Go Back   Political Forums > Economy
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-20-2011, 06:10 PM
Area Man

Red State reality.

Just thought you might like to know.

Tonight, I stopped at Golden Corral for dinner after a trip to visit friends in Newport News.

The price of my meal was $11.98. The "Prepared Meal Tax" that our Republican run state government has foisted upon us was $1.89. What's that, about 16% tip that goes to the GOP for every meal served? The property tax on my car alone is 4% of assessed value, or about $1,120 for the year, or paid bi-annually about $560 due next month, then approximately another $560 six months later. And then of course we have the yearly registration fee, tags, mandatory safety inspections, etc. etc..................................

Oh, and the High School still has not been expanded after a levy to do so has been passed twice in the last twenty years. The kids are still attending class in those beat up old trailers. But, Governor McDonnell (R) has all the right in the world to crow about the $55,000,000 he approved for offshore wind turbines. (Are you catching on to the irony yet? Next thing we know, he leave his wife, marry a dude and then vote against gay marriage, "Because it's immoral.")

Yeah. If you want lower taxes and responsible spending, vote Republican. The biggest friggin' lie in the world.

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 02-20-2011 at 06:23 PM.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:33 PM
Loyal Opposition

I think you and your neighbors are paying a tax designed to skim some of the lobbying money from restaurants in Northern Virginia. I'll bet hotel rooms get taxed at a premium too. That's a lot higher personal property tax than we pay in my red state, but I doubt that my Astra is appraised for anything close to the Blue Streak. Just out of curiosity what is the top marginal rate in your state income tax? It's 6.25% in KS and 6% in MO.

Regards,

DE-Ray
Old 02-20-2011, 07:47 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

I think VA's marginal rate is 5.75% and Maryland is 6% (but with approx. 2% county tax on top of that).

VA has had a long sordid history with its silly personal property (car) tax. Jim Gilmore won the gubernatorial election in 1998 on a promise to phase it out. He kinda sorta did it, but it's gone full circle in a weird way due to decreased revenues (duh). A true clusterf*ck.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:16 PM

Tax on tax. The fuckin' you get for the fuckin' you got.

The two parties are joined at the hip, or as Rob points out, the two wings of the same bird.

Ask me why I'm jaded.

Chas
Old 02-20-2011, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Just thought you might like to know.

Tonight, I stopped at Golden Corral for dinner after a trip to visit friends in Newport News.

The price of my meal was $11.98. The "Prepared Meal Tax" that our Republican run state government has foisted upon us was $1.89. What's that, about 16% tip that goes to the GOP for every meal served? The property tax on my car alone is 4% of assessed value, or about $1,120 for the year, or paid bi-annually about $560 due next month, then approximately another $560 six months later. And then of course we have the yearly registration fee, tags, mandatory safety inspections, etc. etc..................................

Oh, and the High School still has not been expanded after a levy to do so has been passed twice in the last twenty years. The kids are still attending class in those beat up old trailers. But, Governor McDonnell (R) has all the right in the world to crow about the $55,000,000 he approved for offshore wind turbines. (Are you catching on to the irony yet? Next thing we know, he leave his wife, marry a dude and then vote against gay marriage, "Because it's immoral.")

Yeah. If you want lower taxes and responsible spending, vote Republican. The biggest friggin' lie in the world.

Dave
I've bought vehicles for less than $1,120 and drove them for ten years.

A lot to be said for driving clunkers.

Chas
Old 02-20-2011, 10:43 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
I think VA's marginal rate is 5.75% and Maryland is 6% (but with approx. 2% county tax on top of that).

VA has had a long sordid history with its silly personal property (car) tax. Jim Gilmore won the gubernatorial election in 1998 on a promise to phase it out. He kinda sorta did it, but it's gone full circle in a weird way due to decreased revenues (duh). A true clusterf*ck.
All true.

Dave
Old 02-20-2011, 10:46 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I've bought vehicles for less than $1,120 and drove them for ten years.

A lot to be said for driving clunkers.

Chas
I know. My Dakota is a beater. I bought it new, but it's been paid off for 10 years. It has 180,000 on it, and still runs strong.

But, the Mighty BlueStreak turns heads and kicks ass...................

Dave
Old 02-20-2011, 10:49 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
I think you and your neighbors are paying a tax designed to skim some of the lobbying money from restaurants in Northern Virginia. I'll bet hotel rooms get taxed at a premium too. That's a lot higher personal property tax than we pay in my red state, but I doubt that my Astra is appraised for anything close to the Blue Streak. Just out of curiosity what is the top marginal rate in your state income tax? It's 6.25% in KS and 6% in MO.

Regards,

DE-Ray
Actually, they claim it's a tax designed to skim tourists. But, tourist season pretty much dries up between October and April. We still pay the tax though.

Dave
Old 02-21-2011, 12:02 AM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post

I forgot that I also pay a 1% tribute for the privilege of working in Kansas City, MO.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 02-21-2011, 01:08 AM

The only tax we pay on a car is the day we buy it, after that you never pay another penny of tax no matter how many years you have the car. Here, it costs us a grand total of 24.00 a year for yearly renew sticker to place in the corner of our license plate .. that is it, it costs not a penny more. No state tax and though my dads land taxes are higher than mine, he still only pays 600.00 a year property tax for 262 acres with a huge 5 year old five bedroom house with a barn and also a fairly new built shop large enough to park six Cat D-9's in ... and maybe a 6x6 articulated dumptruck or two. Can't say all red states fuck people. While it's true it does cost just over 9% sales tax to buy from a store, if you raise your own hogs and beef for killing and grow a garden .. theres no need to pay sales tax buying it from a store. Same with buying a car, I know a few folks that when buying one from someone they'll talk a few minutes, exchange ''cash-money'' for titles and write down on the bill of sale that they traded the car for a horse ( and horses don't require papers or to be registered or value proved ) and in TN horses are still on the books as a legal form of transportation ... no tax on even trades, lol, lol, lol. Hell yeah .. yee-haw!! But our internet service does suck.

Last edited by hillbilly; 02-21-2011 at 01:24 AM.