Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-07-2016, 08:20 AM
Persona non grata

Republicans Have Rejected the Republican Party

The working class has finally figured out who has had them bent over the table for the past 40 years.

http://www.truth-out.org/opinion/ite...publican-party

Quote:
Ever since Nixon initiated the Southern strategy, Republicans have tricked millions of (mostly white) Americans into voting for them by giving lip service to old-timey racism and anti-immigrant xenophobia. The purpose of this all this pandering, of course, was to rally the masses around the real goal of the Republican elites, which is to push through economic policies that help out the billionaires and corporations that fund the Republican Party. This strategy worked best when it conflated economics with race.
Quote:
At some point, the Republican base was going to realize that the Republican elites didn't actually give a damn about them. At some time, the scared and bigoted white people who vote Republican were going to realize that the people they were voting into office only cared about the billionaires and big corporations who wrote their campaign checks. At some point, the mask was going to fall off and the base was going to revolt against the elites.

Well, "some point" is now, and with Donald Trump's clinching of the nomination, the base has finally had its revenge on the Republican elite.

Last edited by Tom Joad; 05-07-2016 at 08:22 AM.
Old 05-07-2016, 10:26 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

So, you're getting on board with the "scared, bigoted white people?" Congratulations.
Old 05-08-2016, 10:16 AM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
So, you're getting on board with the "scared, bigoted white people?" Congratulations.
I'm where I've always been.

With the working stiffs of this country, you Heel Rocking, Change Jingling, Pinstripe Suited Elitist.

Last edited by Tom Joad; 05-08-2016 at 10:25 AM.
Old 05-08-2016, 11:40 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Joad View Post
I'm where I've always been.

With the working stiffs of this country, you Heel Rocking, Change Jingling, Pinstripe Suited Elitist.
Depending on how you define elitists or rednecks, I could be either. I have multiple degrees and a nice investment account, but I own a locker full of guns and spend a lot of time up a tree bowhunting and I butcher my own deer. I spend more time in the woods hunting, hiking and mountain-bike riding than pretty much anyone I know.

FWIW, I only wear suits to weddings and funerals. For that matter, in a 38 year career, I only wore a tie a few times a year. I guess that's one of the benefits of being an engineer.

Last edited by finnbow; 05-08-2016 at 11:42 AM.
Old 05-08-2016, 11:43 AM

Tom puts all people who don't agree with him into some sort of basket with a label.
Old 05-08-2016, 12:11 PM
reflexionar

Quote:
Well, "some point" is now..."
Too bad its too late.
Old 05-08-2016, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Depending on how you define elitists or rednecks, I could be either. I have multiple degrees and a nice investment account, but I own a locker full of guns and spend a lot of time up a tree bowhunting and I butcher my own deer. I spend more time in the woods hunting, hiking and mountain-bike riding than pretty much anyone I know.

FWIW, I only wear suits to weddings and funerals. For that matter, in a 38 year career, I only wore a tie a few times a year. I guess that's one of the benefits of being an engineer.
But you never went anywhere without your pocket protector.
Old 05-08-2016, 12:59 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
But you never went anywhere without your pocket protector.
I once went to a meeting at the National Society of Professional Engineers and part of the swag at each spot at the conference table was a vinyl pocket protector with "Real Engineers Have Clean Pockets" on it. I still have it.
Old 05-08-2016, 01:07 PM

Quote:
I once went to a meeting at the National Society of Professional Engineers and part of the swag at each spot at the conference table was a vinyl pocket protector with "Real Engineers Have Clean Pockets" on it. I still have it.
Told ya!
Old 05-08-2016, 02:55 PM
Persona non grata

Quote:

Sorry, that won't work.

You gave yourself away with your Avatar.