Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-13-2013, 10:39 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
What sucks the most is that they interrupted the 8th and 9th innings of the Nationals game to show the Zimmerman verdict. I'm indifferent about the verdict.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
"Heidi" redux?

While I'm not much of a fan of watching grown men standing around in their pajamas chewing tobacco, I can appreciate your disgust.

Chas
I don't understand how either of you can be so damned apathetic. There are concerns surrounding this trial far beyond Trayvon Martin and George Zimmerman. And no, I'm not talking about race.

Dave
Old 07-13-2013, 10:45 PM
Area Man

"I don't know what happened during the confrontation (only Zimmerman knows that), but I do know that if (a) he hadn't decided to carry a weapon in violation of the neighborhood watch rules and (b) hadn't decided to follow and confront Travon Martin (in direct contradiction to what the 911 operator advised / ordered him to do), Travon would still be alive today. Zimmerman escalated the situation when he made the choice to follow and confront Martin - the fact that he was purportedly getting his ass kicked (which, IMHO, was Martin exercising his right to self-defense) as a result was not an excuse to kill Martin."

Oh, but it was, Derek. See, that's what so many people LIKE about the verdict. It just became so much easier to play gun-toting badass, here in America.

They've just been handed a license they did not possess before today.

Dave
Old 07-13-2013, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
I don't understand how either of you can be so damned apathetic. There are concerns surrounding this trial far beyond Trayvon Martin and George Zimmerman. And no, I'm not talking about race.

Dave
At the risk of sounding even more apathetic, it's because it's of no consequence.

People are killed every day. And while I may go to Hell for saying so, the sanctity of human life is overplayed.

The cheapest commodity on the planet is human life. Simply because we're the only species which can appreciate just how precious life is, but continue to murder not only one another, but anything else that pleases us.

For being the epitome of intelligence on Planet Earth, we are as dumb as a day old pig.

We pass judgment. We believe in good or bad. The one thing which we refuse to admit to ourselves is that we're really no different than the wolf...other than we drive better automobiles.

Chas
Old 07-13-2013, 11:21 PM
Area Man

Quote:
At the risk of sounding even more apathetic, it's because it's of no consequence.

People are killed every day. And while I may go to Hell for saying so, the sanctity of human life is overplayed.

The cheapest commodity on the planet is human life. Simply because we're the only species which can appreciate just how precious life is, but continue to murder not only one another, but anything else that pleases us.

For being the epitome of intelligence on Planet Earth, we are as dumb as a day old pig.

We pass judgment. We believe in good or bad. The one thing which we refuse to admit to ourselves is that we're really no different than the wolf...other than we drive better automobiles.

Chas
Wow.................just wow. That has to be one of the darkest things I've ever read. I just can't give in like that, Chas.

Dave
Old 07-14-2013, 05:24 AM
Abby Normal

Wow, just wow.

What a fucked up country.

I feel genuine rage for the first time in my life over a court case.
Old 07-14-2013, 05:36 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by stereocuuple View Post
now i pray for the healing of our nation.

The red state problem needs to be addressed in earnest, IMHO.
Old 07-14-2013, 05:39 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:

Dave
I don't know how race cannot be talked about here.

The kid was flat out killed because he was black. If he was white he would be alive today.

But you are right, this is a victory for paranoia and it's subculture as well.

Last edited by noonereal; 07-14-2013 at 05:41 AM.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:11 AM
Resident octogenarian

Well NRA and ALEC have now made it perfectly clear - murder is now legal
Old 07-14-2013, 08:12 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:

Dave
Having not watched or listened to TV coverage of the trial, I'm content to defer to those in the jury. They decided quickly and unanimously based upon the evidence presented. Who am I to second guess, particularly when I simply don't give a shit?

Long ago, I came to the realization that the thing I dislike most is when people try to manipulate me. The coverage of this trial was nothing other than an attempt to manipulate the public to serve the vested political interests of partisans and the media itself.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:23 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:

The cheapest commodity on the planet is human life. Simply because we're the only species which can appreciate just how precious life is, but continue to murder not only one another, but anything else that pleases us...
Unfortunately, you are correct. The history of the world and this country is replete with murder, mayhem and the sanctimonious drivel that often accompany them.