Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-31-2012, 10:02 AM

Well I am wrong in that the only union votes that really count are in Ohio and Florida.
And maybe Colorado and New Mexico. States like Kansas and California are already won by the candidates
Old 08-31-2012, 10:05 AM
reflexionar

I wouldn't vote for him if I was a union guy either.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpholland View Post
You are not a union guy so how do you know?
Old 08-31-2012, 10:24 AM
reflexionar

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
You are not a union guy so how do you know?
I saw the wink, but will say it anyway. I bend pipe and tubing for a living in a small non-union shop. I am very good at my job, I show up on time every day and work overtime when necessary. My employer acknowledges this and rewards me with pay and benefits that are equivelent to a lot of unions, so why would I want to pay union dues on top of what Uncle Sam already takes out of my check?
Old 08-31-2012, 10:30 AM

Quote:
I saw the wink, but will say it anyway. I bend pipe and tubing for a living in a small non-union shop. I am very good at my job, I show up on time every day and work overtime when necessary. My employer acknowledges this and rewards me with pay and benefits that are equivelent to a lot of unions, so why would I want to pay union dues on top of what Uncle Sam already takes out of my check?
Yeah but deep down you know you do not have the job security many unions members doing your trade enjoy. I bet they would not trade places with you. I am sure you are a great worker. So am I.

I got two full time job offers when I retired from the Navy. One was union one was not. Guess which one I took?
Old 08-31-2012, 10:48 AM
reflexionar

Quote:
Yeah but deep down you know you do not have the job security many unions members doing your trade enjoy. I bet they would not trade places with you. I am sure you are a great worker. So am I.

I got two full time job offers when I retired from the Navy. One was union one was not. Guess which one I took?
Tell that to the union guys here in Portland that used to work for Freightliner until they pulled up and went to Mexico because they couldn't afford to stay any longer. Or maybe the taxpayers would like to understand why over 40% of the city's intake goes to paying debt mostly made up of interest and retirement benefits.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Yeah but deep down you know you do not have the job security many unions members doing your trade enjoy.
Or retirement benefits.

John
Old 09-01-2012, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Totally clueless, Who got you the 40 hour work week you enjoy? Who is responsible for you getting the overtime pay you enjoy. Who championed worker safety. Who got wages up to a scale that people can live on. Who demanded time off each work week. What about paid vacation Who demanded health insurance, and retirement plans The unions did it.

Without the unions you would be chained into a building bending pipe 12 to 18 hours a day seven days a week. You would be paid just enough to exist in company housing and buy what you need from the company store. You might think your employer really loves you, I have news for you. If he did not fear losing you to a union job he would not pay you the money he does. He does not have to pay for your healthcare and he has no obligation to contribute to your retirement plan. That is if he does it now.

Do you want to go back to the Triangle Shirtwaist factory days? Think about it. It can happen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triangl...t_Factory_fire

I like Jay, but his politics baffle me. We are basically in the same line of work. He takes advantage of the union benefits but has no appreciation for what unions have done for him. I am not a union worker. I make the same or more than the guys working in the union shops. My bennies are very good. I bet Jays are too.

If for some reason I left my current job I have standing offers from Trane, Carrier, and Lennox to go to work in management. I will stick to field work until I can't do it any more.

BTW mp welcome to political chat. Get your fireproof suit on so you can stick around for awhile.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:50 AM
reflexionar

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgrr View Post
Totally clueless, Who got you the 40 hour work week you enjoy? Who is responsible for you getting the overtime pay you enjoy. Who championed worker safety. Who got wages up to a scale that people can live on. Who demanded time off each work week. What about paid vacation Who demanded health insurance, and retirement plans The unions did it.

Without the unions you would be chained into a building bending pipe 12 to 18 hours a day seven days a week. You would be paid just enough to exist in company housing and buy what you need from the company store. You might think your employer really loves you, I have news for you. If he did not fear losing you to a union job he would not pay you the money he does. He does not have to pay for your healthcare and he has no obligation to contribute to your retirement plan. That is if he does it now.

Do you want to go back to the Triangle Shirtwaist factory days? Think about it. It can happen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triangl...t_Factory_fire

I like Jay, but his politics baffle me. We are basically in the same line of work. He takes advantage of the union benefits but has no appreciation for what unions have done for him. I am not a union worker. I make the same or more than the guys working in the union shops. My bennies are very good. I bet Jays are too.

If for some reason I left my current job I have standing offers from Trane, Carrier, and Lennox to go to work in management. I will stick to field work until I can't do it any more.

BTW mp welcome to political chat. Get your fireproof suit on so you can stick around for awhile.

Was that you stating you are totally clueless? I don't think I have said I was anti-union. I am friends with a lot of union guys, just choose not to be in one. I also think that they are changing. They are turning into small governments in their own right that are more concerned with sustaining themselves than protecting their people.

I don't need a fireproof suit. I am a big boy now. I learned yesterday that sticks and stones can break my bones, but names can never hurt me. My friends and I can have political disagreements, but we still walk away friends.

The one thing I have found amazing in here is how someone can state a simple political opinion and immediately get personally attacked. Guess that is politics though.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:
And, clearly, you're not. But, if you were a "union guy", you'd rather vote for the party that has a history of destroying unions and promoting "right to work" legislation? Now, there's some goper logic for ya!

John