Go Back   Political Forums > Economy
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-18-2012, 03:48 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
I never did understand what anyone saw in the '80s. To me it was a shit decade. My time in the Navy was good, but everything else about it sucked. I went home to Ohio in '86, only to discover the place looked like a bomb hit it. Everything shutting down and falling apart. So, I moved down here to Virginia to find it only marginally better. IIRC, unemployment at that time was still hovering around 7-8%. Worked a string of crappy, low wage jobs. Didn't start making any decent money until about '93-'94.

But, to listen to people refer to the '80s now, you'd think we had money raining from the skies.

Heck if I know what they're talking about.....

Dave
The 80's

That's when the economy went to hell. I know it recovered later in Ray-guns reign but the working stiff never recouped what he had had prior.

It was the true begining of the "great seperation" between the worker and the rich.
Old 02-18-2012, 04:26 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonereal View Post
The 80's

That's when the economy went to hell. I know it recovered later in Ray-guns reign but the working stiff never recouped what he had had prior.

It was the true begining of the "great seperation" between the worker and the rich.
I was single, living in Germany, and driving a Porsche. The 80's were great.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
86-90 was high school for me

To draw a correlation to Fin on a high school scale....

I was single, living in a very German community in east central MO., and driving a Audi...The 80's were great
Old 02-18-2012, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
You know what Finn, you truly ARE on of them folks who could fall in a barrel of shit and come up with an apple in your mouth.

More power to ya,

Chas
Old 02-18-2012, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex E. View Post

I was single, living in a very German community in east central MO., and driving a Audi...The 80's were great
Damn pup, I was a contract framer who had worked in Denver, the Rio Grande Valley, Houston, Tulsa, and Central Missouri before you were born.

I'm starting to feel old.

Chas
Old 02-19-2012, 12:51 AM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex E. View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Damn pup, I was a contract framer who had worked in Denver, the Rio Grande Valley, Houston, Tulsa, and Central Missouri before you were born.

I'm starting to feel old.

Chas
70-74 was HIGH skool for me, turnin' 55 at the stroke of midnight, tonite. I'm starting to feel a chill in my bones. Piece work shingler right out of high school. I was just happy to have missed 'Nam by a couple, three years. Got trashed knees and a recently trashed shoulder but I can still drop a 16d in a couple wacks(just not all day) I'm probably 3/4 Kraut and always drove a pickup and the '80s ate shit. IMO
Ramblin' on,here. Good night fellas.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
70-74 was HIGH skool for me, turnin' 55 at the stroke of midnight, tonite. I'm starting to feel a chill in my bones. Piece work shingler right out of high school. I was just happy to have missed 'Nam by a couple, three years. Got trashed knees and a recently trashed shoulder but I can still drop a 16d in a couple wacks(just not all day) I'm probably 3/4 Kraut and always drove a pickup and the '80s ate shit. IMO
Ramblin' on,here. Good night fellas.
Never used a rigging axe?

I was under the assumption that you're a California Boy.

I may be a Missouri boy, but I learned the trade in Colorado from a bunch of California rig axe framers. And I still use a 28oz Vaughan rig builder, but I'm so old, decrepit, and blind that it's rare that I drive a 16D in one swing.

Basically, I use the hatchet end to pick up 2x12's without having to bend over as much. I even gave up walking top plates backwards doing layout at least 10 yrs ago.

But I can still flip the old Vaughan out of my pouches and let it spin in the air a couple of times before I catch it...behind my back. Just can't kill flies with it anymore.

I reckon we're members of some kind of abusive fraternity.

Chas
Old 02-19-2012, 07:11 AM
Resident octogenarian

Met Florence in 83, married in 83 so despite all the other crap the 80s were good.

Happy Birthday Bob.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonereal View Post
The 80's

That's when the economy went to hell.
Right. You, and the article, must have forgotten the entrenched Recession that started in the mid 1970's and continued unabated until the early 1980's. Remember the misery index (which Jimmy Carter used to give Gerald Ford heartburn in the 1976 election, and then Reagan used it against Carter in 1980)?

Carter was unable to overcome his own economic policies - or lack thereof - and lost after a single term to Reagan. It then took Reagan's polices about 2.5 years to start taking hold.

By comparison, Obama's misery index is still peaking:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/1...n_1020765.html

The recession was a bit more than 1 year old when Obama tool office, compared to a recession over a 1/2 decade long when Reagan tool office. 3.5 years after Obama took office, unemployment is still high, the economy is barely growing, and the government - per Obama's latest budget - is intent on sucking more capital out of the economy.

You can post whatever goofy articles you like that make meaningless comparisons of two presidents from two different eras who faced entirely different economic circumstances: Reagan's arguably being far worse. The facts/results of where we are today speak for themselves. To borrow from Jimmy Carter: "No man responsible for giving a country a misery index this high has a right to even ask to be President."

Last edited by whell; 02-19-2012 at 08:22 AM.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:25 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
Right. You, and the article, must have forgotten the entrenched Recession that started in the mid 1970's and continued unabated until the early 1980's. Remember the misery index (which Jimmy Carter used to give Gerald Ford heartburn in the 1976 election, and then Reagan used it against Carter in 1980)?

Carter was unable to overcome his own economic policies - or lack thereof - and lost after a single term to Reagan. It then took Reagan's polices about 2.5 years to start taking hold.

By comparison, Obama's misery index is still peaking:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/1...n_1020765.html

The recession was a bit more than 1 year old when Obama tool office, compared to a recession over a 1/2 decade long when Reagan tool office. 3.5 years after Obama took office, unemployment is still high, the economy is barely growing, and the government - per Obama's latest budget - is intent on sucking more capital out of the economy.

You can post whatever goofy articles you like that make meaningless comparisons of two presidents from two different eras who faced entirely different economic circumstances: Reagan's arguably being far worse. The facts/results of where we are today speak for themselves. To borrow from Jimmy Carter: "No man responsible for giving a country a misery index this high has a right to even ask to be President."
Were you dropped on your head as a kid?

"two presidents from two different eras who faced entirely different economic circumstances: Reagan's arguably being far worse."

Reagan's policies did NOTHING to help the economy, we were lucky that the rebound was strong enough to withstand hios assult on it. Also what you do not mention is that he economy was changed by Ray-gun. The middle class was put on a death spiral.

In fact during the recession of the early 90's the wealthy were ntouched do to the policies of Ray-gun while the middle class again suffered.