Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-03-2012, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
If you watch this, watch the whole thing. The second half is an interview with Mike Lofgren, a life-long Republican and former Capitol Hill staffer and author of a new book titled "The Party is Over: How Republicans Went Crazy, Democrats Became Useless, and the Middle Class Got Shafted". It's definitely worth seeing.

John
That's an outstanding video. It certainly sums up how the Republican party left me.

An hour well spent.

Thanks.
Old 09-03-2012, 03:05 PM
Area Man

Damn you! Here I go, buying another book.

Love that piece on Reed. I seem to recall reading that true evil maquerades as piety and righteousness. That when the Anti-Christ comes, he will come posing as a man of God..........................

I'm just sayin'.

Dave
Old 09-03-2012, 04:36 PM

Watched it yesterday also. The story on Reed was a good prelude to the two documentaries last night on Current, one one the Koch Brothers and the other on Wal-Mart. Both of them should be shown to a wider market.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPeUrJF6AM8

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...A4B358&first=0

Barney
Old 09-03-2012, 06:14 PM
reflexionar

I remember thinking 30 years ago that we really needed a strong third party to emerge that was more moderate. I really thought it would have been here by now. I would guess that there are enough people disenchanted with the elephants and asses that it shouldn't be a big deal, but with the political structure set up as it is and being dominated by the big two I am not sure how another can come on strong. A lot of the people I talk to don't necessarily vote their party anyway. Most don't vote period because they don't see themselves as being able to make a difference, but the ones that do vote almost always feel they are not voting for a good candidate, just the lesser of two evils. There also seems to be an attitude of "if I can't join a party that has exactly what i want, why should I leave the one I am with now"? That just makes a strong third party almost impossible as no party is going to be perfect for every member. We will have to understand that the best we can do is hope that it will stand for MOST of what we believe in and actually care more about its people and country than narcissism and wielding power.
Old 09-03-2012, 06:44 PM
Loyal Opposition

I have wondered if a parliamentary style of government would be possible here. I would like to see more than one new party, but I just don't see how effective multiple parties would be under our current system. I would also like to see a much shorter election season, and I have finally warmed up to the idea of term limits. I would certainly like to see campaign finance reform. Without that, the possibility of viable third party is much more remote.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 09-03-2012, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
Legally he's right. Pretty fucked up, isn't it?

John
Not really, when you consider that Boing is a multinational company, with customers all over the globe.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:15 PM

I disagree with Repubs on:

Abortion - that battle will be won in folks hearts and minds, not in the halls of gov't.

Healthcare - the current system doesn't need an overhaul. It needs to be dismantled. I do believe there is room for a uniquely American solution if we abandon the concept that insurance is the right vehicle to assress everyone's healthcare needs and wants. And no, the answer is not socialization of medical care delivery.

Military force projection - this one is contingent on developing a coherent energy policy that leverages every possible domestic energy source. However, it's time to bring the troops home, and close the military bases that we are not obligated to support by treaty. Europe and Japan can fend for themselves if we conduct an orderly, phased withdrawal. Let China moderate the mess in the Middle East if they want that oil so badly.

There's probably more, but those are the biggies.

Also, a pox on both their houses regarding campaign financing. We can't rely on politicians to eradicate a system that enriches them and allows them to feather their political nests. Campaign finance reform will take no less then a bi-partisan grass roots effort.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
Not really, when you consider that Boing is a multinational company, with customers all over the globe.
Whell fades back! He disagrees! He deflects! Ohhhh, incomplete.

No surprise there.

It has nothing to do with Boeing specifically or multinationals generally - even ones incorporated right here the good ol' U S of A. That legally binding fiduciary responsibility of CEOs applies to any public company.

John
Old 09-03-2012, 07:36 PM

Anyone see the skit on Jon Stewart show Friday? Go to around 12m30s and see there take on how to handle failing states.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/full-epi...ugust-31-2012-

I don't know why but the tread and where it is going made me think of this.

Barney
Old 09-03-2012, 07:50 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
But, with that comment, I would have told him that until he retracts and apologizes his company is no longer trustworthy in regards to national security and started cutting cut their government contracts. I don't care that they do business with other countries that's fine. But openly stating a lack of loyalty to this country would have been the end of the work they do for the United States.

Pretty sure he would get all patriotic in a big hurry.

Dave