Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-19-2012, 03:06 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Interesting article on weather.

http://www.longrangeweather.com/global_temperatures.htm

"Until recently, global temperatures were more than a degree Fahrenheit warmer when compared to the overall 20th Century mean. From August of 2007 through February of 2008, the Earth’s mean reading dropped to near the 200-year average temperature of 57 degrees. Since that time, the mean reading has been fluctuating. (See Long-Term Chart Below.)

We, Cliff Harris and Randy Mann, believe that the warming and even the cooling of global temperatures are the result of long-term climatic cycles, solar activity, sea-surface temperature patterns and more. However, Mankind’s activities of the burning of fossil fuels, massive deforestations, the replacing of grassy surfaces with asphalt and concrete, the ‘Urban Heat Island Effect,’ are making conditions ‘worse’ and this will ultimately enhance the Earth’s warming process down the meteorological roadway in the next several decades.

From the late 1940s through the early 1970s, a climate research organization called the Weather Science Foundation of Crystal Lake, Illinois, determined that the planet’s warm, cold, wet and dry periods were the result of alternating short-term and long-term climatic cycles. These researchers and scientists also concluded that the Earth’s ever-changing climate likewise has influenced global and regional economies, human and animal migrations, science, religion and the arts as well as shifting forms of government and strength of leadership.

Much of this data was based upon thousands of hours of research done by Dr. Raymond H. Wheeler and his associates during the 1930s and 1940s at the University of Kansas. Dr. Wheeler was well-known for his discovery of various climate cycles, including his highly-regarded ‘510-Year Drought Clock’ that he detailed at the end of the ‘Dust Bowl’ era in the late 1930s.

During the early 1970s, our planet was in the midst of a colder and drier weather cycle. Inflationary recessions and oil shortages led to rationing and long gas lines at service stations worldwide. The situation at that time was far worse than it is now, at least for the time being.

The Weather Science Foundation also predicted, based on these various climate cycles, that our planet would turn much warmer and wetter by the early 2000s, resulting in general global prosperity. They also said that we would be seeing at this time widespread weather ‘extremes.’ There’s little doubt that most of their early predictions came true.

Our recent decline in the Earth’s temperature may be a combination of both long-term and short-term climate cycles, decreased solar activity and the development of a strong long-lasting La Nina, the current cooler than normal sea-surface temperature event in the south-central Pacific Ocean. Sunspot activity since the late 2000s has decreased to the lowest levels since ‘The Little Ice Age’ ended in the mid-to late 1800s. This "cool spell," though, may only be a brief interruption to the Earth’s overall warming trend. Only time will tell.

Based on these predictions, it appears that much warmer readings may be expected for Planet Earth, especially by the 2030s, that will eventually top 1998's global highest reading of 58.3 degrees. It’s quite possible we could see an average temperature in the low 60s. Until then, this ‘cooling period’ may last from just a few months to as long as several years, especially if sunspot activity remains very low.

We at Harris-Mann Climatology, www.LongRangeWeather.com, believe that our prolonged cycle of wide weather ‘extremes,’ the worst in at least 1,000 years, will continue and perhaps become even more severe, especially by the mid 2010s. We're already seen some of the worst winter weather conditions in early 2011. There should be more powerful storms, including major hurricanes and increasing deadly tornadoes. There will likewise be widespread flooding, crop-destroying droughts and freezes and violent weather of all types including ice storms, large-sized hail and torrential downpours. Severe droughts will also become more severe in areas prone to drier conditions.

The harsh conditions will likely lead to additional crop damage or losses resulting in higher food prices. This is already the case in early 2011.

Dr. Wheeler also discovered that approximately every 102 years, a much warmer and drier climatic cycle affects our planet. The last such ‘warm and dry’ peak occurred in 1936, at the end of the infamous ‘Dust Bowl’ period. During that time, extreme heat and dryness, combined with a multitude of problems during the ‘Great Depression,’ made living conditions practically intolerable.

The next ‘warm and dry’ climatic phase is scheduled to arrive in the early 2030s, probably peaking around 2038. It is expected to produce even hotter and drier weather patterns than we saw during the late 1990s and early 2000s.

But, we should remember, that the Earth’s coldest periods have usually followed excessive warmth. Such was the case when our planet moved from the Medieval Warm Period between 900 and 1300 A.D. to the sudden ‘Little Ice Age,’ which peaked in the 17th Century.

By the end of this 21st Century, a big cool down may occur that could ultimately lead to expanding glaciers worldwide, even in the mid-latitudes. We could possibly see even a new Great Ice Age. Based on long-term climatic data, these major ice ages have recurred about every 11,500 years. Well, you guessed it. The last extensive ice age was approximately 11,500 years ago, so we may be due. Again, only time will tell."

,-,-,-,-,-,-,-,-,

I tried snipping but it's hard to cut something out of this one.

Pete
Old 04-19-2012, 06:40 PM

Well Pete, you've convinced me. Nobody knows shit about climate change.

But I have seen the light.

Think I'll just close out my current corporation, and open another called Green Solutions LLC, "Innovative restorations for the 21st century", or some other high sounding drivel.

I'll even buy green polo shirts for my dunderheads to wear, with a GS LLC logo on the pocket. Might even get some cheap assed made in China green ink pens and ball caps to pass out amongst the suckers.

And no matter what crazy pie in the sky notion my customers want, I'll find them the subcontractor with the most "green" snob appeal, and do it at my current rate of $30 per + 17% of the gross.

I guess I might as well fuck 'em like everyone else.

I'll tell you what, there ain't no percentage in trying to do people right and save them some money...both short term and long term.

Goddamn people are getting dumber by the day, and they want to be fucked...it makes them feel good about themselves. They've been brainwashed.

I wouldn't even have to advertize that much. It's been done for me by the government and corporations like GE.

I'm a fool to continue to sail into the wind. And should I become so callous as to do so, I'll even set up one of those "No money down, 100% financing" operations and fuck 'em twice. It's not that hard, unless you have a conscience.

I know. I looked into it once, and didn't have the stomach to pursue it.

Chas
Old 04-20-2012, 07:12 AM
Resident octogenarian

"We, Cliff Harris and Randy Mann, believe that the warming and even the cooling of global temperatures are the result of long-term climatic cycles, solar activity, sea-surface temperature patterns and more. However, Mankind’s activities of the burning of fossil fuels, massive deforestations, the replacing of grassy surfaces with asphalt and concrete, the ‘Urban Heat Island Effect,’ are making conditions ‘worse’ and this will ultimately enhance the Earth’s warming process down the meteorological roadway in the next several decades."

Hmm?
Old 04-20-2012, 07:55 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Chas, you're not installing cow methane harvesters yet? Don't you know they'll save the freakin' planet??!

Seems easier to be shady doesn't it. As long as we've got a moment at the firepit of life with a cold beer occasionally it's probably worth it. Once in a very blue moon someone recognizes decency, I hope. Gosh, I'm Eastern European cynical, and you're making me sad!! People are idiots though.

Rob I have no doubt we're killing the planet. I tell people if they want to help plant a tree or eight. Giving the Masters of the Universe unlimited arbitrary power isn't going to stop folks breathing, although it'll probably make it much more expensive to do so

Pete
Old 04-20-2012, 08:19 AM
Area Man

It was at it's coldest during the Jamestown Settlement?

Wonder if that had anything to do with the diappearance?
Old 04-20-2012, 08:32 AM

What a bunch of garbage all this climate change nonsense has been. It's really no surprise that this is the kind of insupportable speculation that gets latched onto so completely by the left. Warming is bad - my ass. How about cooling? That's what we really need to be worried about. Hopefully man-made warming can mitigate some of the effects of the next ice age... although I don't think so. We're potentially headed for real problems and instead of crying about the demise of the polar bears, lefties will be lamenting that they've spent decades fighting to outlaw guns when everyone's going to need one to keep the polar bears out of their backyards when they migrate down over the ice sheets. Them bears be good eatin' too, too bad we've got nothing to shoot them with... because, you know, crops don't grow so well in frozen ground.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:12 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
. . .Rob I have no doubt we're killing the planet. I tell people if they want to help plant a tree or eight. Giving the Masters of the Universe unlimited arbitrary power isn't going to stop folks breathing, although it'll probably make it much more expensive to do so

Pete
We have planted about 100 since we moved into this place, just added close to twenty Norway Spruce last year. Good thing we have the golf cart as lugging 2 gallon cans of water for them can get a little tiring, especially uphill.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:30 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezz View Post
What a bunch of garbage all this climate change nonsense has been. It's really no surprise that this is the kind of insupportable speculation that gets latched onto so completely by the left. Warming is bad - my ass. How about cooling? That's what we really need to be worried about. Hopefully man-made warming can mitigate some of the effects of the next ice age... although I don't think so. We're potentially headed for real problems and instead of crying about the demise of the polar bears, lefties will be lamenting that they've spent decades fighting to outlaw guns when everyone's going to need one to keep the polar bears out of their backyards when they migrate down over the ice sheets. Them bears be good eatin' too, too bad we've got nothing to shoot them with... because, you know, crops don't grow so well in frozen ground.
Calm down. It's no reason to fly into a rage and start screaming your head off of at the town hall meeting you excitable freak.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:51 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Rob that's great. I've cut down a few and planted a few. This year I'm going to plant some small starter trees in the back as some of the older ones are getting ugly, and I've planted a hedge down the southwest side of the back where it turns into my neighbors lawn, when they grow in (they grow to 25+ feet) they'll shade the back 2/3 so much it should kill the grassish ground cover, encourage the moss, hopefully make it even more woodsy. It's already nice considering I'm in the suburbs. The ferns we've been planting are starting to take off back there too.

My 'retaining pond' is dry and empty for the first time in a year. What a wet year it's been.

Mezz I'm very skeptical about various claims of this or that. Sure look like power graps to me, and look at the Kyoto failure (don't hear much about THAT). Love how it means I doubt 'science'. But it's undeniable that as we rape the earth we're causing damage, forget carbon dioxide. They used to say a squirrel could go from the Hudson river to the Mississippi without touching the ground. We're also extremely good at spreading heavy metals across the planet and poisoning the oceans with fertilizer runoff.

Agree about bear meat My neighbor's brought some over occasionally.

We need a space program!

Pete
Old 04-20-2012, 10:24 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

I'm not sure I'd attribute too much credence to these guys and their pretty chart. Neither are scientists. They're frickin' TV weathermen. You know the type - they cannot even predict tomorrow's weather accurately, but look good in front of an interactive weather map.

http://www.longrangeweather.com/About-Us.htm

It seems to me that these cats are more like the folks who write the Farmer's Almanac.