auctions, which makes sense for expensive tubes, but I'm hoping he will cut a yank a deal on all 5. I'm thinking 1k American plus shipping. They are amazing tubes, at least in my AZ80s. Everyone says, oh just run a 6L6GC, but the difference is night and day.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Well, that's not exactly true, the dollar has been worth more, just a very long time ago. What I'm talking about is the ratio. I remember a couple years ago something would be 75pounds, and maybe 85 dollars. This was 150 to 270! I'll probably still buy them, I'd like to hear them in my all Acro Allens, but I'll likely contact the seller first to see about a package deal. He has 5 tubes, in separate auctions, which makes sense for expensive tubes, but I'm hoping he will cut a yank a deal on all 5. I'm thinking 1k American plus shipping. They are amazing tubes, at least in my AZ80s. Everyone says, oh just run a 6L6GC, but the difference is night and day.
I said "Since I can remember". I'm only 40 so it's been before my lifetime most likely.

I'd like to buy some fancy tubes and would like to get my Allen's finished but Don't see it in the near future. The 225 has become the main tube amp. I need to finish the recap on it and find a back up quad of Westinghouse's for it.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Well, that's not exactly true, the dollar has been worth more, just a very long time ago.
Wrong again.

John
Old 08-27-2012, 07:35 AM

If I were in your shoes I would pay cash for the property. Being free of monthly payments would make you more flexible if the economy dips again. Also you would have the flexibility of selling the property or borrowing against it if you need a slug of cash.