Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-04-2010, 05:38 AM
Administrator

This going on in your state to ?

Senate votes not to rescind 3% pay raise for unionized state workers

Mark Hornbeck / Detroit News Lansing Bureau

Lansing -- A 3 percent pay raise for 35,000 unionized state employees is safe, for now.
The state Senate failed Wednesday to rescind the hike by a vote of 22-15, four votes shy of the 26 required to pass the measure on a two-thirds majority. The vote fell mostly along partisan lines with Republicans voting in favor and Democrats opposing.
The resolution was an effort to save the cash-strapped state budget $48 million. The Senate may reconsider its vote.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detnews.com/article/20100...#ixzz0hCtVc6Ww

Given the choice between a raise and your job, what are you going to take. Well if your from Michigan, you scream show me the money !

Morons..
Old 03-04-2010, 06:08 AM
Abby Normal

Last year I had many friends who were very relived to give up 10% of there current salaries, managers 15% to retain there jobs.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:39 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonereal View Post
Last year I had many friends who were very relived to give up 10% of there current salaries, managers 15% to retain there jobs.
I'm waiting for this to happen where I work. The weird thing is we got a three percent increase, and a small bonus. The American managers didn't want to give us anything, the Italians made them do it anyways. (Non-Union, BTW).

Dave
Old 03-04-2010, 08:48 AM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
I'm waiting for this to happen where I work. The weird thing is we got a three percent increase, and a small bonus. The American managers didn't want to give us anything, the Italians made them do it anyways. (Non-Union, BTW).

Dave
I believe that Unions raise the pay expectations for much more of the job market than the unionized work force. Your Italian ownership has likely calculated just how much of a package it takes to keep employees from looking to a union to improve their circumstances. The better a job the unions do of representing their members, the more the non-union companies have to offer their employees to keep the unions at bay.

I think the Reagan firing of the air traffic controllers sent a signal to management that it's OK to use any means possible to fight unions. The decline in union membership coincides with the growth in the income gap between workers and management. Although I don't hold out a lot of hope that it will happen, I see increased union representation in the workforce as one of the only effective ways to respond to the Corporate States of America.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 03-04-2010, 09:32 AM
Area Man

And I would happen to agree with you, Don. I just thought I'd comment on my situation.

Dave
Old 03-04-2010, 12:14 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
And I would happen to agree with you, Don. I just thought I'd comment on my situation.

Dave
Didn't think I'd get an argument from you about that one. I just saw it as a way to get on my Union soapbox.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 03-04-2010, 12:22 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

I don't know about unions here getting raises, but the public mood is something close to a nasty growl. The politicos of all stripes better watch out.

Pete
Old 03-04-2010, 01:49 PM

I dunno. The Patco thing was, my Dad said, about a LOT more than simple labor vs management issues. Patco was trying to box the President, and by extention, the whole US government, into a corner. THAT could not be allowed to happen. Period. Otherwise, you'd end up like Great Britain was in the late Seventies, when the entire nation was held hostage to the whims of several unions. Or even more extreme, like Italy.
Old 03-04-2010, 01:55 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
I dunno. The Patco thing was, my Dad said, about a LOT more than simple labor vs management issues. Patco was trying to box the President, and by extention, the whole US government, into a corner. THAT could not be allowed to happen. Period. Otherwise, you'd end up like Great Britain was in the late Seventies, when the entire nation was held hostage to the whims of several unions. Or even more extreme, like Italy.
I'm not one to sing the Gipper's praises, but his PATCO action was the right thing to do. Federal employees' unions are prohibited by law from striking - end of story. It would have been irresponsible to not fire the PATCO controllers considering their actions' impact on the national transportation infrastructure.
Old 03-04-2010, 02:15 PM
Resident octogenarian

And so we wound up with a bunch of amateurs doing air traffic control?