Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-01-2012, 01:58 AM
Sir Lord Vader of Cheam

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
The old OU basketball coach, Billy Tubbs, lived to rag on the Big East.
Billy Tubbs in 1989.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:47 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Ach, I don't have sound!

Perhaps industrial Ohio is making something of a comeback? Mittal Steel (darn Germans! ) in Cleveland's old industrial flats looks busy too. Can't drive in there anymore to find out for sure

Why are the foreign companies able to do this, and we can't? At least the production is here though.

Maybe there really is light at the end of the tunnel. Goodness knows Youngstown needs some good news, I didn't realise how bad it was there till I drove through last year. And props to Ryan for his hard work.

Pete
Last year? Oh, then what you saw was an improvement from the worst.....

Ya shoulda seen the old girl in the '80s, Pete. They had signs along the 680 bypass warning motorists to stay in their vehicles, with doors locked and wait for police assistance, if they had a breakdown.

"Welcome to Youngstown! Whatever you do, don't stop or leave your vehicle for any reason. Have a Nice Day!"---was the joke, back then.

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 08-01-2012 at 08:49 AM.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:58 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Ach, I don't have sound!

Perhaps industrial Ohio is making something of a comeback? Mittal Steel (darn Germans! ) in Cleveland's old industrial flats looks busy too. Can't drive in there anymore to find out for sure

Why are the foreign companies able to do this, and we can't? At least the production is here though.

Let's see, the workers are from here, management is from Germany, Evidence suggests that corporate management here sucks.

Maybe there really is light at the end of the tunnel. Goodness knows Youngstown needs some good news, I didn't realise how bad it was there till I drove through last year. And props to Ryan for his hard work.

Pete
You think?
Old 08-01-2012, 11:31 PM
Area Man

"Let's see, the workers are from here, management is from Germany, Evidence suggests that corporate management here sucks."

A point I've been trying to make for several years, but it's a point all of the Reagan era Gordon Gekko-ites refuse to hear.

All I can say is that when you have a bunch of self absorbed punks running things whose ONLY concern is how much they can squeeze from a business for their own personal gain---What do you expect? Piracy, that's what. They come aboard steall all of the gold and scuttle the ship on their way out.

And, this is supposed to build a stronger industrial base-----HOW?

Dave
Old 08-02-2012, 07:52 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Alright, logical conclusion: why did the government bailout GM then? Corporate welfare?

Pete
Old 08-02-2012, 10:53 AM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
Ya gotta love Billy. OU hired him when they couldn't get John Thompson to leave Georgetown. When asked about it at the press conference, Tubbs said that he was used to it, because he was his wife's second choice too.

They also asked him if the team he inherited could expect to do any better than 7-7 in the league that season (Back when there was still a Big 8). He said that he expected them to go 14-0. Otherwise, the players would have a hard time figuring out which 7 to win and which 7 to lose.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 08-08-2012, 04:22 PM

Germany has a great corporate structure. Larger German corporations (AG/GmbH) have a supervisory board that appoints a management board. The management board makes all the final decisions. This takes a lot of power away from upper management.

The management board consists of half management and half workers. This creates a climate of cooperation between management and workers instead of an adversarial relationship between management and workers like we have in the US.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:30 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Alright, logical conclusion: why did the government bailout GM then? Corporate welfare?

Pete
If the conclusion is logical GM's problems were not caused by the workers so why should they suffer? The workers at the Big 3 are still employed, still paying taxes and not drawing unemployment. Even your boy Kasich admits that while it did not create jobs in Ohio it saved thousands of jobs there.

To be honest Waggoner was trying to turn GM around and we have two cars that prove it. Twelve years old an running like a charm and those Chevy Impalas were designed on his watch, I guess they just needed a scapegoat.

Everybody is an expert on what shoulda coulda been done. The former TARP guy has come out with a book saying the government should have redone everybody's underwater mortgages. Small problem, there was no legal way they could have.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:07 AM
Sir Lord Vader of Cheam

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke
And, if you don't generate jobs, folks will just be unable to pay their new, adjusted, mortgages.

Trust me.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:31 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
And, if you don't generate jobs, folks will just be unable to pay their new, adjusted, mortgages.

Trust me.
Zeke I watch the National Business Report on PBS and I am truly curious about business. They keep reporting that, with a very few exceptions, businesses are beating the targets set by the Street. Profits are up so somebody must be buying their product. Yet the argument for not hiring is that no one is buying. Seems to me there is a real bundle of horse manure out there somewhere.