Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Economy
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-24-2012, 05:36 AM
Area Man

Where are we headed?

Interesting article that hits close to home for me and prolly a few others here.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/23/opinio...rticle_sidebar

From what I've seen in my lifetime the ones hit the hardest, who end up "...in the margins of society..." are the older workers. Circa 50 years old, already working 12 hours a day and still raising a family....Who has the time or the energy to retrain for a totally different career course? So, they just keep going for as long as they can. Then the layoff comes. They possess skills not quite suited for the next employment wave and by the time they obtain the necessary education, it's too late anyways.....employers want younger, more energetic people.

Sound familiar? I've seen it I dunno how many times.

Speaking for myself, I went back to school twenty years ago. Worked full time and studied full time and it nearly killed me then....The mere thought of it nearly kills me now.

Anyhow, the big question here is; What's next?

We were told thirty years ago that heavy industry was passe' and that "Hi Tech" was the way to go. Well, the high tech bubble came and went. The "service industry" has been a disappointment to many as far as quality of employment goes. Now, even light, almost entirely non-union manufacturing is on shaky ground. The housing and construction bubble has come and gone...........................It would seem our house is built entirely on sand.

Tell me;

Where is the New Horizon? Where is the rising tide and just as important---will it lift all boats? I've got news for ya......We can't all work in the medical industry and not everyone is suited for running their own business.

So, what's Joe Sixpack to do?

Dave
Old 07-24-2012, 09:20 AM
Admin

The message that we get is that we old ph*cks have a duty to die off and make room for the next generation. Yeah, my wife and I fit that demographic. I'm 55 and she's a few years older.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:38 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
From what I've seen in my lifetime the ones hit the hardest, who end up "...in the margins of society..." are the older workers. Circa 50 years old, already working 12 hours a day and still raising a family....Who has the time or the energy to retrain for a totally different career course? So, they just keep going for as long as they can. Then the layoff comes. They possess skills not quite suited for the next employment wave and by the time they obtain the necessary education, it's too late anyways.....employers want younger, Cheaper, more energetic people.

Sound familiar? I've seen it I dunno how many times.

Dave
Fixed it for you, as for Joe he has a duty to roll over and die.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:40 PM
Area Man

Hey, Pat! Book recommendation here;

Just ordered another book, "Someplace Like America" by Dale Maharidge, and I can't wait until it arrives. It is a follow up to "Journey to Nowhere", a book he wrote in 1985. Great stuff. I think Finn, in particular, would find these works interesting. Sort of along the lines of "Deer Hunting with Jesus". Although others might enjoy them as well.

Actually, I recommend all three books to anyone who can handle reality.
(In other words; If you still think Reagans "Trickle Down" has been a great boom to Americas economic future and don't want to have your bubble burst, these are NOT the books for you.)

Dave