Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:38 AM
Loyal Opposition

An exclusive club?

Thought I might spend my 1K post on something semi-substantive.

I have thoroughly enjoyed this board - almost as much as AK. The regulars here have developed a sense of camaraderie and good will that demonstrates this board's good lineage. However, I occasionally look at the membership numbers, and despite new sign-ups, it appears pretty static. What I wonder is: do we drive people off?

I agree with holding posters to a standard - i.e., don't just mouth propaganda if you're not willing or prepared to back it up. Some have come and gone without really trying to discuss issues, and those I don't miss. Other than the shouters, have we, the participants, made it too hard to break into the discussion? I have never felt excluded, but I'm a born blowhard.

I don't pretend to offer an answer, just an opinion. I would like to welcome more here and make sure this site survives. At the same time, however, I appreciate those who are willing to present information that provides a legitimate reason to consider a different point of view. I particularly appreciate those who speak up to maintain the level of respect that exists here. Can this site grow and still maintain the sense of community that exists here? That is all. Thank you.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 03-04-2010, 08:44 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

I too have recently wondered why a few more from AK haven't wandered over and stayed. Maybe we seem too edumacated over here.
Old 03-04-2010, 10:48 AM
Resident octogenarian

I am with the standup comic who always closed with "If there is any group that I have not offended please let me know."
Old 03-04-2010, 11:22 AM

I think perhaps its that they don't stay w/us long enuff to really get the "flavor" of this place-or of the personalities involved. Which is THEIR loss.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:35 AM
Area Man

The way I see it is thus; "If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen."

If they've come to have intelligent conversation, mixed with a litte humor and comraderie, fine. If they've come here because they want to preach from on high, or throw around insults and talk shit to everyone, then good riddence to them. We have many good conversations, with intelligent, thoughtfull points raised by folks with differing opinions and we have fun doing it. If there are people who come here looking to be agreed with 100% of the time, or to do nothing more than stir up shit, they will be disappointed.

And I see nothing wrong with that.

(Having said that; I'm always right, and you're all a bunch of idiots.)

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 03-04-2010 at 11:38 AM.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
( I'm always right)

Dave
Must be single.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:10 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
The way I see it is thus; "If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen."

If they've come to have intelligent conversation, mixed with a litte humor and comraderie, fine. If they've come here because they want to preach from on high, or throw around insults and talk shit to everyone, then good riddence to them. We have many good conversations, with intelligent, thoughtfull points raised by folks with differing opinions and we have fun doing it. If there are people who come here looking to be agreed with 100% of the time, or to do nothing more than stir up shit, they will be disappointed.

And I see nothing wrong with that.

(Having said that; I'm always right, and you're all a bunch of idiots.)

Dave
Yeah, well, to very loosely paraphrase Merrylander, go perform a sex act that impossible for everyone but earthworms, and if you're too ignorant to understand that, go read a biology book.

Actually, it looks like we share the same attitude about this place.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 03-04-2010, 12:28 PM

There are really only a dozen of us. No kidding. That's all that ever post on a regular basis. I like it that way. I spout off crap here and I'm pretty sure there aren't too many people looking to see me make an ass of myself. And it's found it's way to a decent group of guys. I welcome anyone who wants to be part of what this thing has become, but I kind of think of us as the know-it-all guys at the end of the bar. I don't need the whole world down there. Just leave us in peace to figure it all out on our own.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:47 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

I remember a news story years ago, when the net was new. A group of guys had their own room and talked pretty openly.

One guy started discussing his plans to murder his wife. Another member turned him in to the cops.

He got booted off the site for breaking their code of silence! The other guys were angry at him.

Anyway one thing I've come to learn about AK is how absolutely civilized it is. It's the most decent site overall that I've been a member of.

And perhaps that precludes a number of folks from getting involved here. It can be intimidating, with all our magnificent brilliance shriveling up dissenting opinions

Seriously some folks just don't enjoy arguing like we do.

I'll take a draft Bud.

Pete
Old 03-04-2010, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
I remember a news story years ago, when the net was new. A group of guys had their own room and talked pretty openly.

One guy started discussing his plans to murder his wife. Another member turned him in to the cops.

He got booted off the site for breaking their code of silence! The other guys were angry at him.

Anyway one thing I've come to learn about AK is how absolutely civilized it is. It's the most decent site overall that I've been a member of.

And perhaps that precludes a number of folks from getting involved here. It can be intimidating, with all our magnificent brilliance shriveling up dissenting opinions

Seriously some folks just don't enjoy arguing like we do.

I'll take a draft Bud.

Pete
I'm thinkin' that tomorrow I'm gonna drink some beer, mebee smoke a cigarette on Gubmitt Property, and spit on th' sidewalk.

Just glad that muh friends here ain't gonna rat me out!!!

Chas