Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Economy
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-04-2010, 08:22 PM
Area Man

Didn't spoil anything, Chas. It's true, everyone has a partisan ax to grind.

I will say this though;
They (Reps) are very definately showing their asses.

Regards,
Dave
Old 04-04-2010, 09:26 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
And here I come to spoil it all.

I didn't see McCain's concession speech to be an act of patriotism as much as an act of political expediency. Basically, he told his party to behave as adults and don't show your asses. He certainly didn't say not to begin to sharpen the long knives in preparation for 2010.

This is politics, everyone loses an election from time to time. And the Democrats are no more capable of rising above political partisanship than the Republicans.

Chas
I can't blame you for being cynical about any political speech. Now if you say anything cynical about opening day, you will become the subject of extreme wrath.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 04-04-2010, 11:28 PM

The political stuff that goes w/the steel industry is, IMHO, somewhat of a sideshow. A BIG reason the steel industry isn't doing to well is that Detroit simply doesn't buy anywhere nearly as much as they once did-and HASN'T for years. Even when times were good. For one thing cars are significantly smaller & lighter than they were in, say, 1960 or thereabouts. But its not just that-Car companies have found other materials-Plastics, fiberglass, aluminum-that work just as well, or even better than steel does. Another thing is that lighter, more high-tensile stronger steels have been developed, & that cuts down on aggregate totals. An additional thing is a dirty little secret that virtually ALL industry shares-All those mighty "Productivity" gains that were so ballyhooed back 20-25 yrs ago & American Industry's salvation-We now work harder & smarter, & companies have figured out that they can often just use one worker instead of 2 or 3. What do you think "Productivity" really is, after all ?!? Big Steel was also slow to, or simply unable to, adapt to new processes & technologies, & invest in newer equipment that could have kept them viable. No, "Those jobs AREN'T coming back" prolly is correct-but not exactly for the reasons most people think...
Old 04-05-2010, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
I can't blame you for being cynical about any political speech. Now if you say anything cynical about opening day, you will become the subject of extreme wrath.

Regards,

D-Ray
Openin' day of WHUT? Trouts season, Beer season, or th' new Mennards?

Chas
Old 04-05-2010, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
The political stuff that goes w/the steel industry is, IMHO, somewhat of a sideshow. A BIG reason the steel industry isn't doing to well is that Detroit simply doesn't buy anywhere nearly as much as they once did-and HASN'T for years. Even when times were good. For one thing cars are significantly smaller & lighter than they were in, say, 1960 or thereabouts. But its not just that-Car companies have found other materials-Plastics, fiberglass, aluminum-that work just as well, or even better than steel does. Another thing is that lighter, more high-tensile stronger steels have been developed, & that cuts down on aggregate totals. An additional thing is a dirty little secret that virtually ALL industry shares-All those mighty "Productivity" gains that were so ballyhooed back 20-25 yrs ago & American Industry's salvation-We now work harder & smarter, & companies have figured out that they can often just use one worker instead of 2 or 3. What do you think "Productivity" really is, after all ?!? Big Steel was also slow to, or simply unable to, adapt to new processes & technologies, & invest in newer equipment that could have kept them viable. No, "Those jobs AREN'T coming back" prolly is correct-but not exactly for the reasons most people think...
Don't forget robotics, probably the main reason one worker can produce as much as three in past days. The Industrial Revolution is being transformed before our very eyes.

Chas
Old 04-05-2010, 08:09 AM

Yep, robots don't hafta be paid, don't want time off, don't backtalk you, won't sue you if you pat one of 'em on the ass, don't get sick-as long as proper maintenance is done, etc, etc, etc....
Old 04-05-2010, 08:59 AM
Area Man

You guys.......................

This particular plant is a TUBE MILL. Mostly Drill Tube for the oil and gas industries to be exact. And, yes, you are right, this place is supposed to eventually employ about 600 people. A tube mill of this size thirty years ago would have easily employed 1,000 to 1,100. This is a thoroughly modernized mill, that's why the initial cost is so high.

600 is better than zero. It's good news, people going back to work, jobs being created.

Why can't you just accept that?

Regards,
Dave
Old 04-05-2010, 10:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
No, to my mind it is a form of investment in our own industries. Regards,
Dave
You really would be much happier in China...You are such a whack job!
Old 04-05-2010, 11:41 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by djv8ga View Post
Another incisive analysis. How can we be so fortunate to observe such genius?

Regards,

D-ray
Old 04-05-2010, 11:52 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by djv8ga View Post

Off your meds again?
So, I take it they allow you computer access one day a week?
Do you have to trade it for your hour in the exercize yard?