Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-09-2012, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
Enough with all of the voter fraud BS. The real reason the right wants voter ID laws is to disenfranchise as many on the lower rungs of the economic ladder as possible.

Regards,

D-Ray
Absolutely.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:53 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Enough with all of the voter fraud BS. The real reason the right wants voter ID laws is to disenfranchise as many on the lower rungs of the economic ladder as possible.

Regards,

D-Ray
Duh. However, I will acknowledge the strength of the GOP argument on this issue (and not many others, BTW).
Old 04-09-2012, 05:19 PM
Area Man

Quote:

Regards,

D-Ray
Including outright suspension of voting rights, apparently.

Dave
Old 04-09-2012, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Not Detroit, Benton Harbor. Agreed, the place is a mess and the aforementioned elected officials are losers. No argument there. And, the "emergency manager" has been there for a while, I have no issue with that. The line was crossed with changes made to the law, (By Gov. Snyder) allowing him to suspend voting and summarily strip elected officials of any authority. To my mind this constitutes dictatorship. The people have a right to choose their leaders. If said leaders are idiots, so be it until the next election rolls around, or the people petition for a recall. It shouldn't be up to Jenny Granholm or Rick Snyder to pick and choose who they want to be mayor of wherever.

But, I can see, in the current political climate, this sort of thing going national. And that's a genie that needs to stay in the bottle, IMHO. (Regardless of which party has the state/federal majorities or WH.)

Dave
The argument is a non-starter with me, Dave. If the city can work its way out on its own, fine. However, it could not work its way out with the "Emergency Manager", and that should speak volumes. The kicker with both Detroit and Benton Harbor is that now they can't dig their way out without an infusion of state money.

Now, when Steve Rattner was pegged as the auto czar by Obama to dictate to GM and Chrysler how things were going to go once the Federal loan guarantees were in place, that was all just fine. Now Benton Harbor and Detroit are going to be taking state money, and a synonymous arrangement is not fine? Help me understand the logic, please.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:34 PM

Quote:

Regards,

D-Ray
No, its to keep Chicago politics from continuing to seep out of Chicago.

Enough of the racist BS, please. The left's continues to play that card for every reason under the sun.

But now that you've played it: please inform me how showing a driver's license, state issued ID card, or other similar proof of ID is "disenfranchising to the lower rungs of the economic ladder". One must show proof of ID to collect, for example, government benefits such as food stamps or welfare, don't they?

http://www.nlsa.us/resources/benefit...tion_tips.html
Old 04-09-2012, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Duh. However, I will acknowledge the strength of the GOP argument on this issue (and not many others, BTW).
Yeah, common sense works that way.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:46 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
No, its to keep Chicago politics from continuing to seep out of Chicago.

Enough of the racist BS, please. The left's continues to play that card for every reason under the sun.

But now that you've played it: please inform me how showing a driver's license, state issued ID card, or other similar proof of ID is "disenfranchising to the lower rungs of the economic ladder". One must show proof of ID to collect, for example, government benefits such as food stamps or welfare, don't they?

http://www.nlsa.us/resources/benefit...tion_tips.html
Where did I mention race? Increasing economic stratification is an issue for people of all colors. But as long as you're playing the race card who is the "they" who are receiving food stamps and welfare?

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 04-09-2012, 05:50 PM

Oh, sorry. I misunderstood the comment. So, its just the poor that are being disenfranchised by the request for ID? Great. My question still stands. How does this disenfranchise the poor?
Old 04-09-2012, 06:00 PM
Area Man

Because GM and Chrysler are not Democracies. Never have been. When they chose to take federal funds knowingly agreed to submit to federal control.

The next point might expose where our ideologies diverge, or maybe not, if you really think about it;

Governments are not businesses. And never should be. Businesses are autocratic, command and control by nature. In government, we call this dictatorship.

Yes, the town/city recieves funds from the state. But have the citizenry voted to allow state seizure of their local government? Did they petition the state to oust their local government?

No. It was thrust upon them.

And, as I understand it from the couple hours I spent reading up on it yesterday, there may be other motivations involved other than simply "rescuing" a beleaguered town.

There are plenty of beleaguered towns in this country that no one seems to give a hoot about. They don't have prime lake-front acreage..................

Dave
Old 04-09-2012, 06:14 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
Yeah, common sense works that way.
Thanks. Common sense ain't all that common.