Go Back   Political Forums > Economy
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-07-2010, 05:21 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
This may be the most disturbing things I've read here. That anyone could wax nostalgic about how "wars just ain't what they used to be" is really..... um..... over the edge. If you're trying to be funny, you failed. If you're on the level you've got some serious issues.

Oh, and your "economic cycle"? Pure horseshit. World War II? Yup. Any other wars? Not so much.
and what was it that caused the economy to come roaring back during WW II?

Government spending?
Old 03-07-2010, 07:20 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonereal View Post

Government spending?
+1.

Reagan did it. Won the war and created all of that industry single handedly by making everyone proud to be Americans.

Dave
Old 03-07-2010, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonereal

Government spending?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
+1.

Reagan did it. Won the war and created all of that industry single handedly by making everyone proud to be Americans.

Dave
Actually, it's a right wing myth that war spending pulled us out of the Depression. They don't want to admit that it was the policies of the FDR Administration that did it. Government spending absolutely did, on things like the NRA and the WPA, but we were pretty damn near out of the woods by the time of Pearl Harbor.

John
Old 03-07-2010, 07:31 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Actually, it's a right wing myth that war spending pulled us out of the Depression. They don't want to admit that it was the policies of the FDR Administration that did it.
That was my point, being an economics major and all.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:50 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Actually, it's a right wing myth that war spending pulled us out of the Depression. They don't want to admit that it was the policies of the FDR Administration that did it. Government spending absolutely did, on things like the NRA and the WPA, but we were pretty damn near out of the woods by the time of Pearl Harbor.

John

That's how my Pops recalled it. He worked in the CCC during the latter stages of the depression. Said it was the best experience of his working life. Taught him a work ethic that carried him for the rest of his career. And my Brothers and I can atest to the fact that he was a slave driver...................

Dave
Old 03-07-2010, 08:56 PM
Area Man

Really, though. Isn't fighting a war an example of massive government spending? I always thought it was different for subsequent wars because the millitary machine was already in place for Korea, Vietnam, and the current conflict. Whereas in WW2 we started with a small millitary and had to rapidly build it up?

Dave
Old 03-08-2010, 07:25 AM
Resident octogenarian

It is accepted that the reason the allies won WW II was that we simply out spent the axis powers. Victory usually goes to the guy with the deepest pockets.
Old 03-08-2010, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
It is accepted that the reason the allies won WW II was that we simply out spent the axis powers. Victory usually goes to the guy with the deepest pockets.
Much to the delight of BIS.

Chas
Old 03-08-2010, 06:18 PM

Quote:
This may be the most disturbing things I've read here. That anyone could wax nostalgic about how "wars just ain't what they used to be" is really..... um..... over the edge. If you're trying to be funny, you failed. If you're on the level you've got some serious issues.

Oh, and your "economic cycle"? Pure horseshit. World War II? Yup. Any other wars? Not so much.
Not trying to be funny, just talking about the economy historically. If we don't talk about war, does it go away, like it never happened?
Old 03-09-2010, 08:54 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Quote:

John
Support please. What I've read is that, although there was a short-lasted spike in 37, there was no 'full steam ahead' until we started supplying and eventually joined the Allies.

Pete