Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-28-2016, 01:08 PM

Another Black Eye for Detroit

The looting of the City of Detroit occurred on a variety of levels. Here's just one more:

DPS principal pleads guilty in scam

Smith, 67, of Southfield faces between 46 and 57 months in federal prison for her crime, which involved approving phony purchase orders that allowed a vendor to bill DPS (Detroit Public Schools) for materials that rarely made it to the classroom.

Before accepting her guilty plea Judge Roberts asked Smith if she accepted at least $150,000 in kickbacks from Shy "regardless of how you spent it."

Smith answered yes.

Smith is the first of 12 Detroit principals charged in a broader school corruption case that prosecutors say cheated students out of school supplies that were paid for but rarely delivered.

Smith is cooperating in the on-going investigation, which may get her a lighter sentence, but which may expand the net to more than just 12 principals.

Bastards.
Old 09-08-2016, 11:21 AM

More Detroit school principals sentenced:

Ronald Alexander, ex-principal at Spain Elementary School, Gerlma Johnson, former principal at Drew Academy and Earhart Elementary-Middle School, each received 12 months in prison for stealing money from the district.

Alexander stole $23,000 and Johnson took $22,884.

Third to be sentenced was Tanya Bowman, former principal at Osborn Collegiate Academy of Mathematics, Science and Technology. She received nine months in prison for stealing $12,500.

All three admitted to writing fraudulent invoices for school supplies vendor Norman Shy and then accepting kickback and bribes in return.

Idiots!

...and more sentences are pending for more Detroit school principals who were involved in this.
Old 09-08-2016, 01:02 PM

Then there's the school supplies scam that goes on all across the country, where parents are given a list of items their child should show up to school with on the first day. The list is bulked up way beyond what a single student would need, because they know not all the students will bring supplies.
End result is the parents who care about their kids education end up paying for supplies and those who don't give a shit don't pay a dime. Unfortunately, this in no way represents a needs based system, as many on the low end are far more concerned with their kids education than those higher up the food chain.
Old 09-08-2016, 02:04 PM
Admin

Any breakdown of regular vs. charter schools in this?
Old 09-08-2016, 03:05 PM

These are all Detroit Public Schools.
Old 09-08-2016, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasillaguy View Post
Then there's the school supplies scam that goes on all across the country, where parents are given a list of items their child should show up to school with on the first day. The list is bulked up way beyond what a single student would need, because they know not all the students will bring supplies.
End result is the parents who care about their kids education end up paying for supplies and those who don't give a shit don't pay a dime. Unfortunately, this in no way represents a needs based system, as many on the low end are far more concerned with their kids education than those higher up the food chain.
You don't really worry about stuff like this do you? Buying school supplies?
So somewhere there are parents who can afford pencils but just decide not to so as to save a few dollars.

Hey I think a frisbee just landed in your front yard its those damn kids again,,,
Old 09-08-2016, 04:09 PM

It's about effective incorruptible oversight, as with the business world, see how well poor oversight has served us in banking and finance?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Last edited by Pio1980; 09-08-2016 at 04:12 PM.
Old 09-08-2016, 04:11 PM

Fwiw, re school choice. All public schools should be 'choice' schools.

Old 09-08-2016, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pio1980 View Post
It's about effective incorruptible oversight, as with the business world, see how well poor oversight has served us in banking and finance?

You lost me. Exactly what does deregulation have to do with corrupt principals ripping off the Detroit school system?
Old 09-08-2016, 06:20 PM

Poor or no oversight, someone has to assure that the rules and standards of ethical practice are in place and being observed.

Last edited by Pio1980; 09-08-2016 at 07:47 PM.