Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-27-2010, 06:54 PM

Keeping the peace

Does anyone else find this as disturbing as I do?

Chas

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/artic...14/1060/NEWS01
Old 02-27-2010, 07:23 PM

I don't know. How disturbing do you find it?

Yeah, I find it very disturbing. I think the Sheriff is right to say they're not a militia. They're vigilantes.

This country is coming apart at the seams.

John
Old 02-27-2010, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
I don't know. How disturbing do you find it?

Yeah, I find it very disturbing. I think the Sheriff is right to say they're not a militia. They're vigilantes.

This country is coming apart at the seams.

John
Well, sheriff's are pretty much God in their own counties. But the thought of any of them starting their own private army, complete with a "War Wagon" with a mounted .50 scares the Hell out of me.

Around here, the sheriff and his deputies are classified as "Peace Officers". I don't think they need a .50 to keep the peace.

I also suspect this this guy won't be sheriff after the next election, at least I would hope not.

Chas
Old 02-27-2010, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I also suspect this this guy won't be sheriff after the next election, at least I would hope not.

Chas
I dunno. Northwestern Loozeanna's a pretty weird place.

John
Old 02-27-2010, 08:42 PM
Area Man

I think it's bizarre.

Do people really think something that bad is coming? I'm serious now.
I mean, despite all of our problems, I still think this is the greatest place on earth to live and that we can overcome whatever adversity lies ahead without violence. WTF? I have things I'm disappointed about, and I do worry about what the future holds, but....."The End of Times"? Times are hard and a lot of people are unemployed and suffering, but the answer is to start shooting? WTF is going on in their minds? I could be the next to hit the unemployment line, but I fail to see how spraying lead is going to solve anything.

What in the hell is going on, guys?

Dave
Old 02-27-2010, 08:48 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
I think it's bizarre.

I mean, despite all of our problems, I still think this is the greatest place on earth to live and that we can overcome whatever adversity lies ahead without violence. WTF? I have things I'm disappointed about, and I do worry about what the future holds, but....."The End of Times"? Times are hard and a lot of people are unemployed and suffering, but the answer is to start shooting? WTF is going on in their minds? I could be the next to hit the unemployment line, but I fail to see how spraying lead is going to solve anything.

Dave

Some people do. Hell drive through the streets of Detroit and tell me how safe you feel.
Old 02-27-2010, 08:52 PM
Area Man

Then we have the "Oath Keepers" which appears to be a group attempting to infiltrate our police and emergency services and subvert the authority of the legitimate leaders of those institutions. Sorry, but I would rather have "Big Government" than live in a nation full of vigilante groups who make their own rules and play judge, jury and executioner as they damn well see fit. One could argue that the first is oppressive, but to my mind, the second is completely insane. Nothing short of Anarchy.

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 02-27-2010 at 08:56 PM.
Old 02-27-2010, 08:56 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Some people do. Hell drive through the streets of Detroit and tell me how safe you feel.
My father worked for Chrysler. Once in the 1970s, we had to go to Detroit, and Pops got lost. We ended up in a very shitty place. It was scary as hell then. I can only imagine what you've got there now. But, I have heard that it's mostly abandoned now?

Dave
Old 02-27-2010, 08:56 PM

Quote:
I think it's bizarre.

Dave
I don't think the shooting's gonna start, but I look at things through my eyes.

Anyway, I ain't gonna start shooting. I just hope the fuzz don't start shooting up the A&P with a .50 because some slob stole a loaf of bread.

But I tend to agree, things are getting more bizarre by the day.

Chas
Old 02-27-2010, 09:00 PM

Quote:
I think it's bizarre.

Dave
I've said this before but, really, radical right wing Christians have been directing their followers to join the military and police for a long time now. It's all about the Army of Light versus the Army of Darkness. These people are very serious about this stuff. Crazy but serious.

Neo-Nazis and white supremacists have been doing the same thing for different reasons for a while too but that's another story.

John