Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-22-2011, 04:36 AM

Most depressing month of the year? 'tis passing strange.

Over here it's January, with last Wednesday (or maybe the Wednesday before) that's slated as the most depressing day. I suppose it makes sense, the let-down after Christmas and New Year coupled with the fact that in the UK, tax returns have to be in by the end of January. Is it the same in the wide wide world? And why is the full moon linked with insanity?
Old 01-22-2011, 06:43 AM
Loyal Opposition

Don't forget the generally gray skies, barren trees, cold weather keeping us indoors, and the lack of vitamin D.

Our taxes are not due until April 15, but because we expect a refund, I am doing ours this weekend.

I don't know about the full moon and insanity. I do notice that I have to shave several times a day and my teeth get sharper when over the full moon is out. I seem to really like my meat extra rare then too.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 01-22-2011, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post

I don't know about the full moon and insanity. I do notice that I have to shave several times a day and my teeth get sharper when over the full moon is out. I seem to really like my meat extra rare then too.

Regards,

D-Ray
There's a lot to be said for 3000 miles betwixt thee and me.

As to the moon, as it waxes and wanes does its distance from earth vary? Just as tides are influenced by the moon, maybe on a much smaller scale fluid in our brains is as well. Maybe a trip-wire effect; if you're unstable a little push is all it takes, if you're stable that little push might make you more irritable, but nothing more than that.

I'm convinced we are influenced by electric fields. Just before a thunderstorm while things are charging up, people and other animals get on edge, act all nervy and skittish. I've been close enough to a lightening strike ( flash and bang being as close to simultaneous as makes no difference) to remember feeling really freaked out just before it. You know you're close when you don't hear any echoes, or rolling thunder shaking the rooftops, you just hear a fucking great bang.

Last edited by Combwork; 01-22-2011 at 07:26 AM.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:35 AM
Resident octogenarian

The moon's orbit around the earth is nearly circular which is strange because what we call a harvest moon sure looks bigger.

Around these parts February is considered the most depressing month. It is also the only month that does not have a legal holiday, Valentine's day is not considered a national holiday.

Last edited by merrylander; 01-22-2011 at 11:42 AM.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
Don't forget the generally gray skies, barren trees, cold weather keeping us indoors, and the lack of vitamin D.

Our taxes are not due until April 15, but because we expect a refund, I am doing ours this weekend.

Regards,

D-Ray
Lucky dog.

My corporates are due Mar 15, which means I need to have them done by Feb 15 so my accountant has time to process them. Can't do my personals until the corporates are done.

Also found out that the timeframe has expired on my annual donation. There goes a $700 tax credit.

Boo and hiss!!!

Chas
Old 01-22-2011, 09:10 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combwork View Post
There's a lot to be said for 3000 miles betwixt thee and me.

As to the moon, as it waxes and wanes does its distance from earth vary? Just as tides are influenced by the moon, maybe on a much smaller scale fluid in our brains is as well. Maybe a trip-wire effect; if you're unstable a little push is all it takes, if you're stable that little push might make you more irritable, but nothing more than that.

I'm convinced we are influenced by electric fields. Just before a thunderstorm while things are charging up, people and other animals get on edge, act all nervy and skittish. I've been close enough to a lightening strike ( flash and bang being as close to simultaneous as makes no difference) to remember feeling really freaked out just before it. You know you're close when you don't hear any echoes, or rolling thunder shaking the rooftops, you just hear a fucking great bang.
Yes, it does. And I believe so. That's right and also true. We are, they do and so have I. It blew apart an apple tree, just outside my bedroom window, when I was 12. You also feel the static charge rise in the air, just before the boom.

I'll be doing my taxes tomorrow. I should be getting a return, but it won't be much. Whatever, I no longer care.

Dave
Old 01-22-2011, 10:47 AM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
I'll be doing my taxes tomorrow. I should be getting a return, but it won't be much. Whatever, I no longer care.

Dave
The government gets your return. You get the refund. Ain't I a picky bastard.

With two boys still in college, we get a very helpful tax credit - enough to pay their rent for the rest of the school year.

BTW, as far as antidotes for mood, I just switched carts from the Empire 2000 to the Shure 95ED, and put on The Royal Scam. The Shure gives me a lot better idea of how much Bass my Infinities will reproduce. When I get around to pulling the V15 off of the Dual headshell, that will get to ride the grooves for awhile. The wife has gone shopping, so I can play it at an unreasonable volume.

Regards,

D-Ray

Last edited by d-ray657; 01-22-2011 at 10:50 AM.
Old 01-22-2011, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Yes, it does. And I believe so. That's right and also true. We are, they do and so have I. It blew apart an apple tree, just outside my bedroom window, when I was 12. You also feel the static charge rise in the air, just before the boom.

Dave

Wibble?
Old 01-22-2011, 02:41 PM
Resident octogenarian

Still waiting on some interest forms then bundle it all up and mail it to our tax accountant.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Still waiting on some interest forms then bundle it all up and mail it to our tax accountant.
Once again, the wise old bird reveals his feathers.

Much as the man who defends himself in court has a fool for a client, the man who prepares his own taxes has a cretin for an accountant.

Particularly when applied to me.

Chas